rjp996

Tempted by a red head with a lip stud

rjp996

Was traveling through Dubai a couple of weeks back and in duty free they had a lovely Ducati 'moto' style bike on display - did not get a good look as heading for a connection, but it looked soooo good.

Fast forward to last Tue and riding home from  work I was approaching the Blackwell Tunnel and was following a great looking bike, pulled up by the side of it and it was the bike that stole my heart in Dubai....

Now I lust after a new woman - the Ducati Hypermotard........  reminds me of a punk girl with attitude... :-)

Bet it would be nice, but maybe not a daily commute like the one I was following (cred to him having bar muffs on his Ducati :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Smudger

Ducati Hypermotard - YEAH, the Lisbeth Salander of the bike world!

-Mark-

• Like 1

Tex

Friend of mine commuted on one in Los Angeles for a bit. Loved it. And another friend is using a Ducati Scrambler with good effect. I think the days when Ducati couldn’t make a decent daily rider are long gone. 

• Like 1

Rev Ken
2 hours ago, Tex said:

Friend of mine commuted on one in Los Angeles for a bit. Loved it. And another friend is using a Ducati Scrambler with good effect. I think the days when Ducati couldn’t make a decent daily rider are long gone. 

SO long as I don't have to follow them - even with earplugs.....:cry:

• Haha 1

Rocker66
51 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

SO long as I don't have to follow them - even with earplugs.....:cry:

But they sound lovely especially the ones with a dry clutch. My Multistrada was the best sounding bike I have owned in my opinion.😀😀

Edited by Rocker66

Mr Toad

I loved my 748SPS with a passion but I just couldn't live with it as daily transport, far too uncomfortable.

embee
4 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

But they sound lovely especially the ones with a dry clutch. My Multistrada was the best sounding bike I have owned in my opinion.😀😀

... in a washing machine full of brick ends and spanners kind of way. Noise not to my taste I have to say, but at least it isn't a DCT I suppose :lol:

Edited by embee
  • Like 1

Rocker66
22 minutes ago, embee said:

... in a washing machine full of brick ends and spanners kind of way. Noise not to my taste I have to say, but at least it isn't a DCT I suppose :lol:

That is exactly why I said in my opinion. As to the last part of your comment if you think I’m going to bite your sadly mistaken 😀😀

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

ChrisS

My mates 1100 eco monster sounds just like one!

it can be a bit embarrassing when riding through sleepy villages in the Peak District and he does like to blip the throttle when stationary😳

Foxy
1 hour ago, ChrisS said:

My mates 1100 eco monster sounds just like one!

it can be a bit embarrassing when riding through sleepy villages in the Peak District and he does like to blip the throttle when stationary😳

Surely that's compulsory on a Ducati, the same as when dropping down through the box, wonderful rattle and fantastic exhaust note.  The reverberation on country roads lined with trees is worth seeking out, bring on the Summer.

• Thanks 1

Brigante7
On ‎06‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 23:10, embee said:

Ah, a Ducati monster 797 with DCT, my dream bike.

Brigante7.

• Like 1

ChrisS
5 hours ago, Foxy said:

Surely that's compulsory on a Ducati, the same as when dropping down through the box, wonderful rattle and fantastic exhaust note.  The reverberation on country roads lined with trees is worth seeking out, bring on the Summer.

Yes the sound is lovely, just a little embarrassing when you get the tut tut looks from the fogeys when they are on their Sunday afternoon walkies with fou fou...

Tex

Noisy bikes get ‘Tut Tut’ looks from me too. And, in extreme cases, the wanker sign as well. 

Rocker66
31 minutes ago, Tex said:

Noisy bikes get ‘Tut Tut’ looks from me too. And, in extreme cases, the wanker sign as well. 

I 100% agree but I found I could ride my Ducati quietly and just enjoy the sound when well away from people and yes there are such places in the South East parts of Romney Marshes for example.

Edited by Rocker66
  • Like 1

Chris750

large.ducati.jpg.75bb9b9e8278db9aaf87a9799e20fe98.jpg

• Haha 5

Rev Ken
5 hours ago, Tex said:

The sound of noisy bikes racing around the hills and villages in the Lake District cause 'discontent' to residents to the extent that there have been petitions to the National Trust to ban bikes. While I doubt they would ban them, (I don't know if they even have that authority) on roads running through Trust property, you have been warned! I know several areas now have speed watches, just another hazard for 'enthusiastic' riders, so why not amble through admiring the scenery? 

