Heated grips failure

bob b

My Honda original equipment heated grips fail to operate, but the small red indicator light operates as completely as usual. My downloaded workshop manual does not have a wiring diagram, so I am working blind....as it were. I've checked every fuse in the fuse box and taken every connector apart that I've found under the left hand panel and sprayed them with switch cleaner. Still no joy.

I'm assuming that there must be a relay somewhere that's 'dicky'. Although I don't know where that's located. If someone could identify the location of the relay, I can clean the connections on that and can carry out an electrical test if necessary.

Any pointers would be much appreciated.

Edited by bob b
Additional text

if its the Honda standard using the aux wiring loom - the relay is on the fuse box left hand side 1/3rd way down - has a fuse directly above it laying flat

Many thanks for that information Richard. I'll check it out over the weekend and post my findings.

Well, spent a few hours on it, and there isn't any relay in the fuse box at all by the way, I did manage to find an in-line 5 amp fuse buried deep within the bodywork, that checked out fine. So I have decided to live without the bleedin' things. Many thanks for the responses.

I had the Honda OEM heated grips on my Integra, they also failed to work half way through last winter, giving the cost of the things it is not great TBH, I just got a set of Bar Muffs instead of replacing them as they work better anyway.

TheEnglishman

Mine went.  The wires that go to the throttle grip failed right where the wire joins the grip.  I used a dremmil to open the grip up a bit, soldered on new wire, filled the hole with silicone rubber and made the wire exit point significantly more substantial.

It's all easy to test as the whole grip wiring is just one big serial loop.  The current goes out thought the clutch grip, across the bike then through the throttle grip so continuity is easy to test with a multimeter

Good luck!  Or hope Santa brings you some Oxfords.... 

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2017 at 17:53, bob b said:

Well, spent a few hours on it, and there isn't any relay in the fuse box at all by the way, I did manage to find an in-line 5 amp fuse buried deep within the bodywork, that checked out fine. So I have decided to live without the bleedin' things. Many thanks for the responses.

Sounds like the dealer (if it was a dealer) that fitted them cheaped out on fitting the proper accessory harness and wired it in 'old school '

The Possum

I got the Oxford adventures off Amazon (instructions in German) and the oxford handle bar muffs. Really easy to fit and  now toasty paws! If you  can't find the fault just swap them out.

• 3 weeks later...

Curiously the Honda heated grips are currently unavailable to purchase for the NC750X. I suspect they are having problems ..

Edited by Trumpet

Got the accessory loom, got the relay and the 7.5A fuse, got the connectors to plug into said loom. Not sure whether to wait for Honda to get their act together and fix their issues with their heated grips or stick to the Oxford variety ..

Edited by Trumpet
TheEnglishman

Oxford.  I regret getting the honda ones.  

But since I got muffs I haven't had really cold hands.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎16‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 08:43, TheEnglishman said:

Mine went.  The wires that go to the throttle grip failed right where the wire joins the grip.  I used a dremmil to open the grip up a bit, soldered on new wire, filled the hole with silicone rubber and made the wire exit point significantly more substantial.

It's all easy to test as the whole grip wiring is just one big serial loop.  The current goes out thought the clutch grip, across the bike then through the throttle grip so continuity is easy to test with a multimeter

Good luck!  Or hope Santa brings you some Oxfords.... 

Many thanks for the pointer Neil. That is exactly where my fault turned out to be. As the weather has turned unusually artic down here in the home counties, I thought I had better set to and find this fault. I found it using my continuity meter working around the various circuits. Of course it does make sense (with hindsight) that the fault would probably be there, as that is where the cable is flexing back and forth when using the throttle and a weakness will develop. I should have followed Neil's tip and started at the throttle grip first.

I carefully cut away a small part of the throttle grip to expose the severed cable end and I also soldered in an extra length of wire to prevent the 'tugging' as the throttle is twisted. Instead of filling the hole in the grip with silicone rubber afterwards, I used some 'Sugru' to fill and also strengthen the weak point. I introduced some slack into the cable as well before cable tying it in place.

I hope that Neil and my findings may help someone else in the future.

Thanks for the info, I'll keep an eye on mine just incase they look like failing.