Mike5100

what paint to prevent corrosion ?

Mike5100
29 minutes ago, machinman said:

Throw the user manual in the bin. They are not written for the UK. 

Probably ok to hose down if you live in southern California where it rains for 10 minutes every other year.

Yes Stuart - I would have agreed with you if I hadn't just taken a closer look at my Africa Twin User manual.  I suspect that finally Honda have realised that California advice is no good for the UK.  Of course it's cheaper to throw the onus on to the owner to deal with salt than making the bike fit for purpose in the UK to start with.

Mike

• Sigh 1

machinman
31 minutes ago, Mike5100 said:

Yes Stuart - I would have agreed with you if I hadn't just taken a closer look at my Africa Twin User manual.  I suspect that finally Honda have realised that California advice is no good for the UK.  Of course it's cheaper to throw the onus on to the owner to deal with salt than making the bike fit for purpose in the UK to start with.

Mike

Thanks Mike, stainless steel spokes i believe for 2018.

Winter riders have a tough battle.

Mike5100

Yeah my second set of spokes supposedly double plated were shot within two rides in salty conditions.  The rep on the stand said wait til April to claim again under warranty and they will replace the wheels with stainless spokes.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Grrr 1

Mike5100

So here's some pics of the banjos.  Remember this is just two rides in salty conditions after coating all the banjos and vulnerable brackets with XCP.

The second pics show I have taken up Lloyd's suggestion of using some copper grease.  Lets see how long that lasts.  BTW I notice that Honda do seem to have painted these with at least some black enamel.

38005007955_691584347d_c.jpg

This is a after attempting to remove it with various cleaners

38891864861_ea72412c0d_z.jpg

Edited by Mike5100

Tex

I shall watch this unfold with interest, Mike. Very disappointing that the painted banjos should suffer so badly (and so quickly). Nice try Soichiro san, but no cigar.

Those spokes look pretty grim too. Seriously, who wouldn’t pay a couple of hundred extra to get some stainless steel on such vulnerable areas?

machinman
1 hour ago, Mike5100 said:

So here's some pics of the banjos.  Remember this is just two rides in salty conditions after coating all the banjos and vulnerable brackets with XCP.

The second pics show I have taken up Lloyd's suggestion of using some copper grease.  Lets see how long that lasts.  BTW I notice that Honda do seem to have painted these with at least some black enamel.

38005007955_691584347d_c.jpg

This is a after attempting to remove it with various cleaners

38891864861_ea72412c0d_z.jpg

Thats piss poor when you think how they marketed the bike. FFS just use better materials and put a few quid on the price.

Edited by machinman

Mike5100
5 hours ago, Tex said:

I shall watch this unfold with interest, Mike. Very disappointing that the painted banjos should suffer so badly (and so quickly). Nice try Soichiro san, but no cigar.

Those spokes look pretty grim too. Seriously, who wouldn’t pay a couple of hundred extra to get some stainless steel on such vulnerable areas?

... and they are the front ones Simon.  The back wheel spokes are much worse.  As well as a big black mark for Honda (which they are sorting eventually), it must be a big minus for XCP too

Mike