2 days for a service?

Wedgepilot

Rocker66
2 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

I probably missed the bit where some said you were less of a motorcyclist if you don't do your own work...

I know plenty that don't work in their own machines, but they have the licence, the bike  🏍 and possibly leathers - they are a motorcyclist (except th one I just saw on the floor on my commute, didn't look good 😐)

Firstly, I don't know what I am doing, secondly I just don't have the time and I need a quick turnabout to have my bike for the purpose I bought it, my daily commute. 

One day (if retirement exists) I might look into doing a course, as it would be something that would interest me, but right now having a full time job, a hefty commute, a house to run and family to look after and studying still...it isn't going to happen in the next few years. 

I still love riding it though! 😀

It was suggest by a member some time ago when I mentioned that I didn’t do my own servicing.

• Like 1
  • Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tex

• Rocker66

• PoppetM

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I thank you for your correction and apologise for my lack of eloquence. I intended to refer to anyone employed by a dealership who either described or found the process of adjusting the NC valve

Talking about 'tricky' valves..   Donkey's years ago I worked for a Ducati dealer (some poor bugger had to..) and shimming the desmodromic valve gear on those (bevel gear) models wasn't that

Valves need to be cold otherwise false readings  - I like to do the biggie service  over a couple of days but I do a lot more then the dealer  

PoppetM
12 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

It was suggest by a member some time ago when I mentioned that I didn’t do my own servicing.

Ah well, there is plenty of us that don't. I bet they don't do their own ironing or clean their own toilets 😜

(Poppet runs and hides!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
Wedgepilot
10 hours ago, PoppetM said:

Alan, Chiswick Honda told me that and I was booked on another S as a loan bike two weeks ago.

I dropped the bike off at 8am. By 9am I had the Vehicle Check video sent to me at work. By 10am I had the call about the front pads, so gave them the go ahead to replace it. By 3pm it was ready to collect. So not feeling happy with the loan bike, I went and fetched my own bike.

Take the loan bike, and if they let you know it's ready same day, happy days :) 

Thanks Sam, that's more like what I was expecting to hear. I'm dropping the bike off at 8am, so it will be stone cold by 9 in this weather 😀

My pads need done as well, not much meat left on them! 

• Like 1
Wedgepilot

I always used to do my own servicing, cars and bikes. I found stripping and cleaning the CVT on my scooters very therapeutic, and it gave me a chance to play with different roller weights. 

Haven't got time these days, so happy to pay someone else.

PoppetM
6 minutes ago, Wedgepilot said:

Thanks Sam, that's more like what I was expecting to hear. I'm dropping the bike off at 8am, so it will be stone cold by 9 in this weather 😀

My pads need done as well, not much meat left on them! 

Silly question, how can you see what you have left on the pads?  I was down to a mm on the front...ooops! 

Just a visual?

Edited by PoppetM
Wedgepilot
1 minute ago, PoppetM said:

Silly question, how can you see what you have left on the pads?  I was down to a mm on the front...ooops! 

Just a visual?

Yes, just visual. I shine a torch on them, you can see where the friction material is.

• Thanks 1
Andy m

Yes.

Its easier if you take the calliper off and get the brake cleaner out while you are at it, but most can be seen. When the slot in the rubbing material has worn away you need to start having a much closer, more frequent look.

Andy 

• Thanks 1
PoppetM

Ta, I mean you don't check your pads on a car... .I am still learning 😀

• Like 1
Andy m

These are not really worn but still *******d.

https://sites.google.com/site/yorkshireoutbacksidecar/maintenance-rogues-gallery

😁💣🤕

They passed the MOT two years running though 🤔

I bought the bike in rural Aberdeenshire, so suspect the MOT was done by the sellers mates 👎

You are supposed to check on a car, but as they are much bigger they'll last multiple service intervals or have chop wires embedded that bring a light on when they are close to worn out.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 2
Wedgepilot

Depends on the car, but you can generally do a visual on those as well. On my Saab, I can see the pads clearly without even taking the wheel off.

25 minutes ago, Andy m said:

You are supposed to check on a car, but as they are much bigger they'll last multiple service intervals or have chop wires embedded that bring a light on when they are close to worn out.

Andy

Good point. I wonder when brake wear warning lights will appear on bikes? A surprising omission really.

13 hours ago, Tex said:

Good point. I wonder when brake wear warning lights will appear on bikes? A surprising omission really.

