what paint to prevent corrosion ?

Mike5100

Mike5100
29 minutes ago, machinman said:

Throw the user manual in the bin. They are not written for the UK. 

Probably ok to hose down if you live in southern California where it rains for 10 minutes every other year.

Yes Stuart - I would have agreed with you if I hadn't just taken a closer look at my Africa Twin User manual.  I suspect that finally Honda have realised that California advice is no good for the UK.  Of course it's cheaper to throw the onus on to the owner to deal with salt than making the bike fit for purpose in the UK to start with.

Mike

• Sigh 1
Guest machinman
31 minutes ago, Mike5100 said:

Yes Stuart - I would have agreed with you if I hadn't just taken a closer look at my Africa Twin User manual.  I suspect that finally Honda have realised that California advice is no good for the UK.  Of course it's cheaper to throw the onus on to the owner to deal with salt than making the bike fit for purpose in the UK to start with.

Mike

Thanks Mike, stainless steel spokes i believe for 2018.

Winter riders have a tough battle.

Mike5100

Yeah my second set of spokes supposedly double plated were shot within two rides in salty conditions.  The rep on the stand said wait til April to claim again under warranty and they will replace the wheels with stainless spokes.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Grrr 1
Mike5100

So here's some pics of the banjos.  Remember this is just two rides in salty conditions after coating all the banjos and vulnerable brackets with XCP.

The second pics show I have taken up Lloyd's suggestion of using some copper grease.  Lets see how long that lasts.  BTW I notice that Honda do seem to have painted these with at least some black enamel.

38005007955_691584347d_c.jpg

This is a after attempting to remove it with various cleaners

38891864861_ea72412c0d_z.jpg

Edited by Mike5100

I shall watch this unfold with interest, Mike. Very disappointing that the painted banjos should suffer so badly (and so quickly). Nice try Soichiro san, but no cigar.

Those spokes look pretty grim too. Seriously, who wouldn’t pay a couple of hundred extra to get some stainless steel on such vulnerable areas?

Guest machinman
1 hour ago, Mike5100 said:

So here's some pics of the banjos.  Remember this is just two rides in salty conditions after coating all the banjos and vulnerable brackets with XCP.

The second pics show I have taken up Lloyd's suggestion of using some copper grease.  Lets see how long that lasts.  BTW I notice that Honda do seem to have painted these with at least some black enamel.

38005007955_691584347d_c.jpg

This is a after attempting to remove it with various cleaners

38891864861_ea72412c0d_z.jpg

Thats piss poor when you think how they marketed the bike. FFS just use better materials and put a few quid on the price.

Edited by machinman
Mike5100
5 hours ago, Tex said:

I shall watch this unfold with interest, Mike. Very disappointing that the painted banjos should suffer so badly (and so quickly). Nice try Soichiro san, but no cigar.

Those spokes look pretty grim too. Seriously, who wouldn’t pay a couple of hundred extra to get some stainless steel on such vulnerable areas?

... and they are the front ones Simon.  The back wheel spokes are much worse.  As well as a big black mark for Honda (which they are sorting eventually), it must be a big minus for XCP too

Mike

Dunnster
On 5 December 2017 at 22:38, Mike5100 said:

There's an x-shaped bracket under the NC's mudguard which on your bike will already be red rusty.  I know it doesn't really matter because it's out of sight, but if I want to 'paint' something like that what is the best way of doing it.  Is it better to get it powder coated or painted traditionally with primer undercoat and topcoat, or even simply painting over the rust with hammerite.  Until last year I would have always plumped for powder coating but then I read that it can crack at stress points, and also powder coating is quite a thick coat so how do you deal with the bolt holes.

And a second unconnected question.  why are our brake banjo's coated in something that does not resist salt and in no time at all gets a white fur on it?  Well that's a rhetorical question really, because I would actually like to know if you think painting all the banjos with black hammerite would prevent this and if so what would be the best way of prepping them and doing it?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike have you tried Tough black paint? I haven't but was talking to someone who mentioned this product. 

That rubberised stuff they sell for car wheel arches works well.

Mike5100

Well I have just done 3 days in Holland and Germany in horrendous rain sleet snow and ice.  And it looks like Lloyd's suggestion is a winner.  It looks like the copper grease is still on the banjos etc.  Will take a closer look tomorrow,

Mike

Grumpy old man
8 hours ago, Mike5100 said:

Well I have just done 3 days in Holland and Germany in horrendous rain sleet snow and ice.  And it looks like Lloyd's suggestion is a winner.  It looks like the copper grease is still on the banjos etc.  Will take a closer look tomorrow,

Mike

Fingers crossed. 

