Faulty Cam chain tensioner

Guest kevvtx

Guest kevvtx

The delivery of my brand new NC700X was delayed a week when a faulty cam chain tensioner was spotted during the pre delivery inspection!! The faulty part has been replaced, has anyone else had this and should i be concerned?

Guest simon

I'm not sure what's on the PDI list, but if it doesn't include valves I'd be deeply suspicious of how the mechanic noticed the tensioner was faulty.

I suppose the big rattling noises from the engine was the give away!

Guest kevvtx

I agree with you all and cant help being suspicious about it. Hopefully everything will be ok, if not lets hope the Honda warranty comes up trumps!!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kevvtx

When i finally collected the bike, the mechanic stated they spotted/heard the fault. As a result they have replaced the cam chain tensioner. I would be delighted if someone could explain how the bike could leave the factory with this fault and how the dealer spotted it pre delivery?

Guest chasp

Not sure if this will help you, When i went to pick up my new nc700s i was taken round to the work shop to see it

and it was running at idle for about 10mins before its road test. Could this be to get all parts warm and expanded

and find any rattles that may develop.

Rev Ken

For any mechanic a faulty cam chain tensioner is obvious by the noise the loose cam chain makes. Tensioners are cheap enough, once you get to them, and shouldn't fail, but when they do it is usually very suddenly, with no warning. It is not wise to run the engine for any length of time with a failed tensioner as a lot of damage can occur - don't ask me how I know...... :fear: .