16k service advice

JamesS

Hi all, my bike is going in to a Honda dealer for it's 16k service next Wednesday. I've had it from new. Sorry if this has been covered anywhere else, but do any of the high milers or sage heads on here have any advice/experiences that I should look out for/learn from? Thanks

KingJames

I'd be really interested in hearing what it costs you in total as the thread a while ago started to make me twitch cost wise and I'm running out of kidneys to sell.

Edited by KingJames

The quote is £313 (the cheapest I could find) but I bet they find something chargeable that needs replacing!

Ask if that quote includes valve clearance check and adjustments as they are due. If the answer is yes, that would be really good price for official Honda garage. I have paid that much to independent garage just few months ago. 

PoppetM

I needed brakes and had a 12v scoket fitted. Mine came in at around 556, but I think the actual service was around 350ish. 

motorbykcourier

Ask Paul at More Moto in Gislingham (that's not so far from you) for a price.

He did mine 'till well after the Honda warranty ran out and always charges a VERY fair price - he still does work on my bike, but now I do most of the mainstream servicing myself.

There's a few other's on here that have had their bikes serviced by him.

In my experience he only does what's necessary and doesn't look for "extra's" !!

You might save yourself a few ££ and can always cancel your current appointment

Finlayson99
4 hours ago, JamesS said:

The quote is £313 (the cheapest I could find) but I bet they find something chargeable that needs replacing!

If that's a Honda dealer and it's the 16000 then that's a pretty decent price

TheEnglishman

Check all the consumables - brake pads are amazingly easy to change yourself.  As are spark plugs.  And oil and filters for that matter.  Even the valves are dead easy to check/adjust on this bike.  Is the bike in warranty?  If not just pay for the stuff you can't do - you'll save a fortune.  Tyres ok? Check all the lights etc work.  Don't fall for the usual crap like 'this part's half worn' - remember they're a business and this is the quiet time of year when they need to drum up as much business as possible.  

Guest bonekicker

If you have the bike on a PCP contract--it would probably be not far off being better to part exchange  your bike for a new one--using the forthcoming £500 service bill as deposit then just pay very much same monthly payments--sounds silly but you look into it--especially this time of year when bike sales slow down due to weather conditions. :console:

Guest GordonH

Recently got my 750x manual. Own a few others.

Nice light winter bike. Servicing to do myself. Cbf1000 saved £350 on service and clearances were within limits.   

Has anyone actually required their clearances adjusted at first 15k?

Thanks for the feedback guys. Hadn't intended to trade in, but interesting idea. It's only 18m old, so still in warranty, so I want a Honda stamp this last time. Never even heard of Gislingham before, but looking it up on a map I see its only a few miles from the dealer I'm using at Bury St Edmunds. Small world!

• Like 1
15 minutes ago, GordonH said:

Has anyone actually required their clearances adjusted at first 15k?

Yes. Nearly everyone. Welcome to the forum, btw. :) 

• Like 2
Brigante7

I paid £373 earlier this year for my 16k service, that included the valve clearance checks, from 2 wheels Honda in Edinburgh.

Brigante7.

• Like 1
Guest architectural_phil
19 hours ago, KingJames said:

I'd be really interested in hearing what it costs you in total as the thread a while ago started to make me twitch cost wise and I'm running out of kidneys to sell.

Hi, My 16K service in spring '17 was circa £430 - this did include a chain set too. due the 24K service shortly - i gather this is a short service tho. - I'll let you know.

17 hours ago, PoppetM said:

and had a 12v scoket fitted.

to power a hair dryer??? surely not!:blink:.......

PoppetM
1 hour ago, architectural_phil said:

to power a hair dryer??? surely not!:blink:.......

Now why didn't I think of that?!  :dielaugh:

7 hours ago, GordonH said:

Recently got my 750x manual. Own a few others.

Nice light winter bike.

I must really be a weakling if the 750X is a "light bike" :blink:  WTH do you ride as a "heavy" bike??

Edited by Morph
  • Like 1
KingJames

Oh don't say that. It is on my lottery win list. 

The NC is really quite a Heavy Bike. Honda have hidden the weight really well, keeping it low down by canting the engine so far forward. Most, "Modern", Motorcycles are heavier than they used to be, to meet the latest emissions standards.

13 minutes ago, GordonH said:

Got a nice comfy light winter run around f650gs year ago -  unreliable disappointment.

Nc750x ticks the boxes up to now.

Cbf 1000 is a cracking bike also.

I've just traded my cbf1000 for my nc, it feels much lighter, one of the first things I noticed was the low centre of gravity compared to the cbf in cross winds on the way home after picking it up.

• Like 1
Rocker66
42 minutes ago, Tyler said:

But agree ^^^ the cbf is a cracking bike, I ran mine for over 10 years.

Sue certainly enjoyed the 3 she owned and I only sold mine due to not being able to mouse it around following my accident. In many ways I would rather have one than my NC