Workshop stand

Guest PaulE

Any tips on workshop stands? Best option for DIY tyre changes? What are you using?

I'd have gone for an Abba, but the swingarm bearing where the stand fits is obscured. I'm wary of Heath Robinson solutions. Even paddock stands front and rear can be a bit wobbly, from previous experience. Bet someone on here has solved it?

stephenmcg

Surely a bike centrestand is best.

you can take of back wheel easily.

put something heavy on pillion seat to raise front when taking off front wheel.

i put axle stand at front when wheel is off.

i also have a bike mover. I can move bike around garage even with rear wheel off.

the centre stand is on plate of mover.

smcg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Grumpy old man

+1 for centre stand. 

• Like 1
trisaki

Paddock stands are fine but if you're bike is a dct model  you will have to take  off the handbrake caliper  before you fit the stand otherwise it gets in the way - by far the best Bet is a centre stand    makes life so much easier  

• Like 1
SteveThackery
14 hours ago, Grumpy old man said:

+1 for centre stand. 

Trouble is you have to jack under the engine if you want to lift the front wheel off the ground.

SteveThackery

I would love one of those stands that lifts the bike up in the air to a slightly more normal working height.  It gets uncomfortable scrabbling around on the floor.  Unfortunately they are expensive and bulky (there's barely room in my garage to fit a 4 thou feeler gauge, never mind a bike stand).

• Like 3
  • Sigh 1

You park a bike in your garage though, Steve? Park the bike on the bench. No extra room needed. :) 

Paddock stands are OK in, er, race paddocks. I’m not really a fan. Yes, you can take both wheels out at the same time. Race bikes spend a lot of time in pieces. Can’t see the point of using them on a road bike.

• Like 1
Exceledsteve

I use a hydraulic trolley jack and a bit of wood in the absence of a centre stand. And I keep my arms. Legs, pets and kids clear of it

• Haha 1

One of the reasons I first looked at the NC was the centre stand. It is amazing how many bikes don't have that option. Add a £40 turntable disc and I can spin the old girl around on the stand, and she's pointing at the road ready for the next ride

Bigglesaircraft

What make is your turntable?

• Confused 1
Grumpy old man
8 hours ago, SteveThackery said:

Trouble is you have to jack under the engine if you want to lift the front wheel off the ground.

I have a counter weight on the floor put a strap on the rear of the bike and pull it down.  I've never had both wheels of at the same time I'd have to think about that😮.

It was my birthday recently and used the gift money to purchase an abba sky lift . Looks a great bit of kit in the flesh and it's really stable.

it was an indulgence but as Oscar Wilde said " I can resist everything but temptation " 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Bigglesaircraft said:

What make is your turntable?

I think mine is an 'Easyturn' like this one. 

https://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/Centre-Stand-Turntable-40cm-16inch-Bike-Motorbike-Motorcycle-by-EasyTurn-/302550019902?_trksid=p2385738.m4383.l4275.c10

the price seems to have gone up since I got mine though. I've had it a few years, and it is still going strong and works nicely with any bikes I've had including the NC.

I had one of the rubber ones before this metal job and they only lasted a season as the stand chewed the rubber up.

1 hour ago, Tonyj said:

It was my birthday recently and used the gift money to purchase an abba sky lift . Looks a great bit of kit in the flesh and it's really stable.

it was an indulgence but as Oscar Wilde said " I can resist everything but temptation " 

I was really tempted by one of these but understood can only be used on 'superbikes' with the correct access through the swinging arm, is this not correct? I would love something like this that I cold use to lift various bikes. 

19 minutes ago, machinman said:

Google "Quasar bike lift".

Ive had one for 12 months. Very impressed.

Thanks, never heard of them, looks ideal. Do you use the beam mounts for the NC or the F frame? Bit late for my Christmas list (and a bit expensive) so will have to dip into the bike kitty :angel:

I had an ABBA lift for my previous CBR250R. Had to sell the stand as there is no access to the swing arm bolt and so no fitting kit for the NC.

Guest machinman
1 hour ago, Trev said:

Thanks, never heard of them, looks ideal. Do you use the beam mounts for the NC or the F frame? Bit late for my Christmas list (and a bit expensive) so will have to dip into the bike kitty :angel:

Footrest mounting for the NC, and most bikes i think, apart from the exotic stuff.

Slowboy

Have an hydraulic bike lift (ARE) for working on the bikes, not cheap but saves my old bones from bending too much. Had to buy a rear paddock stand for the CRF (no centre stand. Bought a cheap one and had to strengthen it. Better ones are available. 

Just finished my design for a flat pack centre stand for the CRF, which in aluminium should only weigh a couple of kilos, and make tyre changing etc much easier both at home and be able to carry easily on the road. Good excuse to fire up the lathe and miller once I've ordered the materials in January. If the prototype goes well I might even make a few.

Wouldn't work for the NC sadly.

• Like 3

Is there a CRF forum you could sell them on, Brian? 

18 hours ago, Exceledsteve said:

I use a hydraulic trolley jack and a bit of wood in the absence of a centre stand. And I keep my arms. Legs, pets and kids clear of it

- I got about that far before researching proper lifts 😊. Until I can run to something more funky  I’ll make do with centre stand and strapping down the rear. The sky lifts look great - that would certainly save my knees...possibly a bit big to come down the chimney in the next day or two.

ChrisCB

Another method I've used on my Varadero with centre stand to raise the front is a scaffold board between the rack and garage roof! 

But now I use this.

IMG_20170309_161709.jpg.eb8bb2da7e6cfd642a3c54ea8c23c168.jpg

Edited by Chris750
Added a bit
Guest machinman
23 minutes ago, Chris750 said:

Another method I've used on my Varadero with centre stand to raise the front is a scaffold board between the rack and garage roof! 

But now I use this.

IMG_20170309_161709.jpg.eb8bb2da7e6cfd642a3c54ea8c23c168.jpg

Is that the Quasar Chris?

I have the red version.