Engineer/mechanic advice requested please

Mister Paul

fred_jb
3 hours ago, Tex said:

All the really great engines operate over a wide rev range. That’s one of the basic requirements for ‘greatness’ (in my book). 

Engines that run run like a turd low down then ‘kick in’ when a magic figure on the tachometer is passed are the worst kind of hell. And their designers should go there! Do not pass ‘go’, do not collect £200.

And with modern design techniques and engine management there’s no excuse (at all) for anything but smooth, powerful and reliable engines. 

Yes I agree.  The problem with peaky engines that only really produce power at high revs is that to get to the power you have get through the poorly responding low rev area, and having done so have to play tunes on the gearbox to keep it in the powerband as road conditions change.  That may be OK for racing, but not road riding, unless you are one of those who likes to treat the road as a race track!  I much prefer an engine that provides good power over a wide range, even if peak power is lower.  If you look at a power or torque graph it is the area under the curve that really matters, not how far up a narrow peak reaches.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tex

• fred_jb

• Mister Paul

• Rocker66

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

That was my next step!  

Summary, and update:   Honda UK offered me a year's additional warranty. I said that I was concerned about the resale value of the scoot and any future issues that might appear at some time

A few early production VFR 1200 engines were found to have manufacturing swarf in them. As a result Honda replaced the engines of the entire first production run, many of them unsold machines on the s

Posted Images

Spindizzy
Just now, fred_jb said:

Yes I agree.  The problem with peaky engines that only really produce power at high revs is that to get to the power you have get through the poorly responding low rev area, and having done so have to play tunes on the gearbox to keep it in the powerband as road conditions change.  That may be OK for racing, but not road riding, unless you are one of those who likes to treat the road as a race track!  I much prefer an engine that provides good power over a wide range, even if peak power is lower.  If you look at a power or torque graph it is the area under the curve that really matters, not how far up a narrow peak reaches.

I grew up with power banded 2 strokes......nothing , nothing, burble, grumble...........................LIGHT SPEED.......change gear, change gear,change gear....too early, burble ,grumble, repeat.

Now I have an NC and CVT scoot, times have indeed changed.

• Like 2
Rev Ken

I think mechanical sympathy is more than just rev range. Being brought up with crash gearboxes, and learning to 'heel and toe', smooth changes involve 'mechanical sympathy'! I think the same applies to clutchless changes on bikes. When I had my third set of tyres fitted to my CBF1000 my mechanic expressed surprise that the cush rubbers were still intact as the majority of bikes need them renewed. I think I have mechanical sympathy, and after 40+  years in engineering, nobody is going to disillusion me!:fear:

• Like 1
On 24/11/2017 at 01:34, SteveThackery said:

it's mathematics and physics all the way to the bottom.

I thought it was turtles.

• 1 month later...
Mister Paul

Summary, and update:

Honda UK offered me a year's additional warranty. I said that I was concerned about the resale value of the scoot and any future issues that might appear at some time from running the engine for 1800 miles with no head gasket. They refused to replace the engine and said it would be fine now. I pointed out that an extra year's warranty would mean me being committed to more expensive servicing during that period. Honda UK acknowledged this and said that they'd give me one free service.

The local dealer didn't think this was sufficient and thought that Honda should give me a service package for extra peace of mind. Honda refused. They did send me a nice hamper at Christmas by way of apology.

• Like 6
DaveM59

Sounds like a fair solution.

• Like 3

although whats a hamper going to do in helping reliability, thats a strange gesture.

Mister Paul
15 hours ago, horobags said:

although whats a hamper going to do in helping reliability, thats a strange gesture.

Yeah, the woman at Honda UK mentioned it to the dealer, as if it made everything better. It was a nice gesture, but it wasn't corrective action.

8 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

Yeah, the woman at Honda UK mentioned it to the dealer, as if it made everything better. It was a nice gesture, but it wasn't corrective action.

But they already took the corrective action. The bloody bike is fixed. The hamper is a small apology for the inconvenience you suffered. Happy new year. 

• Thanks 1
Rev Ken

Seems a god idea to have a hamper, so if you break down at least while you are waiting for recovery you can have a nice picnic. Good thinking by Honda.......:angel:

• Haha 1

The hamper will be well past it’s sell by date before he breaks down.. :D 

• Thanks 1
Slowboy
10 hours ago, Mister Paul said:

Mister Paul. It looks to me like they completely fixed your bike, it'll be fine and it'll be worth the same as all the rest when you trade it. Nice gesture by the dealer, nice gesture by Honda giving you an extra years warranty and a free service. You did well. Enjoy your bike. You've been treated pretty well from what I see of it. Time to move on.

• Like 4