It would be quite easy to rig up such a system, bit of wire and a bulb basically 

Mr Toad
53 minutes ago, Reckless said:

It would be quite easy to rig up such a system, bit of wire and a bulb basically 

Somewhere there will be a man in a shed experimenting with making his own brake pad compound, I'm sure he could be persuaded to wire them up as well.

Andy m

Chop wires are the best solution. The other way used on high end German vehicles is a sensor that works out how far the calliper stroked.

I'm surprised big touring bikes don't have them. A "brake failure" warning light which needs an OBD-II to turn off is a license to print money and won't put buyers off. An OE pad with the wire kills the independent suppliers for a while.

Andy

Guest Nc750matt

quote on my 750S DCT 16,000 mile 2nd year service is £365 from the main dealer.  that doesn't include adjusting the valves if they need to be adjusted. Looks like this is in the same ball park as others have got although I am going to pop into our independent guy in the morning to see what he thinks

trisaki

16000 service  is the valve clearance service  !   - if they arnt doing them what the  hell are they charging you over  £300 for  then - tyres /chain and sprockets  ? 

• Like 1
PoppetM
2 hours ago, Nc750matt said:

quote on my 750S DCT 16,000 mile 2nd year service is £365 from the main dealer.  that doesn't include adjusting the valves if they need to be adjusted. Looks like this is in the same ball park as others have got although I am going to pop into our independent guy in the morning to see what he thinks

Mine was the Valve clearance service on the 750S @16,000 miles. Mark is right, if they aren’t adjusting them what are they charg8ng you for? I was told that’s was all in. There was no mention of extra charges for the adjustments of the valves. My only extra charges were the brake pads and I wanted a 12v fitted. 

On 11/8/2017 at 19:52, Tex said:

Probably because they are much easier to check with the Mk1 eyeball, also cost..!

10 minutes ago, PoppetM said:

Mine was the Valve clearance service on the 750S @16,000 miles. Mark is right, if they aren’t adjusting them what are they charg8ng you for? I was told that’s was all in. There was no mention of extra charges for the adjustments of the valves. My only extra charges were the brake pads and I wanted a 12v fitted. 

I have been told by a very good Honda dealer that the valve check at 16k  probably is not necessary as in their experience they very rarely need adjusting.

As for the charge I think there is a lot of work to to access them to check.

That said I did have mine done, forgot to ask if they did in fact need adjusting...doh..

Also with regards to the OP it was all done in a day, I just took it in first thing in the morning, doesn't take that long for the bike to cool down..!

Edited by DelBoy
3 minutes ago, DelBoy said:

I have been told by a very good Honda dealer that the valve check at 16k  probably is not necessary as in their experience they very rarely need adjusting.

I think that’s a great excuse not to do the job properly. :) I seem to recall that the original service schedule on the 700cc bikes included an 8K miles valve check? Honda then increased it to 16K in the light of experience. Madness not to do it.

2 hours ago, Nc750matt said:

I would try getting quotes from other Honda dealers, they should give you a quote for the 16k service whether the valves need adjusting )unlikely) or not.

The 16k service should involve checking the valve clearances. To do the actual adjustments would not take long. the main time involved is stripping down to get to them in the first place.

Where are you Matt, ? perhaps someone on here could recommend a good dealer in your area.

My 16k was £650 but that included two new tyres fitted , which would have meant that just the service was £300 plus Vat so about £360...

Guest Nc750matt

hi guys,  thanks for the advice.  I am in Derby.  Not sure why the price didn't include adjustment but the chap did make sure I knew that, oddly enough.  He did go on to say the shims and adjustments if required would all be extra but unlikely to need adjustment.

13 hours ago, Tex said:

I think that’s a great excuse not to do the job properly. :) I seem to recall that the original service schedule on the 700cc bikes included an 8K miles valve check? Honda then increased it to 16K in the light of experience. Madness not to do it.

I did get it done though, forgot to ask if they did indeed require adjustment.

I was just a little surprised that an authorised Honda dealer (with a very good reputation) said this !

Maybe because in their experience when they do check them they are always fine ?

Edited by DelBoy
1 hour ago, Nc750matt said:

He did go on to say the shims and adjustments if required would all be extra but unlikely to need adjustment.

Are there shims?

21 minutes ago, elbee said:

Are there shims?

No. Thankfully Honda saw fit to fit screw and locknut adjustment. Easier by far than shims, but need lots more attention.