ACF50.  I use this sprayed onto a kitchen sponge and then wipe over all metal items on the bike (NO NOT YOUR BRAKES OR DISCS!!!)

Keeps the corrosion at bay and also means it is easy to wash the bike down in Spring.  Give it a good coating in Autumn and refresh it once during winter.  

My previous Sprint RS did 3 winters and looked new with 35k on the clocks thanks to ACF50 (and the fact that I looked after it!)

Surely there's no need to use copper grease.  Waxoyl products would do a cheaper and much less obtrusive job.  The 15 minute clip recently and posted on another thread was a wonderful testament to the virtues of Waxoyl.

Mike5100
9 hours ago, makman said:

ACF50.  I use this sprayed onto a kitchen sponge and then wipe over all metal items on the bike (NO NOT YOUR BRAKES OR DISCS!!!)

Keeps the corrosion at bay and also means it is easy to wash the bike down in Spring.  Give it a good coating in Autumn and refresh it once during winter.  

My previous Sprint RS did 3 winters and looked new with 35k on the clocks thanks to ACF50 (and the fact that I looked after it!)

That's not my experience Gordon.  Acf50 is brilliant stuff but I needed to reapply it after every two or 3 rides in the winter.  Only on the bolt heads and banjos that are exposed to the jetsream though.

Mike

I would check that the Waxoyl did not damage the rubber break hose before i used it...it does tend to soften a lot of rubber types.. 

On 12/16/2017 at 18:35, Mike5100 said:

That's not my experience Gordon.  Acf50 is brilliant stuff but I needed to reapply it after every two or 3 rides in the winter.  Only on the bolt heads and banjos that are exposed to the jetsream though.

Mike

Fair enough. It does come down to the quality of the banjo's and bolts. I'd replaced mine with SS302 grade so it withstood corrosion a lot better.  

Mike5100
On 12/18/2017 at 09:39, makman said:

Fair enough. It does come down to the quality of the banjo's and bolts. I'd replaced mine with SS302 grade so it withstood corrosion a lot better.  

Isn't that a pretty big and skilled job - did you replace all the brake tubing at the same time?

11 hours ago, Mike5100 said:

Isn't that a pretty big and skilled job - did you replace all the brake tubing at the same time?

I bought Goodridge Lines with SS Banjo's..... not skilled, but capable monkey at changing stuff over, like for better like.... :ahappy:

• 7 months later...

Just been told by Akzonobel (ICI Paints) that they do not recommend using Hammerite on motorcycles as it is not designed to deal with that environment. I originally asked them how do I thin hammerite for use with a small 2 inch high density foam roller. They say they can't recommend thinning (with their own thinners) the paint due to VOC regulations.

Just wondering why they sell the stuff then? I'm only using a small amount to pant the swing arm as I don't want to have remove/replace the perfectly good bearings if I wanted to get it powdercoated (which they make the paint for).

Probably just covering their arse.

• Sigh 1
fj_stuart
46 minutes ago, djsb said:

Just been told by Akzonobel (ICI Paints) that they do not recommend using Hammerite on motorcycles as it is not designed to deal with that environment. I originally asked them how do I thin hammerite for use with a small 2 inch high density foam roller. They say they can't recommend thinning (with their own thinners) the paint due to VOC regulations.

Just wondering why they sell the stuff then? I'm only using a small amount to pant the swing arm as I don't want to have remove/replace the perfectly good bearings if I wanted to get it powdercoated (which they make the paint for).

Probably just covering their arse.

Hammerite not recommended for use on motorcycles? That's news to me. My commuter/winter bikes ended up coated in the stuff. As for thinning - Lidl thinner/brush cleaner works fine. VOC regs? - be an outlaw!

• Like 3
Andy m

My XT exhaust was 97% Hammerite (and 3% Iron oxide) by the end. Go for it.

Andy

• Like 1
Rocker66

Back in the day just about every motorcyclist had a tin of hammering in the shed. I don’t know if they have changed the formula for it since then.

• Like 1
DaveM59

They have changed it, and it's not nearly as good as it used to be, but that also applies to all other competitor paint so it still is the best out there. Slap it on thick then brush it out, thin with cellulose thinners. Silver smooth stippled with a stiff brush looks very much like the factory finish applied to some forks too. Always have a tin or two in the garage.

• Like 1
commuter

I think that any paint which is a begger to take off must be good enough to put on. Hammerite is one of those paints. As regards thinners, I start with whatever stuff I already have and do a bit of a test. Last time I used smoothrite I am sure I used cellulose thinners.