Iron horse

Mods and Insurance

Iron horse

I've just renewed my insurance and had to include my heated grips as a modification. 

What does everyone else do when adding bits to their bikes? Is everyone keeping their insurance companies up to date?

Planning on fitting a Denali soundbomb mini, so should I let them know about that too?

Rev Ken

It's worth telling them of all mods. Apart from Bennets who have in the past only allowed 3 mods, including a manufacturers alternative colour! However they have been taken over so it might have changed. Most reputable insurers will not charge more unless mods are performance related. If you tell them they can't wriggle out of their responsibilities if you have a claim. 

• Like 1

Andy m

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. It's better when you tell them and they say they don't care. If they have a list to pick from I tell them, if they don't I don't . I tend to remove more than I fit (pillion pegs etc.) so hopefully not a huge risk. If RE didn't intend the standard bike to be used without the pillion pad they'd have made it harder to take off with the tools they provided.

I once told Carole Nash about a mod, IIRC it was engine bars or maybe a luggage rack cum heat shield. I made the mistake of telling the call centre who didn't understand that it was there to protect the paint. I then got a requote massively higher for the "mural" ??!!? 

Ring them and ask if the premium will change IF you fit whatever. If they give you a clear, sensible answer tell them you are going to do it. If they don't get it decide on a case by case. If you claim and they are going to welch on the bet they'll do it anyway, you are just deciding what will give you the better chance. 

If I'd have crashed the day that re-quote came through I'd have taken a permanent marker to the tank and claimed for the unique muriel showing a sewer ant getting its arse kicked!

The horn is a replacement part. Yours dropped off didn't it? Normal maintenance, nothing to see here, move along.

Andy 

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1

rjp996

As Andy said, being relatively new to bikes, I was almost caught out by the 'default' on most policy's that Pillion Passengers are not included - I can guess that a good many people are riding around unaware they are not insured to carry a pillion....

As for mods, I declared my changed rear shock - about 45% of policies then declined to quote, the one I am with noted it, but did not increase the policy over standard as the shock was under £1,000.

embee

You need to make sure what you tell them is truthful. I reported that my rear suspension unit began to fail (true, it began when the bike was wheeled out of the factory), and I fitted a cheaper aftermarket item made for the model (true, I bought is secondhand and made it suitable for the model). I told them I fitted altered footrests on the Integra to ease my knee condition (true, the first version I made was in the wrong place so altered them to make it more comfortable). They were happy with both mods.

I have different handlebars on my SV for comfort, they're happy with that, and there's only a nominal charge for the alternative exhaust on the SV (£10 or something). Other mods are considered as "cosmetic" and no effect on premiums (screens, fender extenders etc.).

It's a question of whether items are clearly alterations away from OE spec, aftermarket exhausts being probably the most obvious.

Strangely they are not interested in what tyres or brake pads you have fitted, but what have they got to do with risk?

Edited by embee
  • Like 1

Rocker66

The two biggest alterations to my NC the Akrapovic can and the fact that it is lowered made no difference to the premium I had been quoted.

electric_monk
18 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

The two biggest alterations to my NC the Akrapovic can and the fact that it is lowered made no difference to the premium I had been quoted.

Does it matter if the bike is lowered because you've ate too many pies?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

bonekicker

Stephen are you also carrying pies on your bike--are you selling these pies or just eating them? if selling it may be classed as commercial insurance that you need.:poke:

Always tell them all the mods you have fitted and also the ones you will be fitting--saves ringing up again and extra costs. :thumbsup:

Mike5100
On 11/14/2017 at 15:50, embee said:

You need to make sure what you tell them is truthful. I reported that my rear suspension unit began to fail (true, it began when the bike was wheeled out of the factory), and I fitted a cheaper aftermarket item made for the model (true, I bought is secondhand and made it suitable for the model). I told them I fitted altered footrests on the Integra to ease my knee condition (true, the first version I made was in the wrong place so altered them to make it more comfortable). They were happy with both mods.

I have different handlebars on my SV for comfort, they're happy with that, and there's only a nominal charge for the alternative exhaust on the SV (£10 or something). Other mods are considered as "cosmetic" and no effect on premiums (screens, fender extenders etc.).

It's a question of whether items are clearly alterations away from OE spec, aftermarket exhausts being probably the most obvious.

Strangely they are not interested in what tyres or brake pads you have fitted, but what have they got to do with risk?

Yes - I found if I explained that the mods I was making were for 'comfort' rather than performance they were always accepted without any increase in premium.

I will never deal with a company that will not communicate by emails.  All my mods are confirmed to them by email.  I have discovered on two or three occasions that I wasn't covered for verbally declared mods.  I suspect that the call centre chappie just didn't enter them on his screen because he knew it would up the quote and he would lose the sale.  I have also had renewal documents  that have 'lost' the previously declared mods - when I have then forwarded them the emails they have re-instated them at no cost.  This has often occurred when the broker has decided to switch insurer, and I think they count on the punter not checking the new documents as he thinks he is just continuing the old one.

Mike

electric_monk
20 hours ago, bonekicker said:

Stephen are you also carrying pies on your bike--are you selling these pies or just eating them? if selling it may be classed as commercial insurance that you need.:poke:

Always tell them all the mods you have fitted and also the ones you will be fitting--saves ringing up again and extra costs. :thumbsup:

Pies are for eating, strictly NOT for resale. So don't need commercial insurance. 

The bit of heat generated in the storage hole (don't like the word Frunk) does a good job at keeping the pies warm and if I leave the hole unlocked I can eat them without having to stop.:D

• Like 1