Ride by wire

Ashley

Hiya,

I know NOTHING about anything mechanical, and my hubby is not here to ask ...

I've been trying to find out if the Honda NC750 X (DCT) is ride by wire or not.  I've been googling for a bit and not found anything useful, and I'm nowhere near my owners manual to look it up. Can anyone tell me please?

From what I've read I don't think it is, but someone has just told me that it is definitely RBW, so now I'm totally confused. Help!

Slowboy

The NC range use conventional throttle cables, not ride by wire. Hope that helps

• Like 1

Brian (Slowboy) is quite right. But I’m slightly intrigued by why you need to know? Is it important, somehow? Or just a thirst for knowledge? :) 

poldark

Sorry but I thought the 2018 with the new traction control was now ride by wire.

The anomaly being that Honda didn't also add cruise control, which is a very useful feature and offered on many RBW bikes 

1 hour ago, Ashley said:

Hiya,

I know NOTHING about anything mechanical, and my hubby is not here to ask ...

I've been trying to find out if the Honda NC750 X (DCT) is ride by wire or not.  I've been googling for a bit and not found anything useful, and I'm nowhere near my owners manual to look it up. Can anyone tell me please?

From what I've read I don't think it is, but someone has just told me that it is definitely RBW, so now I'm totally confused. Help!

It should by easy to tell.

If it's conventional cable operated, there will be two curved metal tubes coming out of the bottom of the right switch gear.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, slowboy said:

The NC range use conventional throttle cables, not ride by wire. Hope that helps

Thanks so much.  It does indeed.  Can now go and tell a patronising know it all that he doesn't know it all. 

1 hour ago, poldark said:

Sorry but I thought the 2018 with the new traction control was now ride by wire.

The anomaly being that Honda didn't also add cruise control, which is a very useful feature and offered on many RBW bikes 

Mine is the 2017 model.

• Like 2
  • Haha 5
1 hour ago, Tex said:

Brian (Slowboy) is quite right. But I’m slightly intrigued by why you need to know? Is it important, somehow? Or just a thirst for knowledge? :) 

So I can go and tell a patronising know it all that he doesn't know it all. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, Ashley said:

So I can go and tell a patronising know it all that he doesn't know it all. 

Spot on! :D 

• Like 1

Thanks for your replies guys. 

How the topic came about was that I was saying that there is a bit of slack on the throttle which I need to adjust. Know it all said that was impossible 'cos it's ride by wire.  I disagreed, and he basically said that since I'm self-professed Luddite when it comes to mechanical things, I shouldn't disagree with him.  
He's a plonker at the best of times, and since he doesn't' actually ride any bike, let alone an NC, his attitude really pissed me off, so I needed ammunition.

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

Hit him with this - the press release describing the model in great detail. No mention of RBW..

https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/motorcycles/media/pressreleases/118746/2018-honda-nc750x

And your throttle cable adjuster is under a rubber sleeve adjacent to the twist grip.. 

• Thanks 2
PoppetM

I get that all the time from my non riding hubby. "Shouldn't wash it like that"...ummm soap, bucket...hose...eh?! Or if I am taking tools to it (rare)" you should do this"....  really?! From the man that flooded my Vespa spark plugs with the hose when washing it and on the NC hit the kill switch while cleaning it and drained my car battery in another episode.

He wont touch my bikes/cars anymore.

And he is an engineer!!

• Like 2
  • Sigh 2
  • Haha 3
3 hours ago, poldark said:

I wonder if you’re not getting it confused with the latest Affy Twin?

https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/motorcycles/media/pressreleases/118570/2018-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-adventure-sports

poldark
2 hours ago, Tex said:

I wonder if you’re not getting it confused with the latest Affy Twin?

https://hondanews.eu/eu/en/motorcycles/media/pressreleases/118570/2018-honda-crf1000l-africa-twin-adventure-sports

That'll be it, thanks for letting me down lightly, I knew I'd read something about it somewhere.

• Haha 1

Just to add to the rumpus , my crosstourer is rbw and retains a partial twin cable set up to the electricamy doo da  Under the tank ? .you can adjust out any throttle tube movement but it effects the ride quality. Jolting you up the road with every little bump . I seem to remember seeing a plus/minus figure of 5mm free play. 

Just be careful  adjusting your cable, there should be some slack to allow for cornering (check for a bit of slack with bars turned to full lock both sides)

One of the main reasons for me buying the NC was because it had a simple cable throttle, as I keep my bikes for many years, the simpler they are the better.

• Like 5

You've all missed one very important point.....

Women are ALWAYS RIGHT (even when they are wrong) :fear:

PS, hope my Wife doesn't see this.

Edited by Trumpet
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

But .. ride by wire  implies no cables between the throttle bodies and the twistgrip. There is however a throttle position sensor on the throttle bodies that feeds back into the ECU for fueling and this often confuses people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Graham NZ

Another reason to be careful not to reduce the initial freeplay below the recommended 3mm minimum because without freeplay the take-up on a DCT bike can be upset.

• Like 2
SteveThackery
6 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

Another reason to be careful not to reduce the initial freeplay below the recommended 3mm minimum because without freeplay the take-up on a DCT bike can be upset.

Hey, tell me more - I didn't know about this.  How does it affect the take-up?

"During the war " ! we only had one cable with a spring return  simple, !! ,   you lot will be talking about fuel injection on bikes one day.!!    :ahappy:

• Like 2
  • Sigh 1
  • Haha 1

Which war ? even a youngster like me can remember having a throttle "stick" due to a week return spring failing to close it, not funny. As for RBW I believe some bikes have a combination of short cables to the electronic controller,  no doubt somebody can clarify this ?

Yes, Rick, the system requires to know the throttle position at all times. Some cars have a TPS (throttle position sensor) on/close to the floor by the pedal. You gain a better (more traditional) ‘feel’ if you run a short cable from the pedal to the bulkhead and mount the TPS there. The pedal/cable has a return spring so that your foot ‘feels’ no difference to a conventional throttle.

I haven’t studied RBW on bikes (I suppose I should, as it’s on my Triumph) but I imagine the best way would be a cable to a TPS under the tank somewhere. You could build the sensor into the twist grip housing I suppose and have some other sort of return spring. 

The throttle on my Triumph feels absolutely conventional, nice and light and very smooth in operation. The fact that there’s no direct link between it and the fuel injection is of very little consequence (or interest) to me. :) 

Edited by Tex
11 hours ago, Trumpet said:

But .. ride by wire  implies no cables between the throttle bodies and the twistgrip. There is however a throttle position sensor on the throttle bodies that feeds back into the ECU for fueling and this often confuses people.

Yes, exactly. 

Graham NZ

Steve, I think it's so that the system knows that it now must be in first gear and the clutch not 'engaged'.

Bart Stilgo
52 minutes ago, Graham NZ said:

Steve, I think it's so that the system knows that it now must be in first gear and the clutch not 'engaged'.

I had an issue with mine.

Tried to take up the 'slack' but then it would select drive.  The tick over seemed to be at the normal speed.

So I had to live with the slack

Its not a problem just a learning thing

• Like 1