Jump to content
Tex

Is it only me?

Recommended Posts

Tex

Popped into my favourite dealership today and thought the new Affy Twin ‘Adventure Sports’ (or whatever it’s called) looked gorgeous in the turquoise and red. Stunning. But, I say, surely £13.5k (DCT) is a bit salty?

 

 

FC91AF7C-E57D-49F4-AA14-49586E011085.jpeg

Edited by Tex
Added photo

Share this post


Link to post
Coval
1 hour ago, Tex said:

Popped into my favourite dealership today and thought the new Affy Twin ‘Adventure Sports’ (or whatever it’s called) looked gorgeous in the turquoise and red. Stunning. But, I say, surely £13.5k (DCT) is a bit salty?

 

 

not for a bike like that Tex, suits you sir....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
VisioN

My first thought was how massive it looks compared to NC

Share this post


Link to post
Woody 99

Simon, going by the photo you posted, did you pop into an Aussie dealers? If it turns out the price was in Aussie drachmas and not pounds then you’ve got yourself a bargain.

Share this post


Link to post
machinman

IMO that is how the standard model should have been specced when it was re-released a couple of years ago.

Edited by machinman
Typo
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Woody 99

I checked the prices here is Switzerland and I can get the same bike for £12,500. So, to answer your question, yes, it does seem a tad salty, even by Swiss standards. 

Share this post


Link to post
Andy m

Or, I could have a 700 Tracer thingy AND a MASH, Jawa or Enfield.

 

Andy

  • Like 2
  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
53 minutes ago, Woody 99 said:

I checked the prices here is Switzerland and I can get the same bike for £12,500. So, to answer your question, yes, it does seem a tad salty, even by Swiss standards. 

 

Interesting - so, is that an ‘exchange rate’ thing? Or a ‘rip off’ thing? 

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
8 hours ago, VisioN said:

My first thought was how massive it looks compared to NC

 

Aye, she’s a big girl. But, like Lisa Riley, surprisingly light on her feet. :) 

  • Sigh 1

Share this post


Link to post
Woody 99
42 minutes ago, Tex said:

 

Interesting - so, is that an ‘exchange rate’ thing? Or a ‘rip off’ thing? 

I’m not sure. Back when I used to read Car Magazine obsessively it used to surprise me that Swiss cars would be double the sterling price (just in numerical amount, not in price itself) even though there were 2.4 francs to the pound (Now there are 1.3 - how the mighty pound has fallen), so even then, Swiss prices were marginally better after adjusting for exchange rate. So it may well be that you pay relatively more in the U.K. than in CH anyway. If I had time I’d study it to see if similar anomalies still exist but I have to spend the day with my 8 year old while Mrs. W goes skiing. No rest for the wicked. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tex

Time spent with an 8 year old beats spending time talking to me on the internet - enjoy!! :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Woody 99
2 minutes ago, Tex said:

Time spent with an 8 year old beats spending time talking to me on the internet - enjoy!! :) 

Sometimes. Unless she’s in her teenager phase....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
1 hour ago, Andy m said:

Or, I could have a 700 Tracer thingy AND a MASH, Jawa or Enfield.

 

Andy

 

I’m thinking more a CB1100EX and a Vision 110..

 

 

EB539B82-B3FB-4171-959C-9F74183D3143.jpeg

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Woody 99

The CB1100 is drop dead gorgeous. If only they’d offer it with DCT. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Roders
15 hours ago, Tex said:

Stunning. But, I say, surely £13.5k (DCT) is a bit salty?

Sure is compared to the V-Strom 1000 GT  (no DCT though).

However £30K for the new Goldwing DCT is a bit rich when K1600 models are around £10k cheaper, even the latest Grand America and a G310 thrown in would give you change out of £30K! 

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602

I'm beginning to think Honda is getting a teeny bit ambitious with it's pricing. Yamaha's 700cc MT series are of similar prices (if not slightly cheaper) than their CB500 equivalents while giving WAY more firepower and broadly similar real world economy; The Africa Twin is quite a bit more than either the Versys or V-Strom 1000s, the big BMW and Triumph touring bikes are cheaper than Pan Europeans (even the R1200RT is over a grand cheaper than a Pan European now!!!).

 

I can only imagine it's Hondas generally more competitive finance deals that keep the balance in check.

Share this post


Link to post
KeithReeder

Honda are just making bikes that people want to buy, Ciaran.

 

Back in the day when I did my first CBT, I had the original (pre-beak!) Beemer F650 in my head as my intended end point, but things didn't play out as planned, and I never got as far as getting my bike licence.

 

Now I'm going through it all again, and although I can afford pretty much any bike that might take my fancy, I want an NC750X. 

 

Yes, I'd prefer it not to have such a bargain-basement swingarm, but aside from that, it's my (my) perfect bike thanks to its combination of practicality, economy, reliability, build quality, and DCT. 

 

Simply put, nobody else builds the bike I want...

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602
15 minutes ago, KeithReeder said:

Honda are just making bikes that people want to buy, Ciaran.

 

Back in the day when I did my first CBT, I had the original (pre-beak!) Beemer F650 in my head as my intended end point, but things didn't play out as planned, and I never got as far as getting my bike licence.

 

Now I'm going through it all again, and although I can afford pretty much any bike that might take my fancy, I want an NC750X. 

