Which Oil Filter?

Spike

Hi

Looking to do a filter and oil change.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for the part number of an oil filter for a 2015 NC750s?

Also air filter would be appreciated.

Will probably be going for the Hi Flo?

Thanks

stephenmcg

Oil filter for all (most) Honda range is the same.

standardisation I presume.

it would be great if same for air filter. I have unused one for transalp 700

smcg

I just changed mine on a 750x - got the Honda filter - part 15010MCEH51 - about £13 and this is the combo part that includes both the Honda Filter and also the filter 'cup' tool to remove it (well worth it for simplicity and allowing you to Torque it back up with a torque wrench)

Thanks all for your replies.

Filter ordered from Wemoto...  useful site.

What is the "filter cup tool" though?

stephenmcg

It is like a giant socket. It fits over filter and allows you to unscrew it off. A useful tip if you do not have one is to fold a strip of sandpaper so it rough on both sides.

wrap this round filter, it will be rough against filter and also your hand. This will give sufficient grip to unscrew old filter off. Smcg in Glasgow

• Thanks 1
  • 2 months later...
Jeffprince

Aaaargh.......just been trying to remove the oil filter - damn thing won't budge. Typically, can't find the filter wrench (house move). Wrapped the filter in that non slip rubber material and got a strap wound round it ok, but still no movement, despite full strength. Have left it WD40'd for the night, to see if that will help. Don't want to go down the screwdriver through the filter route, just in case.

Any tips?

Filter cup tools are available at Amazon.....what size do I need? Might invest.

Edited by Jeffprince
Tex

Wrap a hose (jubilee) clip round the filter and tighten. Then you can tap the screw and knock it round (unscrew it).

If all else fails you can butcher it off by hammering a screwdriver through the filter and use that as a lever.

Oh, and don’t put it on so tight next time.. :) 

• Like 1
Jeffprince

Thanks Tex.......good thinking re the jubilee clip. Trouble with the screwdriver bodge is that there isn't much room to manoeuvre, despite removing the lower cowls. Don't want to take the risk of wrecking the filter and it still not turning. Can imagine banging the driver in and it simply ripping through the filter, rather than turning it.

Not  my tightening....bloody dealer did last service!

• Sigh 1
Dunnster

Same happened to me on my first out of warranty diy service, dealer mechanic must have had his spinach that day on installing it. My two different filter removal tools wouldn't shift it. The Honda filter cup wrench that came with the oil filter, which had a nut to fit a rachet ended up with the nut shearing off. This left the cup tool wedged onto the oil filter. Tried sandpaper, rubber gloves all to no avail. I lent some oil filter pliers which are like a big set of forceps/grips off a mate which griped and got it moving off in no time. Gave my pal a couple of beers on returning the tool to him. 

Try and beg, steal and borrow a few different filter removal tools, the screwdriver trick really is a last resort as I'm sure you know. 

Since I service the bike now and my cars, I've not needed to use any tools to remove the filters, only need about a quarter turn, hand tight once they touch the engine. 

Good luck with the removal  :goodluck:

Honda oil filter part number is 15410-MCJ-505

65mm diameter 14 flute filter cup size 

Edited by Dunnster
  • Thanks 1
trisaki

I use hollow oil filter 204 racing comes with a 17mm socket welded to it 

TheEnglishman

Drive an FBS (large screwdriver) through it sideways and turn.  Or a metal bar.   You're only throwing it away.  

And finger tip tight, with a smear of oil on the rubber seal, putting one on.  

Torque wrench?  Really?  What size socket do you buy and how much is it?  Rhetorically....

makman

K&N with the socket on it. Much easier to spin off. I do prefer these style and also follow the hand tighten and gentle 1/4 turn to seat it.  Having gorilla size hands does not make it easier though!

steelhorseuk

K&N204 for me and K&N air filter to match.

Put some decent motor oil in there. NC loves Castrol Power one racing oil! 

• Like 1

I use the Fram PH5317 oil filter from the 2008 Honda civic on my 700x, it's slightly longer but fits perfectly and costs about £5. Been using this type for years now, works perfectly.

Jeffprince

As mentioned on other threads, Honda do the filter and cup tool for only £3 more than the filter alone....bargain, as the cup tools are around £10+. Mine was simple to remove, once I had the tool. Didn't even need to remove the plastic cowl.

trisaki
On 03/05/2018 at 19:59, trisaki said:

I use hollow oil filter 204 racing comes with a 17mm socket welded to it 

Should read hiflow not hollow