2 days for a service?

Wedgepilot

Rocker66
4 minutes ago, commuter said:

I find it odd too. For me its never been about collecting the packet tops to be " biker". I fix/ service my own bike because if I fix/ service it , I know its really been done and its been done properly. Its also done when it is completely convenient for me and my bike is always ready to go when i need it. I am also interested in what makes things tick so electrical issues or mechanical issues aren't a problem. I don't class myself as a biker, I'm just a bloke who would rather spend his cash on something other than putting food on a motorcycle business persons table. The fact that I can fix and service my own modes of transport is something which I regard as a skill worth having whilst others choose to do other things like growing pansies which I regard as a waste of time.

Good for you if you enjoy it. Personally all the time I can afford to pay someone else to do it I will do so. I get absolutely no pleasure from working on bikes so would rather spend my time doing stuff that does interest me. Be a boring old world if we all had the same interest.

• Like 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tex

• Rocker66

• PoppetM

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thank you for your correction and apologise for my lack of eloquence. I intended to refer to anyone employed by a dealership who either described or found the process of adjusting the NC valve

Talking about 'tricky' valves..   Donkey's years ago I worked for a Ducati dealer (some poor bugger had to..) and shimming the desmodromic valve gear on those (bevel gear) models wasn't that

Valves need to be cold otherwise false readings  - I like to do the biggie service  over a couple of days but I do a lot more then the dealer  

7 minutes ago, commuter said:

I find it odd too. For me its never been about collecting the packet tops to be " biker". I fix/ service my own bike because if I fix/ service it , I know its really been done and its been done properly. Its also done when it is completely convenient for me and my bike is always ready to go when i need it. I am also interested in what makes things tick so electrical issues or mechanical issues aren't a problem. I don't class myself as a biker, I'm just a bloke who would rather spend his cash on something other than putting food on a motorcycle business persons table. The fact that I can fix and service my own modes of transport is something which I regard as a skill worth having whilst others choose to do other things like growing pansies which I regard as a waste of time.

As you entirely entitled to do. I make no bones about it; if it saves you money and you enjoy doing it then absolutely go for it. This is part of the reason I have taught my other half to cook things from scratch rather than use jars and packet mixes; I find it enjoyable and saves me at the till at the super market.

I have neither the skill, technical aptitude nor the inclination to get me hands dirty with mechanical stuff. It's partly I can't be bothered (and want my time diverted elsewhere) and partly complete and total inability to do it. I like riding it so naturally I must factor in the servicing costs to cover my ambivalence and ineptitude. The figure comes out at a price Im happy to pay so thats that. :ahappy:

• Like 3
Rocker66
2 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

As you entirely entitled to do. I make no bones about it; if it saves you money and you enjoy doing it then absolutely go for it. This is part of the reason I have taught my other half to cook things from scratch rather than use jars and packet mixes; I find it enjoyable and saves me at the till at the super market.

I have neither the skill, technical aptitude nor the inclination to get me hands dirty with mechanical stuff. It's partly I can't be bothered (and want my time diverted elsewhere) and partly complete and total inability to do it. I like riding it so naturally I must factor in the servicing costs to cover my ambivalence and ineptitude. The figure comes out at a price Im happy to pay so thats that. :ahappy:

Well said.

We need another cookery thread. :)

I must admit that when we were both working there were jars and packets in the cupboard. Having to produce a meal for three hungry kids didn’t help, either.

Now, I really enjoy cooking. And everything is done from scratch. 

If you enjoy working on your own bikes and cars (and have the required skills) then, sure, go for it. But those who don’t shouldn’t be made to feel, in any way, inferior. 

• Thanks 1
Andy m
On 23/11/2017 at 21:44, fj_stuart said:

NC owners should think themselves lucky. A parallel twin poking out the front, single cam, rockers and screw adjustment? - it doesn't get much easier than that.

Hydraulic tappets on a single here (and no radiator) 😈😁

Just having a cuppa after getting the Rogan Josh going in the slow cooker. Should have washed my hands, chile jaffa cake isn't going to catch on anytime soon. Could be worse I learned to wash my hands between chopping chilies and visiting the smallest room the hot way 😢🤕😓

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Haha 3
On 11/11/2017 at 08:58, Nc750matt said:

hi guys,  thanks for the advice.  I am in Derby.  Not sure why the price didn't include adjustment but the chap did make sure I knew that, oddly enough.  He did go on to say the shims and adjustments if required would all be extra but unlikely to need adjustment.

Erm, correct me if I'm wrong but the NC does not use shims. It s old school lock nuts.

On 11/11/2017 at 11:16, Tex said:

No. Thankfully Honda saw fit to fit screw and locknut adjustment. Easier by far than shims, but need lots more attention.

And the dealer didn't know this?

Late to the party as usual.:cry: