Wavy Discs

Guest snowball

Guest snowball

Can anyone enlighten me as to the advantages or reasons for wavy discs over ordinary ones please, an old guy asked me when parked up and I couldn,t give him an answer. Thanks Dave...

poldark

They look pretty, but I think there's also claims that they dissipate heat better so less prone to brake fade, but I could be wrong!

Guest Blackbird

They supposedly clear water better as well although in this case, the design was to enable Honda to cut both front and rear discs from a single sheet of metal. The rear disc fits inside the front disc.

Guest martroy

As far as I'm aware, the wavy edges have no effect on the braking they're there just to look pretty , the holes in the disc are to clear the water. There might be a marginal weight loss by making the wavy but it's going to be pretty minimal on a single disc.

Guest Naana

My partner used to work at Harris Performance, and he says that it's "something to do with heat dissipation" but also says they sold loads mostly because they look pretty.

I like the cutting both discs from one sheet of metal, but surely you could do that with round ones too?

Edited by Naana
Guest martroy

Hi Blackbird, that's a really intersting article you've found, not just the bit about the philosophy behind the brake discs but the rest of the bike design. Some of it is pure manufacturers bu....it but there are some very interesting bits...well worth a read during these dark dreary days.

Guest Kagan

I just thought that should be related with heat transfer. it will be much better the disc has as much as surface .The wavy circumference is longer than round one.That is why the discs have lots of holes also

Rocker66

Actually drilled discs were first brought in to improve wet weather braking as early discs without holes were terrible in the wet. Believe me I used them. If I remember correctly drilled discs on production bikes were first introduced by BMW in the early 70s

Guest Kagan

you are right. I have checked the info that I've heard, it seems heat transfer is secondary improving point but for being wavy, I still think it is related with heat transfer. another point could be to have better friction by help of interrupted surface.