James Russell

The Silver Wing

James Russell

Hello All,

Hope you are all well.

I have been off bikes since August. I sold my trusty NC700 integra to my local stealers in Bristol. They gave me £2300 for it and put it up for sale at £3999. BUT, I needed the money to start my Motorsport adventure with Team Brit.

I'm now desperate to get back on a bike. But A, I'm a bit strapped for cash and B, as I'm disabled I am restricted to Auto. So a Maxi-Scooter of some sort. I also want to use the bike to travel to races with all my kit on occasion. So it has to have good storage.

I have seen a Honda SilverWing local to where I work. Now the Silverwing isn't my cup of tea in the looks department. But it does tick a lot of other boxes. Plus this one already has heated grips, a top box and wind deflectors. Plus low mileage of 11,000 on a 2008 bike.

Has anyone owned one of these. How do they compare to the NC700 range.

Any advise and or suggestions to other bikes would be well received.

Thanks Guys,

James 

• Like 1

James Russell

Just tried the Silverwing.

Does everything that I want it to. I actually think that it might of been a little quicker than the Integra. Even with less power. Riding position was very comfortable. And with the large under seat storage and top box, it had loads of luggage space. Just not as nice to look at as the BMW C650 GT.

• Like 1

DaveM59

I know a few people that own them and I think without exception they are all extremely happy. Early models pre 2007 were thirsty but his has been addressed on later maps of the ECU. I too am not keen on the styling, or the huge transmission casing, and certain aspects of basic servicing look a bit tight for access space especially around the rear brake callipers, but otherwise seem a good buy. Better usable storage than the Integra as well, less complex electronics, decent performance...but ugly!

I wish Honda would do a 400 or 500 Forza as I like the look of them but 300cc seems a bit small. 

dave

I'm very happy with my Silverwing, it's a 2010 one, servicing is simple, even the belt. I changed that at 16000 miles and the old one was still like new.  

Its looks grow on you, I keep up with Honda club members on our rides when I use it. 

It is good on fuel, the same figures as my other bikes (2013 Deauville and CBF600S)., about 60-65 mpg.     

James Russell

I think I am going to bite the bullet and get this one that I tried today. I have just emailed the dealer that bought my Integra to see what I can get it back for. But I can't see them getting anywhere near what I would pay to get it back.

Just waiting for the dealer with the Silverwing to tell me what we can do the deal for. I'll use it for a year or two and then get something else. Maybe keep the Swing as my workhorse!

• Confused 1

lazlo woodbine

I have the use of a 04 on at the moment. Build quality is excellent, it goes like the clappers and the grunt is quite addictive but I know I will pay for it in mpg. Weather protection is great and the brakes with abs are brilliant. She makes a great winter bike. Downsides are; She is a lardy beast but carries her weight low unlike the Deauville, I found the riding position hard on my back over the badly surfaces back roads around here. Main roads and around town were no problem. I can see why people love them.

Tex

I’m sure the Silverwing would do you proud, James. A pal of mine had one and used it as a comfy tourer. Rode it down to the Sahara desert (well, apart from a couple of ferries..) and then shipped it over to the USA and did loads of miles there. Never missed a beat. 

I have the upmost respect for it - but, sadly, the looks never grew on me! :D 

• Like 1

trisaki

If funds are tight I've got a piaggio 300 for sale  in very good order pm me if interested  

• Like 1

Exceledsteve

I had one for nearly 3 years - a '64 reg. so probably one of the last brand new ones sold. I almost bought the Integra 750 instead but the Silverwing is more practical... Way more storage under the seat, much better leg room, bigger fairing/screen, really low seat height and cheaper to buy. It was my daily transport and never missed a beat. Overall a very good bike and probably the most useful bike I've owned. The downsides, compared with the Integra, are:  higher fuel consumption (I reckon I averaged 55mpg), a bit heaver but very easy to manage due to the low seat height, older tech - it looks and feels yesterday compared to the Integra but it is one of the superbly finished Hondas... mine looked brand new still when I part ex'd it with about 8.5k miles. It's wider than the Integra so getting through some of the traffic pinch points around London proved a bit tricky sometimes when a smaller scooter would wiggle through.

They're very reliable and you can expect high mileage if they're looked after. I loved it but it was a stop gap for me until the X-ADV came out. I hope you enjoy it if you get it.

Tonyj

Had x 2 , really rated them . Never felt they were heavy in the handling department . Could be a bit detached at speed , most likely the skinny bars/tyres and low down heft but performance was good . 55 mpg rode at 80/90 mph . Never broke down . Did 20k first one , bought a newer one and did another 20plus k before some bird killed it . 

gonzo

feathered type,. ? just asking.,

renners

Had 2 myself used them for touring Europe did the Swiss Alps into Italy never missed a beat and so much fun, I don't think it is as steadfast on the motorway at high speeds 100mph as the Integra but way more comfortable. It really is a quality machine.

Tonyj
31 minutes ago, gonzo said:

feathered type,. ? just asking.,

Nope , mental type :0))

Edited by Tonyj

James Russell

So the dealer that took my bike off me are saying that I can have mine back for £3000. That is £700 more than what they gave me for it. But it’s going to be Mot’d serviced and have 6 months warranty. Plus I know the bike. I think I would be silly not to have it back. Might treat it to an exhaust just to make it feel different.

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

Tex

A service, MOT and six months warranty? Yeah, I can see that. Welcome back! :) 

• Like 1

James Russell

Thanks Tex. it’s like a really expensive winter storage. Ha

I think the mpg is better on the Integra as well. 

Now do I get them to fit the luggage and exhaust. So then the bike is exactly how I want it.

• Like 1

Rocker66
56 minutes ago, James Russell said:

Now do I get them to fit the luggage and exhaust. So then the bike is exactly how I want it.

If you can afford it go for it As then you will have the bike you really want.

embee

Sounds like they're being very reasonable. You obviously made the decision to sell it for very good reason, and having served its purpose hopefully you can make the next decision and be happy with the outcome.

James Russell

I think I will get luggage and zorst sorted. At least it will feel a little different.

yes to be fair I think they are being pretty good about it. So fair play.

• Like 1

Tex

Look at it this way, James, if you had kept the bike and borrowed £2300 you would very likely have paid £700 interest. So the dealership merely gave you a loan with the bike as security! :) 

• Like 1

amiga-mark

Loved my Integra 700 - and by your avatar you had the correct colour !!!!

James Russell

Yes I really liked the red color of my 700. Plus, being really sad, all my gear matched the bike. So getting a bike with a different color would of really annoyed me. HA.

Getting the Givi TRT52B box fitted which should be plenty big enough.

Pick her up on Sat. Decided that she will now be my long term work horse. So if financially I could afford to get something else in the future. It will be my intention to keep the 700 for work.

• Like 1