16k service advice

JamesS

5 hours ago, machinman said:

30,000 miles. Never checked mine. Runs fine.....for now😲

Your bike, your decision. :) 

• Like 1
Guest GordonH

Cbf1000 clearances were all in centre of tolerance. Only one was exactly on/in its limits

Only costs time to check. 

Will need a manual for future referance and service data

The CBF1000 is direct attack cam on bucket with replaceable shims under buckets. This is totally different technology to the NC system with a roller rocker and screw adjuster/locknut.

• Like 1
Guest architectural_phil
On 11/29/2017 at 13:20, PoppetM said:

Now why didn't I think of that?!  :dielaugh:

just being ever mindful of the needs of others :ahappy:

Guest architectural_phil
22 hours ago, embee said:

The CBF1000 is direct attack cam on bucket with replaceable shims under buckets. This is totally different technology to the NC system with a roller rocker and screw adjuster/locknut.

just put this in google translate and I'm none the wiser.. :-)

Hi all, to follow up my initial post, I can confirm that the dealer (John Banks of Bury St Edmunds) stuck to their quote of £313 for my 16k service today. No extra charges or 'issues' found. They confirmed that they 'did' the valves (whatever that means exactly). It was even washed and ready on time. Judging by others experiences, I am quite pleaded.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Mine went into the dealers at the weekend, Belle Vue Honda (Southend) £311 including a valve check but not adjustment apparently. I've had the nod it's done and no advice of any other charges so I assume thats it.

Pick it up at the weekend so I'll update this when I know.

Edited by Tbirdx
44 minutes ago, JamesS said:

They confirmed that they 'did' the valves (whatever that means exactly). 

If you are interested there is a decent YouTuber who goes through some basic maintenance stuff, and shows you in detail.  Always useful to know even if you never do it yourself.

• Like 1

Thanks Morph. The link makes it look so simple (though his voice could send you to sleep!).

trisaki
4 hours ago, Tbirdx said:

Mine went into the dealers at the weekend, Belle Vue Honda (Southend) £311 including a valve check but not adjustment apparently. I've had the nod it's done and no advice of any other charges so I assume thats it.

Pick it up at the weekend so I'll update this when I know.

Every time I've done a valve clearence check  on a nc at least 2 or 3 valves needed attention  did an integra that had apparently a full service record  and every one was tight  and that was at 18000m my customer  just wanted  me to check them because  he thought the salesman was a bit cagey about the 16000 service  -so that integra had missed 2 valve clearence  checks  

• 3 weeks later...
TheEnglishman

The hard bit about servicing yourself is summoning up the courage to start.

This bike doesn't need many tools to work on and those you do need aren't expensive.  The most expensive ones I have are two torque wrenches - one small up to 40nm and a big 1/2" drive one that'll do the big stuff.

And my valves moved miles between the 16k and 32k service. Most were tight but one loose - go figure?  Just getting around to do the 48k one - it takes me all weekend but I do more than is required - wheels off, swing arm off, linkages checked etc.

Guest machinman
5 hours ago, TheEnglishman said:

The hard bit about servicing yourself is summoning up the courage to start.

This bike doesn't need many tools to work on and those you do need aren't expensive.  The most expensive ones I have are two torque wrenches - one small up to 40nm and a big 1/2" drive one that'll do the big stuff.

And my valves moved miles between the 16k and 32k service. Most were tight but one loose - go figure?  Just getting around to do the 48k one - it takes me all weekend but I do more than is required - wheels off, swing arm off, linkages checked etc.

Another good milage.

• 3 weeks later...

Had my 16000 service done on Saturday the 13th was quoted £380 and that was including to fit my chain and sprockets which I had brought myself

• 2 months later...
Guest patropsley

Jumping in on this thread as I undertook my 16 k valve clearance this weekend. I have a Beautiful (to me) Integra and although she keeps me warm and dry on my year round commute the payback is very much the fairing removal. Sooo to undertake the valve clearance check I spent 1 1/2 hours on the fairing and radiator  removal and around 15 mins on the valves!

I wanted to highlight the importance of this check as I had no inkling that I would need to adjust the valves however the exhaust valves on both cylinders were all tight one very tight, The other four we around spec (although all needed adjusting to spec). After running her once I have made the adjustment I can say that the difference in sound in noticeable and the gradual tightening crept up on me so I am very please I didn't take the easy option and cross my fingers and hope. I also wanted to give a tip (You all would have probable done this anyway but I didn't do it this way until I was re testing all the valves as an insurance check) using the spanner and the screwdriver (in unison) as in the picture allowed me to make the adjustment and tighten the nut with little fuss. If you are considering undertaking this job yourself I thoroughly recommend undertaking it- service manuals - you tube and this forum really mean you have it covered. One final observation and it may be on all bike but there was a blue number 2 written on the second cylinder, I had a rye smile on my face thinking of the engineer adding this to my engine helping some future owner.

Regards

Pat

Webp.net-resizeimage (1).jpg

valve-spanner[1].jpg