Coval

Suspension suspense . . . part 2

Coval

Hi, my name is Art and I am a farkleholic. 

I just couldn't let things rest, went and sold my left kidney to pay for a pair of Andreani fork cartridges.

Bought them from a San Marino company called Sestamarcia, they sell through fleabay as well as their own website, accept cards or PayPal.

Part number: 105/H05  CARTUCCIA IDRAULICA FORCELLA ANDREANI HONDA NC 700 - 750 X 2012 - 14  Andreani recommend Ohlins fork oil so I bought it too.

Fork oil: 01309-01  1 LITRO OLIO FORCELLA R & T OHLINS 19 CST 40° 

To match the correct spring rate one needs to specify the type of riding: track, street or off road as well as riders weight. 

Delivery takes 3 days via DHL. They sent me 9.5kg springs (90-100kg weight bracket) but I found them too stiff. Asked to have them swapped to 8.3kg for the cost of postage. Had to pay them €130 deposit, which got promptly refunded on receipt of the springs I sent back.

The entire purchase/swap procedure was painless and efficient.

fred_jb's informative post as well as the instructions provided with the kit helped with the fitting. There is no need for a spring compressor.

The cartridges are adjustable for preload (both), compression (left leg) and rebound (right leg).

Now, a month on, I am very happy with the results, this is the best set up so far. The front is really smooth and compliant now. Trouble is, I have forgotten what original suspension feels like so can't compare. I wish fast damping was a little better, but this is purely personal opinion, based on a far from like-for-like comparison with my Pan. 

So, if anyone is considering improvements to their front, this is a costly but proven method compared to emulator valves. I can also recommend the supplier, who have set up a discount code for anyone who would like to purchase the kit from them. See below and shout if you require any help.

Hello Artur,

if you want mention our Sestamarcia name on the forums is fine no problem we are very happy.

For the price we make 500€ cartridge + shipping included to UK or 527€ cartridge shipping included to UK with oil Öhlins 01309-01.

I will issue you this discount code that will have to be included in the cart for these prices -> D61WS9RF

Cordiali Saluti
Best Regards
Thomas

Sestamarcia s.r.l.

Via V Febbraio n.142                           

CAP: 47895 Domagnano

Rep. San Marino

Tel : 0549-901571

Mail : vendite@sestamarcia.com

Web : www.sestamarcia.com

• Like 3
  • Sigh 1
  • Thanks 1

bat-kam

So modifying the oroginals gives worse results? I think I am happy with mine. We need to meet up and swap bikes for comparison 

Trumpet

Maxton work out cheaper for the same result, (380 + VAT) plus you support a British Company !

Edited by Trumpet
  • Like 3

Coval
15 hours ago, Trumpet said:

Maxton work out cheaper for the same result, (380 + VAT) plus you support a British Company !

The cheapest version with rebound adjustment only (as opposed to preload, compression and rebound on Andreani) worked out at £480 with VAT plus oil and postage. I SERIOUSLY considered Maxton but the extra adjustability for not much more, made my mind up.

Edited by Coval
  • Like 1

Trumpet

Maxton reshimmed my ST1050 front forks. It has no adjustment other than preload, but because it was set up for my wieght and preferences, I've never felt the need to adjust it since, apart from the preload. I appreciate you wanting the extra adjustments to play with. But if you are not careful you will get obessed with suspension tweaks and never leave it alone :ermm:

• Like 2

Coval
16 hours ago, Trumpet said:

But if you are not careful you will get obessed with suspension tweaks and never leave it alone :ermm:

Too late for that :BangHead:

Coval
On 10/11/2017 at 17:59, bat-kam said:

So modifying the oroginals gives worse results? I think I am happy with mine. We need to meet up and swap bikes for comparison 

Kam, I would love an opportunity to test ride a bike with an original or modified setup, if you are in the area, give me a shout. I wasn't quite happy with linear spring/emulator valve setup, kept tweaking it for months until I got it almost right. However, having replaced the stanchions due to a rusty patch on one, the setting couldn't be replicated.

• Like 1

Graham NZ
On 11/11/2017 at 06:59, bat-kam said:

Gosh!  Anyone who's happy with the original suspension is very easily satisfied.

• Sigh 1

Tonyj

you defiantly know how to make a statement Mr nz . It might be someone's first bike or they may not have the time or inclination to ponce about fixing something that's not broke . But good on you and others  for sharing . 

