Jump to content
Tex

Is it only me?

Recommended Posts

Rev Ken
1 hour ago, Tex said:

 

One of my dad’s old sayings..

 

“Hang the expense, give the cat the goldfish”

 

”If he’s right (in the head) I know where there’s a houseful should be let out”

 

”His sort’s nowt a pound - and shit’s tuppence”.

 

And many more.. :D 

My dad had some sayings and wise thoughts. When I started to learn to ride his advice was (when I started to get over confident and was haring around the countryside) "Just imagine yourself coming the other way." A saying that some might need a translation was "Mickle in the heid maks muckle work for the feet". He was right!:cry:

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
4 hours ago, Tex said:

 

One of my dad’s old sayings..

 

“Hang the expense, give the cat the goldfish”

 

”If he’s right (in the head) I know where there’s a houseful should be let out”

 

”His sort’s nowt a pound - and shit’s tuppence”.

 

And many more.. :D 

Do we assume your dad was a northerner?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
Just now, Rocker66 said:

Do we assume your dad was a northerner?

 

Yorkshireman. Born and bred. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Rocker66
1 hour ago, Tex said:

 

Yorkshireman. Born and bred. 

It was the word nowt that gave it away.😀

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
KeithReeder
2 hours ago, Tex said:

 

Yorkshireman. Born and bred. 

 

So a Southerner, then..!

 

:ahappy: :ahappy: :ahappy:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Fatbob

I would love a CB1100 fab bike, but way out of my price if keeping the NC (which I am doing) 

But fancy a small reliable back to basics bike with one of those clutch lever things, and I've come to the conclusion that the bike is a Yamaha SR400. There's one not 500 yards from my work place in Wigan Yamaha, a 15 plate with just over 2k on it for £3795

Anyone owned one of these?

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
59 minutes ago, Fatbob said:

I would love a CB1100 fab bike, but way out of my price if keeping the NC (which I am doing) 

But fancy a small reliable back to basics bike with one of those clutch lever things, and I've come to the conclusion that the bike is a Yamaha SR400. There's one not 500 yards from my work place in Wigan Yamaha, a 15 plate with just over 2k on it for £3795

Anyone owned one of these?

 

I would like to! And a mint, low miler for that price is bloody tempting!

 

Oddly, last time I mentioned the SR on here Brian said he would rather have some cheap Chinese copy of a 30 year old Honda. I think his mum dropped him on his head when he was a baby. :D (I did that to one of my sons and he likes Triumphs FFS!).

 

Edit: What a little beauty!

 

https://www.wiganyamaha.co.uk/usedbikedetail.php?id=38087

Edited by Tex
Add link.
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
pjm

The EX was an absolute pleasure to ride until my knee and hip gave up on the very cramped rising position. After 20 minutes I was in agony. The bike itself did everything perfectly. The clutch and gearbox were so slick that it was like flicking a small switch. Handling great, brakes great, looks fantastic. Just too cramped for me and that's how I ended up with an AT.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
suffolk58
2 hours ago, Fatbob said:

I would love a CB1100 fab bike, but way out of my price if keeping the NC (which I am doing) 

But fancy a small reliable back to basics bike with one of those clutch lever things, and I've come to the conclusion that the bike is a Yamaha SR400. There's one not 500 yards from my work place in Wigan Yamaha, a 15 plate with just over 2k on it for £3795

Anyone owned one of these?

Quick Peter, get down there with a wad of tenners before someone else grabs it.

He who hesitates is lost....ask me how I know.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Fatbob
1 hour ago, pjm said:

The EX was an absolute pleasure to ride until my knee and hip gave up on the very cramped rising position. After 20 minutes I was in agony. The bike itself did everything perfectly. The clutch and gearbox were so slick that it was like flicking a small switch. Handling great, brakes great, looks fantastic. Just too cramped for me and that's how I ended up with an AT.

I'm only 5'9" but I must admit it does look a bit cramped, will try and get a test ride, they are quite a helpful dealership. It would only be for a sunny afternoon/evening bimble, I live in hope. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Mr Toad
1 hour ago, pjm said:

The EX was an absolute pleasure to ride until my knee and hip gave up on the very cramped rising position. After 20 minutes I was in agony. The bike itself did everything perfectly. The clutch and gearbox were so slick that it was like flicking a small switch. Handling great, brakes great, looks fantastic. Just too cramped for me and that's how I ended up with an AT.

 

When I read this it took me a moment to realise that you were talking about a bike! :angel:

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
28 minutes ago, Fatbob said:

I'm only 5'9" but I must admit it does look a bit cramped, will try and get a test ride, they are quite a helpful dealership. It would only be for a sunny afternoon/evening bimble, I live in hope. 🙂

 

Peter was talking about the footrest position in the Honda CB1100. Yes, the Yam is small (but perfectly formed) so try it first. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
slowboy
3 hours ago, Tex said:

 

I would like to! And a mint, low miler for that price is bloody tempting!

 

Oddly, last time I mentioned the SR on here Brian said he would rather have some cheap Chinese copy of a 30 year old Honda. I think his mum dropped him on his head when he was a baby. :D (I did that to one of my sons and he likes Triumphs FFS!).

 

Edit: What a little beauty!

 

https://www.wiganyamaha.co.uk/usedbikedetail.php?id=38087

 And I thought you were nice. Don't make me add you to my ignore list......😁😂😂

 

anyway, you wanted a Jawa with a sidecar😳

 

Ner ner ne ner ner

 

as they say 

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Tex
9 minutes ago, slowboy said:

 And I thought you were nice. Don't make me add you to my ignore list......😁😂😂

 

anyway, you wanted a Jawa with a sidecar😳

 

Ner ner ne ner ner

 

as they say 

 

Nice? Me? Not according to some.. :D 

 

Jawa? Nah! I’ve had a sleep since then and woke up cured.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
larryblag
Posted (edited)

I stood at the side of one (AT) last Saturday. Looked huge on it's centre stand. 

I need to be stretched on a medieval rack. Just for fun mind. :D

Edited by larryblag
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Trev
On 2/14/2018 at 19:34, Tex said:

 

Yorkshireman. Born and bred. 

 

A yorkshireman colleague of mine introduced me to the phrase ' you can always tell a Yorkshireman .... but you can't tell him much' , very apt in his case!

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×