Spindizzy

Tyre Pressures

Spindizzy

Brief summary. New SH300i, delivered with tyre pressures below manual spec, pumped them up all good then bike went in for a steering alignment adjustment which included a 'tyre pressure check' and returned to me with straight steering. I didn't re-check the tyre pressures on return but all good with the steering.

So 

Been riding a few days and the front didn't quite feel right, before going out today with SWMBO on the scoot for lunch I checked the pressures. Rear bang on, front 15 p.s.i down!!

Added air and the bike handling is transformed, precise steering, lovely balance and loving it. Now either the garage had a dodgy pressure gauge and adjusted it down from 33 to about 15 or I have a very slow leak on the front (will monitor)

So this post really is a "Check your Pressures folks". I had the same on my NCX when I hadn't used it for several weeks, got on it and it was tipping in to corners (9 p.s.i down).

Check your pressures, often. Its worth it

(Keeping an eye on my front px just in case I need to fix it or tell my dealer mechanic to throw his px gauge in the bin)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Tex

Sounds like you have a leak, matey. If they had used a faulty gauge then both tyres would be down. I’m quite keen to see how the new wheels and tyres on my Triumph hold up. The old (tubes fitted) ones never required any additional air. And I mean never. Maybe tubes aren’t the work of the devil after all? :) 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Spindizzy
15 minutes ago, Tex said:

Sounds like you have a leak, matey. If they had used a faulty gauge then both tyres would be down. I’m quite keen to see how the new wheels and tyres on my Triumph hold up. The old (tubes fitted) ones never required any additional air. And I mean never. Maybe tubes aren’t the work of the devil after all? :) 

Both were down on delivery. The front was down after they checked it at Hondas request and left it down?. More likely a leak as you say but will know for sure in a few days.

• Like 1

Defender

Reminds me that I need to check my NC's tyres tomorrow.

F.Honda750xd

I just recently bought a tyre pressure sensor. Two sensors front and rear send info to a small digital read out on the handlebars. Surprisingly enough it seems I've been riding around with only 28 psi on the rear. I'm glad I've bought it and totally agree with the last post always check your tyre pressure, regular. 

• Like 1

CFB

I had an issue with the front recently. It was losing pressure very slowly and would lose approx 5 psi over two weeks.

As you say, even a few psi down can affect the handling significantly.

I checked the tyre very carefully and could find nothing.

Eventually took the wheel to the dealer and he put it in the water tank.

There was the tiniest piece of steel wire deep in one of the tread blocks that would never have been found without the water.

• Like 1

Rev Ken

Some cast wheels are porous! I'm not sure but know that my CBF1000 always needed monitoring and after a few weeks needed a top up. (I had three or four sets of tyres so doubt they were all porous or leaking around the rims.)

• Like 1

outrunner

Perhaps I have a bit of OCD, but I check pressures before every ride.

Andy.

• Like 3

Steel Horse UK

Check the tyre pressures before every ride is best practice!

-Mark-

• Like 1

Spindizzy

I may not every ride but will check my bikes weekly from now on. 

DMB
9 hours ago, Rev Ken said:

Some cast wheels are porous! I'm not sure but know that my CBF1000 always needed monitoring and after a few weeks needed a top up. (I had three or four sets of tyres so doubt they were all porous or leaking around the rims.)

I recall that some Austin Allegros had porous wheels.  In the same way that the NC700 was reckoned to be 'half a Honda Jazz' would it be fair to assume that the CBF1000 was half an Austin Allegro?

• Grrr 1
  • Haha 2

Bigglesaircraft
7 hours ago, outrunner said:

Andy.

As I generally only ride once or twice a week I always check the pressures before going out.

• Like 1

Spindizzy
On ‎11‎/‎02‎/‎2018 at 18:55, Tex said:

Well it's been a week and the front is down  1psi. It's colder so assuming it's lost next to nothing. Maybe should tell matey at the dealers to bin his px gauge. 

Edited by Spindizzy

Tex
22 minutes ago, Spindizzy said:

Well it's been a week and the front is down  1psi. It's colder so assuming it's lost next to nothing. Maybe should tell matey at the dealers to bin his px gauge. 

Or learn how to use it? :D 

1 psi is probably lost every time you connect the gauge.

• Thanks 1

Dunnster

Check pressures every ride?! I'd be checking mine twice a day on commuting duties....., :frantics::blink::D ...., I did notice a change midweek once, so checked pressures, rear was down, so re-inflated and inspected the tyre, nothing untoward, checked again in the next day, pressure down again, re-inflated and inspected the tyre, still nothing suspect I could see. Took it to my tyre fitter who checked it and found a thin metal strand embedded, looked like a staple, which was only spotted on the inside of the tyre, removed and plugged/patched. 

I check mine once a week along with other general inspection checks. 

I had to use the car recently due to snow and ice, hadnt used it for 3 weeks or more, so checked tyre pressures and fluids the night before use, then whilst it was defrosting I went round checking all the lights were working. Amazes me the amount of cars on the road with bulbs out. 

• Like 2

CFB
5 hours ago, Dunnster said:

Check pressures every ride?! I'd be checking mine twice a day on commuting duties....., :frantics::blink::D ...., I did notice a change midweek once, so checked pressures, rear was down, so re-inflated and inspected the tyre, nothing untoward, checked again in the next day, pressure down again, re-inflated and inspected the tyre, still nothing suspect I could see. Took it to my tyre fitter who checked it and found a thin metal strand embedded, looked like a staple, which was only spotted on the inside of the tyre, removed and plugged/patched. 

Exactly the same as I had a few weeks ago. It took submerging the wheel in a water bath to find it.

• Like 1

Mikdent
On 12/02/2018 at 12:27, outrunner said:

Andy.

Im the same, but only ride once a week maximum.

If Ive checked them on a Saturday and go out on Sunday aswell, I won't check them on the Sunday.

By having the tyre pressures as a constant it eliminates them as a variable if something doesn't feel quite right.

But like you Andy, I'm a bit OCD. :frantics: