Tex

Is it only me?

Rev Ken
1 hour ago, Tex said:

One of my dad’s old sayings..

“Hang the expense, give the cat the goldfish”

”If he’s right (in the head) I know where there’s a houseful should be let out”

”His sort’s nowt a pound - and shit’s tuppence”.

And many more.. :D 

My dad had some sayings and wise thoughts. When I started to learn to ride his advice was (when I started to get over confident and was haring around the countryside) "Just imagine yourself coming the other way." A saying that some might need a translation was "Mickle in the heid maks muckle work for the feet". He was right!:cry:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rocker66
4 hours ago, Tex said:

One of my dad’s old sayings..

“Hang the expense, give the cat the goldfish”

”If he’s right (in the head) I know where there’s a houseful should be let out”

”His sort’s nowt a pound - and shit’s tuppence”.

And many more.. :D 

Do we assume your dad was a northerner?

• Haha 1

Tex
Just now, Rocker66 said:

Do we assume your dad was a northerner?

Yorkshireman. Born and bred. 

• Like 1

Rocker66
1 hour ago, Tex said:

It was the word nowt that gave it away.😀

• Like 1

KeithReeder
2 hours ago, Tex said:

So a Southerner, then..!

:ahappy: :ahappy: :ahappy:

• Haha 2

Fatbob

I would love a CB1100 fab bike, but way out of my price if keeping the NC (which I am doing) 

But fancy a small reliable back to basics bike with one of those clutch lever things, and I've come to the conclusion that the bike is a Yamaha SR400. There's one not 500 yards from my work place in Wigan Yamaha, a 15 plate with just over 2k on it for £3795

Anyone owned one of these?

Tex
59 minutes ago, Fatbob said:

I would love a CB1100 fab bike, but way out of my price if keeping the NC (which I am doing) 

But fancy a small reliable back to basics bike with one of those clutch lever things, and I've come to the conclusion that the bike is a Yamaha SR400. There's one not 500 yards from my work place in Wigan Yamaha, a 15 plate with just over 2k on it for £3795

I would like to! And a mint, low miler for that price is bloody tempting!

Oddly, last time I mentioned the SR on here Brian said he would rather have some cheap Chinese copy of a 30 year old Honda. I think his mum dropped him on his head when he was a baby. :D (I did that to one of my sons and he likes Triumphs FFS!).

Edit: What a little beauty!

https://www.wiganyamaha.co.uk/usedbikedetail.php?id=38087

Edited by Tex
Add link.
  • Like 1

pjm

The EX was an absolute pleasure to ride until my knee and hip gave up on the very cramped rising position. After 20 minutes I was in agony. The bike itself did everything perfectly. The clutch and gearbox were so slick that it was like flicking a small switch. Handling great, brakes great, looks fantastic. Just too cramped for me and that's how I ended up with an AT.

• Like 1

suffolk58
2 hours ago, Fatbob said:

Quick Peter, get down there with a wad of tenners before someone else grabs it.

He who hesitates is lost....ask me how I know.

• Haha 1

Fatbob
1 hour ago, pjm said:

The EX was an absolute pleasure to ride until my knee and hip gave up on the very cramped rising position. After 20 minutes I was in agony. The bike itself did everything perfectly. The clutch and gearbox were so slick that it was like flicking a small switch. Handling great, brakes great, looks fantastic. Just too cramped for me and that's how I ended up with an AT.

I'm only 5'9" but I must admit it does look a bit cramped, will try and get a test ride, they are quite a helpful dealership. It would only be for a sunny afternoon/evening bimble, I live in hope. 🙂

Mr Toad
1 hour ago, pjm said:

When I read this it took me a moment to realise that you were talking about a bike! :angel:

• Haha 2

Tex
28 minutes ago, Fatbob said:

I'm only 5'9" but I must admit it does look a bit cramped, will try and get a test ride, they are quite a helpful dealership. It would only be for a sunny afternoon/evening bimble, I live in hope. 🙂

Peter was talking about the footrest position in the Honda CB1100. Yes, the Yam is small (but perfectly formed) so try it first. :) 

slowboy
3 hours ago, Tex said:

I would like to! And a mint, low miler for that price is bloody tempting!

Oddly, last time I mentioned the SR on here Brian said he would rather have some cheap Chinese copy of a 30 year old Honda. I think his mum dropped him on his head when he was a baby. :D (I did that to one of my sons and he likes Triumphs FFS!).

Edit: What a little beauty!

https://www.wiganyamaha.co.uk/usedbikedetail.php?id=38087

And I thought you were nice. Don't make me add you to my ignore list......😁😂😂

anyway, you wanted a Jawa with a sidecar😳

Ner ner ne ner ner

as they say 

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1

Tex
9 minutes ago, slowboy said:

And I thought you were nice. Don't make me add you to my ignore list......😁😂😂

anyway, you wanted a Jawa with a sidecar😳

Ner ner ne ner ner

as they say 

Nice? Me? Not according to some.. :D 

Jawa? Nah! I’ve had a sleep since then and woke up cured.

• Haha 3

larryblag
Posted (edited)

I stood at the side of one (AT) last Saturday. Looked huge on it's centre stand. 

I need to be stretched on a medieval rack. Just for fun mind. :D

Edited by larryblag
  • Haha 1

Trev
On 2/14/2018 at 19:34, Tex said:

A yorkshireman colleague of mine introduced me to the phrase ' you can always tell a Yorkshireman .... but you can't tell him much' , very apt in his case!

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2