NC700x Nc750x

Guest marts

Hi Everyone,

Can someone help with some Technical question?

Will a Dual Clutch Transmission Foot Shift Kit for a NC700X   08U70-MGS-D51  fit on NC750X  DCT 2017  Also where is the spare wiring for one?

Thanks

Martin 

Don't know , no help ,but I think Fred had a foot kit

Edited by Tonyj
cartejo5

Not sure if it’s entirely factual but last Saturday I was speaking to a salesman at our local Honda dealer and asked about a foot gear lever for a new model nc750x Dct and was told they aren’t available.

wingrider.steve

The foot shift kit was dropped when the 2016 models came out and there are no longer any connections on the wiring harness for the foot shift on the 2016 models onwards.

• Thanks 1
Bart Stilgo

This is a red herring but I wanted to see a foot switch for high and low beam on the left

My left foot needs something to do now and then :ahappy:

fred_jb
7 hours ago, marts said:

Hi Everyone,

Will a Dual Clutch Transmission Foot Shift Kit for a NC700X   08U70-MGS-D51  fit on NC750X  DCT 2017  Also where is the spare wiring for one?

Thanks

Martin 

Sorry but I can't say for certain, but I have vague memories that the kit I bought for my 750 had instructions for two models.   I think you had to cut some plastic off a cover on one but there was already enough clearance on the other.  Problem is I can't remember if that was for different years of the 750, or for the 700 and 750.  If you have the electrical connector and the bolt hole which I think has a plastic blanking plug in it which has to be removed, then it will probably fit.

Hold on  - just had a thought that I had downloaded a pdf of the installation instructions, and have just found it.  Here you go:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3k55p4t0w1gelrk/DCT shift pedal.pdf?dl=0 

This has a different part number, but the one you are quoting may just be a later revision of the same part.

BTW - I strongly recommend the DCT foot pedal - I found it excellent.

Edited by fred_jb
  • Like 1
fred_jb
7 hours ago, marts said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks

Martin 

Just Googled the part number you quoted and this was the first result:  https://northwestmotorcyclesdirect.com/Honda-NC-Dual-Clutch-Transmission-Foot-Shift-Kit-08U70-MGS-D51

At the bottom of that page it says:

Manufacturer: Honda
Compatibile with: Honda NC700S 2012-2013
Honda NC700X 2012-2013
Honda NC750X 2014-2015
Honda NC750S 2014-2015
Part number: 08U70-MGS-D51

Google is your friend in these situations!

Edited by fred_jb
fred_jb

Just another update - Honda added £100 to price of this item between me ordering it and the supplier finding they had no stock.  They were most apologetic about having to put the price up after initially quoting me less.  I then complained to Honda who eventually got back to me with a goodwill gesture to supply it at the original price.  However, in the interim I found it for sale in Germany at even less than the original UK price, so that's where I ordered mine from.   If you do some more Googling you might also find a cheaper European source.

For example here who have 10% off until Jan 31st:  https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/honda-genuine-parts/08u70mgsd51-kit-dct-pedal-shi.aspx

So 286.78 Euros or about £253 with possibly another 10% off if it is not included in that price, compared to UK price of £370

Edited by fred_jb
wingrider.steve

.....but it will still not fit on a 2017 750X as the required wiring is no longer there.

fred_jb

Agreed, I misread the OP's question, but the info may be useful to someone else who finds this thread through a search.

If you are intent on having one on the later bikes it might be possible to tap into the wiring for the paddles switches if the physical mounting point still exists, but the stumbling block would probably be getting the system to recognise it, as Honda may have removed the option to the bike's software.  Might be possible to check that by seeing if the system install routine can still be invoked using the procedure in the installation instructions, as if there it should attempt to connect even with the lever not fitted.

Bit of a shame they have discontinued this as it was much more instinctive to use than the paddles.

Edited by fred_jb

Hi Martin, I looked into this when I bought my duct last year, I was told by Honda that due to a design change within the gearbox it was no longer possible to fit any kind of foot change.

Sorry guys to be a bit thick, why would you fit a foot change for an auto gearbox, thought it was all on the handle bars , !!

fred_jb
Just now, gonzo said:

Sorry guys to be a bit thick, why would you fit a foot change for an auto gearbox, thought it was all on the handle bars , !!

It looks and feels like a standard foot change, but has no mechanical connection to the gearbox. Instead it incorporates electrical switches which work the same as the paddles on the left bar.  The advantage I found that it was easier and more instinctive changing gear with my otherwise unemployed left foot, than groping around for the paddles on the bar.

Yeah but, wouldnt you just buy a manual bike ..?

fred_jb
5 minutes ago, gonzo said:

Yeah but, wouldnt you just buy a manual bike ..?

Not me - a DCT with foot change gives the best of both worlds.  It is still an auto with all the advantages of that, especially in traffic, but when you want to change manually, either to override in D or S modes, or when in full manual mode, you have an easy to use foot shift, which is better than any quickshifter on a conventional gearbox.

Edited by fred_jb

Thankyou all for your help and support with my technical question about a foot shift kit for my nc750x 2017 model.

So now it looks like i have a £200 quid Dual Clutch Transmission Foot Shift Kit 08U70-MGS-D51 for a NC700X that will not fit on my new NC750X 2017.

Thank you all again

Marts

fred_jb
On 1/28/2018 at 18:32, marts said:

Thankyou all for your help and support with my technical question about a foot shift kit for my nc750x 2017 model.

So now it looks like i have a £200 quid Dual Clutch Transmission Foot Shift Kit 08U70-MGS-D51 for a NC700X that will not fit on my new NC750X 2017.

Thank you all again

Marts

Just a thought, though maybe too late.  If you bought it online, then under the Distance Selling Regulations you have 10 working days (I think) to notify the seller of your intention to return any goods bought online.  You don't have to have any specific reason, though in your case you do anyway.  You would probably have to pay the return postage, though technically I believe the seller is supposed to.

Edited by fred_jb
15 minutes ago, fred_jb said:

You would probably have to pay the return postage, though technically I believe the seller is supposed to.

Most businesses seem to work on the ‘fault’ principle. If you order the wrong part they will expect you to pay the return postage. If they supply the wrong part they will cover it.

Some (such as Urban Rider) just swallow it, no matter who made the mistake.

fred_jb
7 minutes ago, Tex said:

Most businesses seem to work on the ‘fault’ principle. If you order the wrong part they will expect you to pay the return postage. If they supply the wrong part they will cover it.

Some (such as Urban Rider) just swallow it, no matter who made the mistake.

Yes agreed, but the Distance Selling Regulations are designed to allow for the fact that that when you buy online you have no opportunity to examine the goods.  Therefore you are allowed, within the time limit, to return for a full refund.  It doesn't matter what your reason is, it doesn't have to be a wrong part, you could just change your mind, not like the look or quality of the item, etc.  You must not have used the item, so it needs to be returned in as new condition, preferably though not necessarily with the original packaging.

Edited by fred_jb

Yes, I know, but I’m just saying how it normally works in practice rather than in theory. :) 

MikeBike
14 hours ago, fred_jb said:

You would probably have to pay the return postage, though technically I believe the seller is supposed to.

You are supposed to pay the return postage, the seller is supposed to refund all that you paid initially (goods plus outward P&P)

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I just ordered the 08U70-MGS-D51 for my MY19
should arrive next week (cheeseburger paperwork permitting!) 

looks like honda dropped the connector on some MY as said. My best tip would be... go on your motorbike. remove 1 screw - distance a bit the cover and see if the cable is there (it is really easy to spot!). If you have the cable you are good. If no cable do not even bother! 
If interested I will post here some step by step pics of installation (from the PDF is straight forward) once I get the parcel. 

• Like 1