Take the performance of this bike , it's remit and delivery ( brakes and engine ) . All within a scope that's acceptable at a price range and concept. That's not to say you can't better it but , some just might think " I don't need to "  your statement made me think of it as a pizza . You ordered the margherita , but with a bit of chorizo and pineapple you could have something else . 😀 The cost goes up and the result is subjective. . A bit clumsy I know but it sort of works 😀

I for one am not bothered by the limits of the suspension and therefor not that bothered to fiddle with it . So mine is more apathy then satisfaction 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Sad 1

Tex

Very well said, Tony. Bang on the button. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

slowboy
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

Gosh!  Anyone who's happy with the original suspension is very easily satisfied.

Well I was very happy with my 700x, and it remains one of the better suspension compromises of any bike I've owned and I never felt the need to alter it. And yes, I can feel differences, having set up the suspension on my Ducati 998 for myself for road and track use (different for each). The Honda was a good compromise for the road, firm enough for "making progress" while comfortable enough for gentle cruising. Not perfect for either, but good enough. The best comfort mod was a better seat (Sargent in my case). 

I appreciate others would need to change it and that's fine and they've contributed some excellent advice and information on here, but I wouldn't look down on those that are happy with their lot. Horses for courses and all that.

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Graham NZ

The only reason I bought my SD was because I needed a bike with automatic transmission, otherwise it's a bike I'd not have looked at twice.  It was a relief when it arrived (with just 4,500km on it so not worn out) that it wasn't a bad bike in most ways except for the suspension which I knew I couldn't live with and now I'm so pleased that I didn't.

From various threads and posts here I know I'm not alone in finding the suspension un-impressive.  Gosh, some have gone to greater levels to improve it than I have by fitting fork cartridge conversions.

For riding on smooth surfaces the stock suspension would be OK but apart from motorways that doesn't occur here.  Are most British roads smoothly surfaced?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

embee
15 minutes ago, Graham NZ said:

.......  Are most British roads smoothly surfaced?

Sorry, I just spat my tea over the keyboard .......................... :doh:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 3

Tex

The NC range is obviously targeted at new riders, cheap, simple, unthreatening, frugal (people like that :D ) and easy to use. It was only raised out of the A2 license bracket because Honda felt the CB500 range would loose out.

Despite that (or, maybe, because of it) it makes a good bike for much more accomplished riders too and is, deservedly, popular with riders of all levels. 

Can it be improved? Yes. Obviously. But not every rider will feel the need. I certainly didn’t. My NC rode exactly how I expected it to and I was neither disappointed or impressed. Unlike the current Triumph which I felt had the potential to be a great handling bike but was being held back by crappy rear dampers.

slowboy
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

...........l Are most British roads smoothly surfaced?

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂☺️😂🤣

No, even out motorways have b****y great potholes on them here and there. 

At least my CRF250 feels right at home on our roads

Edited by slowboy

slowboy
5 hours ago, embee said:

Sorry, I just spat my tea over the keyboard .......................... :doh:

+1

Spindizzy
2 minutes ago, slowboy said:

😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂☺️😂🤣

I have found a reasonable representation of our fine British Roads...enjoy

• Haha 2

Andy m

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42826912

The picture is pretty typical.

No problems with basic suspension here. Maybe a history of MZ's ridden across Europe, Bavarian badged Aprillias across North Africa etc. trains your bum and modifies your expectations? I was given a go on a Bonneville that'd had a grands worth of shocks and springs fitted. Couldn't tell the difference and was glad I'd have spent the cash on petrol and hotels. The owner was pretty upset. Don't see why, if he was happier, go for it.

Andy

• Like 1

Graham NZ

Blessed are those whom are satisfied. I'd rather be with with the others who did feel the need to improve things, but I do admit that my decrepit, arthritic spine does make me more sensitive than many to being thumped up the bum while riding.

Spindizzy
7 minutes ago, Graham NZ said:

Blessed are those whom are satisfied. I'd rather be with with the others who did feel the need to improve things, but I do admit that my decrepit, arthritic spine does make me more sensitive than many to being thumped up the bum while riding.

There are those that love to get the best possible result out of their steed and you know, fair play to them and the satisfaction it brings. I fall in to the other camp that admire the effort but are happy to compromise with 'good enough'.

Give it time I might be contacting Trisaki for one of those YSS shocks, you never know. The S I played on today seemed less harsh over the bumps then the X was and the front doesn't dive as much under braking. Maybe Honda made a few changes since my 2015 model.

Graham NZ

In my case the suspension was re-worked not to get satisfaction but to avoid pain.  The ride quality was improved hugely so the mods worked and were worth the $NZ2,500 to me.

Would I have done it if I was younger, with a fit body and a lean bank account?  Maybe not.  But wait, even as a 20 year old in 1960 I understood what laden sag was about and frequently changed springs in search of appropriate settings.  In those days suspension units weren't often re-buildable so damping was the luck of the draw apart from altering fork oil viscosity and volume.