Mister Paul

Engineer/mechanic advice requested please

Tonyj

As Brian Conley would say "it's only a scooter"  (puppet) . Who cares :0) not me or rocker for a start . Should have bought a proper bike . :0) that's why the first two letters say it all really.

trev I still want a corvette  c3 I think it's model number was . If I had a garage I would have one . Totally crass ,underpowered all plastic but   Shaped like a shark and pointy with big old arches . When I was a kid I thought why would you buy a hillman hunter when this exists :0)

I like them to be fair, a friend is considering selling his Range Rover but his misses is staying firm so he is waiting . He's done the configuration thing already. Me I keep driving past the Datsun shop , got my beady eye on a gt-r

Tex

I want a GTR too. But at £82K I suspect I will go on wanting one.. :D 

• Like 1

Mister Paul

I'm not riding it. It's in the shed, as I have use of our car until Christmas. The shine has gone off the bike, and if I decide to take it up with Honda when I'm back in the UK then I don't want them asking why I'm still riding it if I'm so bothered. 

• Sigh 1

Tex

Dude, the time to ‘take it up’ with Honda was when it failed. Complaining of loss of ‘shine’ weeks after the event? Seriously? 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Graham NZ
5 hours ago, Tex said:

Dude, the time to ‘take it up’ with Honda was when it failed. Complaining of loss of ‘shine’ weeks after the event? Seriously? 

Must agree with Tex on this one.  Not to complain at the appropriate time and try to do it later is prevented by the legal principle of 'estoppel'.

Mister Paul
7 hours ago, Tex said:

I took it up with Honda straight away. I got a response from them a few days ago (it's taken a few calls and a wait for them to reply with an email) and I've been in Romania for the last few days. They get the reply they asked for when I'm home on Monday. 

DMB
1 hour ago, Graham NZ said:

Must agree with Tex on this one.  Not to complain at the appropriate time and try to do it later is prevented by the legal principle of 'estoppel'.

I respectfully disagree.  Tex and you may be right from a legal point of view, but not from a public relations view.  I would argue that Mister Paul was originally 'persuaded' by Honda and the dealer that there wasn't a problem.  However, perhaps there was a degree of coercion.  Only after one takes a few steps backwards, and gets the views of other people (via this forum, for example), does one realise that perhaps one has been bullied into accepting a poor deal.

I note some people here with a lot more knowledge of engineering than I have think that the engine might have suffered damage.  So, there is some doubt.  More importantly, how about loss of value?  If Mister Paul is asked, should he decide to sell the bike, if he's had any problems what is he going to say?  "Oh, a minor problem, early on.  Honda forgot to fit the head gasket at the factory.  I ran the bike for 1,800 miles before Honda dismantled the engine and installed a head gasket.  Yes, the brand new engine was being lubricated by a contaminated mix of oil and water for that entire period."  I know what I would do if I was a punter: I'd walk.

This is a PR disaster in the making.  Honda need to supply a new engine immediately.

Edited by DMB
  • Confused 1

Andy m

Changing/fitting a head gasket is a once a year event. The dealers chief tech might have done it five times. Changing an engine is a ten year event and involves electrical connectors as noted above which mechanics are notably bad at.

No disrespect to Mr. Paul but his claim is fly **** to Honda. Look at how long BMW sales have been climbing against a steady howl about drive shaft spline failures, broken forks, immobiliser ring antennas etc. People buy a bike based on fantasies about sharing a tent with Charlie Bormann or getting their leg over the girl holding Rossis umbrella. Ural sales are up!

If it worries you, you trade it back to the dealer. Let them lie to the next bloke. Chances are he'll never know so won't worry.

Andy

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Graham NZ

A lot of good sense being shown in these posts.

My summary is this:  Paul should be given a new bike; a new engine would be the minimum compensation; Honda has estoppel on it's side but for good PR it should not pursue that and should provide either a new bike, or as a minimum a new engine with a new-bike warranty on it.

Go for broke, Paul.

commuter

Honda quality assurance is an industry benchmark. That said, Honda have factories all over the world. Does anyone know where NC engines are built? For example, Swindon, Huston,Yekateringberg ( Siberia) the missing head gasket could be explained away by an alcohol fueled lunch break.

It is perhaps testament to the manufacturing tolerances of the machine build that the bike went so long " fault undetected".  Engine oil contamination of any sort isn't good. I would be primarily concerned with the crankshaft bearings taking a hit. New engine seems a fair claim.

Tex

NC engine is built in Japan. The SH300? Not sure. 

Mister Paul
17 minutes ago, Tex said:

NC engine is built in Japan. The SH300? Not sure. 

The bikes are built in Italy, so there's a chance the engine was as well.