Jump to content
chrisl01

Oxford Heated Grips

Recommended Posts

chrisl01

Just fitted a set of Oxford heated grips on my 2016 750x, (P/No.OF692)

these are great quality and the Auto Off feature is great and works really well. word of warning however the throttle side is a bit of a pain as you will need to sand off the raised lugs that hold the original grip in place, to do this you will need to remove the throttle tube from the bike. I found the wire in the throttle side a bit short as well and made an extension using the same style connectors as I wanted all the connecters etc. hidden behind the plastics. to be honest it took most of the day to complete.

the heat setting 100% is very hot and you need your gloves on to hold the grips at this setting. for £48 great value for money.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Hacknslash

Hi Chris

 

I'm thinking of putting heated grips on my bike, either Oxford or Honda grips. I'm currently researching and deciding which option.

 

Ian

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Brigante7

I didn’t remove the throttle body to sand it down before I fitted the heated grips, I just used an angle grinder (very carefully). 

 

 

 

Brigante7.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Graham

I just put the heated grips on mine this weekend.

I have the cheap set from Oxford that has only one setting – full power.

As long as I remember to shut them off when I'm off, they do the trick!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
shiggsy

You will forget to turn them off, guaranteed.  Best to wire in a relay so they shut off when the bike shuts off, less hassle than being left stranded with a flat battery.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
outrunner
6 hours ago, chrisl01 said:

 I found the wire in the throttle side a bit short as well and made an extension

 

 

That is the same type I fitted to my 750X and I thought the wires were actually a bit on the long side.

 

Andy.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Iron horse

I fitted a set of Oxford grips last year. Fitted straight to the battery as all the wiring/plugs can be hidden in the battery compartment. I was worried about the battery dying but they have a battery saver feature which automatically cuts them off when the voltage drops. This happens quite quickly after turning off the ignition. Definitely recommend them at only £50. I spent a while shaving the ridges on the throttle sleeve with a Stanley knife before fitting the right hand grip. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cazmal

Mine came with the Oxford grips with auto shut-off. I didn't trust they would do what it says on the tin so I rewired them through my Fuzeblock so they definitely go off with the ignition.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
bonekicker

Always make sure all the plastic ridges are off before trying to fit heated hand grip throttle side-- once you have put glue on--it's a real pain finding half way down it gets too tight--taking off/cleaning up glue will be annoying to say the least :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
DelBoy
10 hours ago, cazmal said:

Mine came with the Oxford grips with auto shut-off. I didn't trust they would do what it says on the tin so I rewired them through my Fuzeblock so they definitely go off with the ignition.

I have those too now, dead simple to wire up and work well  :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Graham
23 hours ago, shiggsy said:

You will forget to turn them off, guaranteed.  Best to wire in a relay so they shut off when the bike shuts off, less hassle than being left stranded with a flat battery.

Guarantee was fulfilled last year. Good idea as I have left them on once already. Just didn't need a push to get home like last year! 

Share this post


Link to post
rjp996

Just for info as it may help others, esp at this time of year.... - I fitted some very nice heated grips that did not come with glue - i tried may types of glue and came up with a very successfully result using 'no nonsence superglue' from screwfix at £1.79 - cheapest glue I ended it trying. It is a Cyanoacrylate glue that although is not super high temp, is higher that most of the standard shop accessible ones and has not failed me. Super High temp cyanoacrylate is not so easily avail and can be very very expensive - this stuff has a high enough temp to cope :-)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
bornagain

My tips:

  • 2014 NC750 X - Oxford Touring Grips OF691 - No trimming required.
  • Wired via the fuzeblock. As per Fred's excellent post: 
  • The throttle grip ridges were removed in situ, with the Aldi "dremel" type tool and some rough sandpaper to finish.
  • I really didn't fancy the superglue route and had some Puraflex 40 handy. (In black from toolstation) This stuff really is the dogs doodars, but do wear gloves!
    This adhesive allows some fine adjustment and remains flexible. I was concerned the superglue would go off too fast and be prone to be brittle in temperature extremes.
  • Leave overnight and bobs your mothers brother.

Regards,

Neil.

Share this post


Link to post
Brigante7

I fitted Oxford heated grips in March, using the glue provided, and so have never needed to use them above 40% (2nd setting), I was out last Friday (10th) and it was a fresh 40F (5C to all those who work in new money) and so I had them on at 100% just to warm them up quickly and the glue on the left hand grip started to soften up, so much so that I could have taken the grip off very easily. The next morning the grip was tighter than a camel's arse in a sandstorm until I again turned the grips up to 100% and the same problem, so my question is, can anybody recommend a better glue that will not soften up at a higher temp?

 

 

 

Brigante7.

Share this post


Link to post
SteveThackery

Is it just me?  I find heated grips almost useless.  When my hands get cold it's always the fingertips that are the worst.  However, the heated grips heat the palms of my hand, not the fingertips, which doesn't really seem to help.

 

Yes, I've heard the theory that heating the palms warms up the blood on its way to the fingertips, but it doesn't seem to make much difference as far as I can tell.

 

I've tried holding the grips harder, so my fingertips are held firmly against the grips, and it does help a bit.  However, my hands soon get tired like this, and more often than not I forget to keep them held tight.

 

So, is it just me?

Share this post


Link to post
rjp996
16 minutes ago, Brigante7 said:

I fitted Oxford heated grips in March, using the glue provided, and so have never needed to use them above 40% (2nd setting), I was out last Friday (10th) and it was a fresh 40F (5C to all those who work in new money) and so I had them on at 100% just to warm them up quickly and the glue on the left hand grip started to soften up, so much so that I could have taken the grip off very easily. The next morning the grip was tighter than a camel's arse in a sandstorm until I again turned the grips up to 100% and the same problem, so my question is, can anybody recommend a better glue that will not soften up at a higher temp?

 

 

 

Brigante7.

The screwfix 'no nonsense superglue' works very well and I've found not to loosen at high temp. This is the second year they have been on. 

I would say that you need to put them on without to much fiddling, as it's sets quickly

Share this post


Link to post
Brigante7
12 hours ago, rjp996 said:

The screwfix 'no nonsense superglue' works very well and I've found not to loosen at high temp. This is the second year they have been on. 

I would say that you need to put them on without to much fiddling, as it's sets quickly

Thank you for the information, said glue will be purchased today.

 

 

 

Brigante7.

Share this post


Link to post
Rick

Steve, I do not think gripping the grips harder is the best answer as you may reduce the blood flow to your fingers. I have found a pair of hand guards helps or if you can stand them some muffs. I have used Oxford grips for many years and very rarely use anything other than summer unlined leather gloves, perhaps the fact that my gloves are thin allows the heat from the grips to do their job and the hand guards keep the wind off. I ride all year and only wimp out if I can't stand up on my drive, (no not drunk, ICE.)

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×