Coval

Happiness is . . .

Coval

. . .  slipping your gloved hand into a warm muff

3.jpg.c2399405bc7bcccee8c3c6108333834f.jpg1.jpg.80795e324e7d3e335ca81f5726d85169.jpg2.jpg.28296cba56c68b51694928ae8a0a0348.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

outrunner

I take no Zebras were harmed during the making of those muffs?  ;)

Andy.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Dunnster

Mine arrived in the post today, but I need a couple of longer screws  (fnarr fnarr ooooh er missus) before I can fit them. 

• Like 1
  • Sigh 2
  • Haha 1

Coval
1 hour ago, outrunner said:

I take no Zebras were harmed during the making of those muffs?  ;)

Absolutely not, I picked this pattern over plain black for extra visibility

1 hour ago, Dunnster said:

Mine arrived in the post today, but I need a couple of longer screws  (fnarr fnarr ooooh er missus) before I can fit them. 

I would rather keep my hands warm than wait for longer screw. Mine are fixed to the grips by zip tied half-moon discs (on the inside) and push-fit onto bar ends (on the outside) 

Need to loosen the right one as it touches throttle grip and slows its return.

So far the only two issues are the ease and speed of operating gear + and - buttons and flicking the mirrors up and down in a hurry.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Exceledsteve

I love muffs. Must fit mine to the X-ADV this week. The standard hand guards won't be enough when the real cold starts. For anyone who hasn't tried them they'll make a massive difference to your ride when it's freezing. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

PoppetM

Ooh I like the pattern!!!  Not so keen on the zip tie ones, they were an utter pain to put on the Vespa. :( 

Mine just velcro at the thumbs and you take the screw out the Bar End, and through the end of the muff, so they don't foul levers etc. Takes about 10 minutes to fit. 

Just a tip I got off someone on here, do not let go of the bar end weight when you take out the screw!!!! 

• Like 1

Dunnster
10 hours ago, Coval said:

Absolutely not, I picked this pattern over plain black for extra visibility

I would rather keep my hands warm than wait for longer screw. Mine are fixed to the grips by zip tied half-moon discs (on the inside) and push-fit onto bar ends (on the outside) 

Need to loosen the right one as it touches throttle grip and slows its return.

So far the only two issues are the ease and speed of operating gear + and - buttons and flicking the mirrors up and down in a hurry.

Mine are the nc specific ones R365 have Velcro to fasten round the handlebar near the switch gear and then the bar end screw goes through the rubber section at the other end. 

Ordered some screws, arriving tomorrow 

:)

Edited by Dunnster

PoppetM
1 hour ago, Dunnster said:

Mine are the nc specific ones R365 have Velcro to fasten round the handlebar near the switch gear and then the bar end screw goes through the rubber section at the other end. 

Ordered some screws, arriving tomorrow 

:)

They are the ones I have, that helpful show you where your switches are - absolutely brilliant. I had to pull over this morning to turn my gloves off :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

DelBoy

I had some muffs fitted many years ago and worked well until the local kids stuffed them with snow, the little rascals..

• Sigh 1
  • Haha 4

Dunnster
6 hours ago, PoppetM said:

They are the ones I have, that helpful show you where your switches are - absolutely brilliant. I had to pull over this morning to turn my gloves off :) 

Yeah got a printed diagram in white on each corresponding side, noticed that. Turning the grips off is a promising sign they will do the job. :thumbsup:

6 hours ago, DelBoy said:

I had some muffs fitted many years ago and worked well until the local kids stuffed them with snow, the little rascals..

Don't know whether to laugh or cry at that?:dielaugh::blush::cry:

Edited by Dunnster
  • Haha 1

Coval
9 hours ago, DelBoy said:

Heated grips would have sorted the problem out...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

DelBoy
16 minutes ago, Coval said:

Heated grips would have sorted the problem out...

Didn't have such luxuries in those days...

If you wanted to warm your hands you used the engine..

• Like 4

Mr Toad

Someone on the Triumph forum started a thread about what people thought was the best advance in motorcycle technology of recent years.

My answer was modern fabrics and Gore-Tex. Having started riding in the 70s cold wet hands and feet made life miserable for most people. Modern gear makes that a thing of the past.

• Like 3

gonzo

If it gets that cold im taking the car ! ( i know i said i was tough but !!):ermm:

• Haha 2

PoppetM
23 hours ago, DelBoy said:

Didn't have such luxuries in those days...

I have done that before now. Get funny looks at the lights when I put my head on the not-a-fuel tank and put both hands on the warm bits 🙂

• Haha 3

Rev Ken

I stuff my gloves on a cold day on my engine when I stop for a break. 

I too think to-day's kit offers so much more warmth and some even manage to keep water out. My kit in the early 60s kept water out as it was PVC.... but no lining at all. As I was commuting every weekend to 'court' my future wife from near Swindon to Dundee, over winter, (it got too expensive so I had to marry her) My insulation was mainly newspapers stuffed down my jacket and trousers, with as many shirts, vests, trousers etc as would fit under. I had thick gloves with over-mitts and even a home made fluorescent waterproof plastic over-mitt for my over-mitts. Naturally a white silk scarf and Mk2 (I think) flying goggles was all I could wear with my open faced helmet which meant defrosting my face on arrival.... Ah those were the days.... which I am glad are past!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

KingJames
19 hours ago, PoppetM said:

I have done that before now. Get funny looks at the lights when I put my head on the not-a-fuel tank and put both hands on the warm bits 🙂

I was doing that at traffic lights during the summer heatwave, for when the shade wasn't quite high enough so I had to duck into it.  I struggle to find the heat from the engine on cold mornings, how low do you have to go on a 750X?

PoppetM
52 minutes ago, KingJames said:

I was doing that at traffic lights during the summer heatwave, for when the shade wasn't quite high enough so I had to duck into it.  I struggle to find the heat from the engine on cold mornings, how low do you have to go on a 750X?

Haha this is where I am glad I am on the S... just below the knees :) 

Mikdent
On 13/11/2017 at 19:56, Coval said:

That reminds me of a great joke........but I can't post it on here, Taliban Ted wouldn't be happy. :angry:

Someone remind me at the next meet and ill tell you it. :niceone:

DelBoy

On 11/13/2017 at 19:56, Coval said:

Last time I did that it cost me a house.... :shocked:  !

• Haha 2

MrP_Lon

Hey, II saw your bike parked next to my NC by Clifton street in the city and I immediately felt cold and jealous :D

• Haha 1

embee
On ‎14‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 20:41, DelBoy said:

That's why the BMW airheads were made the way they were, the rocker covers were there just so you could put your hands on them at traffic lights. ;)

• Like 1

Rocker66
28 minutes ago, embee said:

That's why the BMW airheads were made the way they were, the rocker covers were there just so you could put your hands on them at traffic lights. ;)

And catch your 70s flares on the carbs😄😄

• Haha 1

Coval
7 hours ago, MrP_Lon said:

Hey, II saw your bike parked next to my NC by Clifton street in the city 

Hello neighbour! which one is yours? There are 3 or 4 parking there now.

7 hours ago, MrP_Lon said:

I immediately felt cold and jealous :D

Well, you know what you need to do...

You don't need expensive Tucanos, I saw some cheap and cheerful £7 ones on fleabay, which would do the trick with just an added hole for the bar end bolt.

MrP_Lon

Mine's the grey 64 plate one with the substantial crash bars, fog lamps and acerbis handguards.

Have the Honda heated grips and so far and I haven't really felt the need for extra warmth :)