• Like 2

Exceledsteve

I could never own a Ducati as the bag of spanners engine noise offends my mechanically sympathetic ear. That's not the overbearing sound that offends joe public though. It's non standard exhausts at high revs that bother people. Riders who do this are selfish and potentially cause over reaction which will adversely affect the rest of us.

• Like 4

Rocker66
5 minutes ago, Exceledsteve said:

I could never own a Ducati as the bag of spanners engine noise offends my mechanically sympathetic ear. That's not the overbearing sound that offends joe public though. It's non standard exhausts at high revs that bother people. Riders who do this are selfish and potentially cause over reaction which will adversely affect the rest of us.

But there are many Ducati riders who keep the standard exhaust as I did so Ducati can’t be blamed for people fitting noisy exhaust any more than any other manufacturer. Even Triumph list pipes marked not for road use.. plenty of people on here have said that they have fitted loud cans because they believe the slogan “ Loud pipes save lives”

Exceledsteve
5 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

But there are many Ducati riders who keep the standard exhaust as I did so Ducati can’t be blamed for people fitting noisy exhaust any more than any other manufacturer. Even Triumph list pipes marked not for road use.. plenty of people on here have said that they have fitted loud cans because they believe the slogan “ Loud pipes save lives”

I'm confused. No one is blaming the bike manufacturer for the after sale purchase decisions of owners. That would be absurd. And loud pipes may make a difference in alerting traffic around you that you're there, they may not. They definitely have a bigger impact on people's sensibilities when ridden at high revs through the villages, vales and hills.

Rocker66
2 minutes ago, Exceledsteve said:

I'm confused. No one is blaming the bike manufacturer for the after sale purchase decisions of owners. That would be absurd. And loud pipes may make a difference in alerting traffic around you that you're there, they may not. They definitely have a bigger impact on people's sensibilities when ridden at high revs through the villages, vales and hills.

I agree and have posted much the same myself on more than one occasion. I mentioned Ducati as there had been some posts on this thread regarding the noise of them. I don’t like loud pipes and believe that one of the reasons that people often think that bikes are travelling faster than they actually are is loud pipes..

Tex
42 minutes ago, Rev Ken said:

The sound of noisy bikes racing around the hills and villages in the Lake District cause 'discontent' to residents to the extent that there have been petitions to the National Trust to ban bikes. While I doubt they would ban them, (I don't know if they even have that authority) on roads running through Trust property, you have been warned! I know several areas now have speed watches, just another hazard for 'enthusiastic' riders, so why not amble through admiring the scenery? 

The lovely little Sussex town of Rye is a magnet to bikers, mostly because there are so many good roads around it. A resident (it’s assumed, he or she was never caught) was so pissed off by riders on one section on Sunday mornings that they poured diesel over some of the bends. That whole stretch of road (several miles) has now had a 40 mph limit imposed and gets regular (Sunday) checks. I actually had a guy tell me he was considering moving out of Rye to get away from the ‘nightmare’ of riders. :( 

• Sad 1

Rocker66
12 minutes ago, Tex said:

The lovely little Sussex town of Rye is a magnet to bikers, mostly because there are so many good roads around it. A resident (it’s assumed, he or she was never caught) was so pissed off by riders on one section on Sunday mornings that they poured diesel over some of the bends. That whole stretch of road (several miles) has now had a 40 mph limit imposed and gets regular (Sunday) checks. I actually had a guy tell me he was considering moving out of Rye to get away from the ‘nightmare’ of riders. :( 

We ride through Rye on the way to Hastings on a regular basis and the bikes certainly can’t be speeding through the town as most days including Sunday’s your lucky if the traffic is moving at 20 mph. Due to the size of modern vehicles and the old narrow roads it is most likely to be stop start all the way through. If it wasn’t for the riders who fit loud pipes there would not be a problem.

I have an Akrapovic can on my bike which is no louder than standard but would be if I were to take the DB killer out. This would probably make a sound that I would like but I would never do it for the reason mentioned.