 

Yes, I'd prefer it not to have such a bargain-basement swingarm, but aside from that, it's my (my) perfect bike thanks to its combination of practicality, economy, reliability, build quality, and DCT. 

 

Simply put, nobody else builds the bike I want...

It's great that Honda suit you and a great number of people.

 

However it doth sound like there's a haze between Honda making bikes 'people' want and bikes you want; I don't deny the DCT is a huge draw for Honda and it's a masterpiece in forward thinking for motorcycles but none of that changes that the comparative manual versions of a number of Hondas models are considerably more expensive than their competition.

 

The question then is why: superlative build quality? Perhaps but I would argue few bikes are really poorly made anymore. Styling? Perhaps. They've got a good general aesthetic design going on but thats very much subjective. Fuel economy? Very possibly, definitely in the case of the NC. My experience of Hondas would suggest it isn't performance or showroom appeal.

 

Call it a humble opinion but it simply feels the pricing of current Hondas is just a tad dear should we say. But that's my thoughts :ahappy:

Share this post


Link to post
KeithReeder
Just now, Ciaran1602 said:

However it doth sound like there's a haze between Honda making bikes 'people' want and bikes you want;

 

 

I think that Honda's success in the market place suggests that there an awful lot of "mes" out there, Ciaran!

 

;)

 

As I understand it, the NC750X has been constantly in the top ten for sales across Europe since its release, so Honda's doing something right: and given your point about them being possibly overpriced for what you get, it's not that they're flooding the market with cheap bikes. 

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602
9 minutes ago, KeithReeder said:

 

I think that Honda's success in the market place suggests that there an awful lot of "mes" out there, Ciaran!

 

;)

 

As I understand it, the NC750X has been constantly in the top ten for sales across Europe since its release, so Honda's doing something right: and given your point about them being possibly overpriced for what you get, it's not that they're flooding the market with cheap bikes. 

 

Which largely again supports the idea the DCT is a huge draw and again does nothing to negate my point :poke:;)

 

I suspect Honda's success is for three things; perceived (and largely backed up in fact!) build quality, a diverse range and DCT options. I'll give Honda their due they cover almost all basis for bike styles where most brands have a gap somewhere. And no can deny the DCT shifts maaaany bikes.

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
39 minutes ago, Ciaran1602 said:

It's great that Honda suit you and a great number of people.

 

However it doth sound like there's a haze between Honda making bikes 'people' want and bikes you want; I don't deny the DCT is a huge draw for Honda and it's a masterpiece in forward thinking for motorcycles but none of that changes that the comparative manual versions of a number of Hondas models are considerably more expensive than their competition.

 

The question then is why: superlative build quality? Perhaps but I would argue few bikes are really poorly made anymore. Styling? Perhaps. They've got a good general aesthetic design going on but thats very much subjective. Fuel economy? Very possibly, definitely in the case of the NC. My experience of Hondas would suggest it isn't performance or showroom appeal.

 

Call it a humble opinion but it simply feels the pricing of current Hondas is just a tad dear should we say. But that's my thoughts :ahappy:

Judging by the number of people who stay loyal to Honda they must be pleasing a lot of people. As to performance in today’s climate less people are using that as a main criteria when buying bikes. Obviously a lot of people are prepared to the prices Honda are asking.

Share this post


Link to post
Ciaran1602

That's a thought actually. Honda seem to be one of the few manufacturers that are gunning for things like fuel economy and practicality as a no 1. driver behind a number of their models rather than the odd one or two. The NC series obviously but the CBs are very economical, cheap to insure and fall under the magic 47hp marker etc. Even the VFR800s get pretty decent economy given the outputs. I suppose 0-60 is far less relevant in the real world than mpgs and shopping bag capacity.

 

I'm not trying to argue Honda are a bad brand, far from it. Jury is still out for me between Honda and Yamaha overall but I have some very rose tinted memories of Yams to fall on. And ultimately it's not really overpriced if people continue to buy! :ahappy:

Share this post


Link to post
Defender

I'd love an AT, with DCT of course, but it's a bit bigger than I would be comfortable with and I would prefer something a bit more road biased, or a bigger NC perhaps!

Re:- the CB1100, I like it , but cannot see it being much more desirable with DCT, it goes against the Retro label?

Also the Kawasaki Z900 appears to be a better bike, not just physically but on paper too?

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tex

The doesn’t need (and won’t get) DCT. Not sure it’s in direct competition with the Z900? I would love the 1100, it’s a brilliant, designed from the ground up homage to bikes like the CB400F and CB900F (that the designers were sent to the Honda museum to try first). The Kawi? Surely that’s just a modern bike with retro styling touches? 

 

I think the real competition for the 1100 is the T120 and BMW R9T. And it’s priced right.

 

I’m a big Honda fan anyway and I began the thread purely because the new Affy Twin seemed pricey at first look. But maybe not. What do I know? :) 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
suffolk58

Good points well made as usual.

I quite fancy a retro styled bike (as well as the NC for everyday use).

I love the EX version of the CB1100, and quite like the RS version.

The Thruxton looks magnificent (particularly the R version) but too new to be in my price range.

The R9Ts (in the many guises) look great too.

But maybe I'll wait until the Royal Enfield twins hit the market and see what they are like to own.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×