Where to buy Gaskets?

Grumpy old man

Grumpy old man

Hi All

As above can anyone recommend a website/company that supply head gaskets or preferably a shop in the North East. 

Thanks

Lloyd 

Contact your nearest Authorised Honda dealer !!!

I would definitely fit an OEM Honda gasket, I have used pattern ones in the past and had problems.

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-71520-71520-NC750XAE-2014-E_02-NC+750+X+ABS.html

Regarding your coolant problem, the first thing I thought was Radiator cap.

I had a similar problem with my Sister's Honda Civic and a new cap sorted it.

My second thought (2 thoughts in one day, I must have a lay down) is Thermostat.

You can check Thermostat buy putting it into a pan of cold water, heat the water and check that it opens when water gets hot (Thermometer would be handy to check what temp it opens at).

Just don't use one of your missus best pans :lol:

Stick with Honda OE gaskets. Be wary of sellers who claim ‘these gaskets are made by the same people who make them for Honda’. Such claims are, occasionally, true. They’re also, frequently, a load of cobblers. Of course you may enjoy stripping your bike down and chasing faults (“It can’t be the head gasket, I just changed that..”). In which case go cheap! :D 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Andy m

Wemoto if Honda are being silly. They are a brand in their own right, tend to support and not sell real rubbish.

What's wrong with cereal box and bathroom sealant? Draw round your old one, cut out, blather in white goo, leave to dry, voila, your Britbike is back to dribbling rather than Exxon Valdez mode.

Andy

• Sigh 1
  • Haha 1
Grumpy old man

Thanks all, Honda parts ordered from my local shop.

Thanks again

Lloyd 

Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, DelBoy said:

Hope that the rebuild goes well and you get the problem sorted :goodluck:.

Let us know. 

I do like your new avatar 😊

Rev Ken
6 hours ago, Andy m said:

Wemoto if Honda are being silly. They are a brand in their own right, tend to support and not sell real rubbish.

What's wrong with cereal box and bathroom sealant? Draw round your old one, cut out, blather in white goo, leave to dry, voila, your Britbike is back to dribbling rather than Exxon Valdez mode.

Andy

I used to place a thin piece of cardboard (Chose your own cereal packet) and lightly tap with a ball peen hammer. This was more accurate than drawing, and helped get a clean edge, especially for oil and water! I was meaner and used the minimum of 'goo', of any colour, to avoid squeezing it into oilways. (I learnt the hard way....) Still thinking about it perhaps an OEM gasket is better, but not as much fun.

• Thanks 1
Urhavinalaf
11 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

I used to place a thin piece of cardboard (Chose your own cereal packet) and lightly tap with a ball peen hammer. This was more accurate than drawing, and helped get a clean edge, especially for oil and water! I was meaner and used the minimum of 'goo', of any colour, to avoid squeezing it into oilways. (I learnt the hard way....) Still thinking about it perhaps an OEM gasket is better, but not as much fun.

Ha ha, I was shown the same way many years ago! :D

I have, many moons ago when pennies were tight, annealed and reused the head gasket, by heating it in the oven and left to slowly cool.

Far best to fit a new OEM one though

Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, DelBoy said:

I have, many moons ago when pennies were tight, annealed and reused the head gasket, by heating it in the oven and left to slowly cool.

Could I put it in with the casserole, pennies are tight. 

46 minutes ago, Grumpy old man said:

Could I put it in with the casserole, pennies are tight. 

Only if it’s solid copper. Modern composite ones react badly to cooking.. 

• Sigh 1
Rev Ken
5 hours ago, DelBoy said:

After heating I remember plunging it into cold water to anneal it!

13 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

After heating I remember plunging it into cold water to anneal it!

How you cool it depends on the metal, but copper/brass/silver can be allowed to cool slowly or quenched, steel has to be allowed to cool slowly to complete the annealing. You then heat treat the steel to achieve the desired hardness/toughness state. Aluminium alloys have their own processes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_(metallurgy)

Rev Ken
3 hours ago, embee said:

How you cool it depends on the metal, but copper/brass/silver can be allowed to cool slowly or quenched, steel has to be allowed to cool slowly to complete the annealing. You then heat treat the steel to achieve the desired hardness/toughness state. Aluminium alloys have their own processes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annealing_(metallurgy)

I well remember tempering steel for different purposes, watching the colour change until it was just right to quench. My first 'lesson' was manufacturing a single leaf spring as a test piece. There were about 10 of us doing it and the test was easy.... the blacksmith who was teaching us just jumped on them. Those which broke or flattened failed. I'm glad to say he bounced up on mine.:angel:

• Haha 1