nelmo

Sub £100 trousers

nelmo

Any recommendations for textile trousers under £100? Not fussy about looks etc, just want them to be as waterproof as possible (can't stretch to Gore-Tex) and reasonable quality...

These look ok?

• Like 1

baben

Look ok to me. Frank Thomas used to be a respected name in bike gear though you do not hear much about it these days - they went bust at some point so presumably they are back in business.

fred_jb
1 hour ago, baben said:

Look ok to me. Frank Thomas used to be a respected name in bike gear though you do not hear much about it these days - they went bust at some point so presumably they are back in business.

I read some time ago that yes they did go bust, and the name was bought by J&S, which was how I came to buy a Frank Thomas leather jacket, and some Frank Thomas boots from J&S  - both items have been very good.

fred_jb
2 hours ago, nelmo said:

Any recommendations for textile trousers under £100? Not fussy about looks etc, just want them to be as waterproof as possible (can't stretch to Gore-Tex) and reasonable quality...

These look ok?

It's not clear if the thermal lining is removable which might be important if you want to use them all year round, though maybe not if your travels are limited to this country!

Tex

I think they’re worth a try. They’re a ‘best seller’ which would indicate that folks like ‘em. And, let’s be honest, you will pay ten times that for Rukka or Klim and they’re definitely not ten times as good.. :D 

pauloski

I just bought some oxford montreal textiles and I am quite happy with them. 

Gerrymac

Hi Neil, I like to go to my local J and s accessories store as there are loads of choices of good value clothing, I think there is one in your area...

J and S accessories New Malden, Surrey KT3 4NS, hope this helps

• Like 1

ScooterCommuter

When I was looking for some extra  pairs of cheap trousers for commuting, I bought some Texpeed ones from Amazon. They were about £40 and fit really well. Probably comfier than my alpinestars ones and they've got a full length zip so easy to get on and off. 

Now the not so helpful bit - mine turned out not to be very waterproof! However, the reviews seemed to really rate them as waterproof trousers and when I contacted the seller they seemed very surprised and were happy to refund or swap them in case mine were faulty (despite it being a few months as I hadn't been caught in the rain in them sooner). Life got in the way though and I forgot to return them, but £40 for a back up pair isn't too bad and I do get the impression I may have just got a duff pair. 

• Like 1

Mr Toad

I'm looking for a pair of lighter weight summer trousers.

I have a pair of very nice IXS Gore-Tex trousers but even with the thermal liners removed they are too warm in the summer, more a three season trouser. I do have a pair of armoured jeans but I'd love a pair of summer weight textile trousers if anyone has recommendations I'd love to hear them.

Wedgepilot

I've also got the Texspeed ones from Amazon, they're fine as a cheap commuter trouser. They come with a removable lining and hip and knee armour and are easy to get on and off. 

Tex
44 minutes ago, Mr Toad said:

I'm looking for a pair of lighter weight summer trousers.

I have a pair of very nice IXS Gore-Tex trousers but even with the thermal liners removed they are too warm in the summer, more a three season trouser. I do have a pair of armoured jeans but I'd love a pair of summer weight textile trousers if anyone has recommendations I'd love to hear them.

A familiar enough problem. The trouble comes (I find) in balancing crash protection and weight. I have some ‘TOTR’ Dragging Jeans that I brought back from Australia. Every inch is lined with Kevlar and they have D30 armour. Wonderfully protective, very comfy to wear and as hot and heavy as hell.. :( 

I know that a good dose of gravel rash or a badly broken leg would be a ‘game changer’ for me, so I tend to just suck it up. Klim do some very nice ‘hot weather’ stuff (despite my reservations with them as a brand) but it’s bloody ‘spendy’ for a low mileage guy like me.

• Thanks 1

nelmo
11 hours ago, Gerrymac said:

Hi Neil, I like to go to my local J and s accessories store as there are loads of choices of good value clothing, I think there is one in your area...

J and S accessories New Malden, Surrey KT3 4NS, hope this helps

Yup, got my last pair from there - problem is, despite being a 'superstore', they rarely have every size in every brand so the last time, I was limited to a choice of 2, neither of which I liked! I've had to 'suffer' with them for the last 5 years :ahappy:

I'll check out the Texspeed ones (is that a sideline for  you, Tex? :D)

• Haha 1

nelmo
13 hours ago, fred_jb said:

It's not clear if the thermal lining is removable which might be important if you want to use them all year round, though maybe not if your travels are limited to this country!

Oooh, well spotted that man...I think the fact they don't say 'removable' means they're not (they always like to mention every possible feature in these ads)...looks like I'll have to find some time to get to the shop...

Mr Toad
25 minutes ago, nelmo said:

Oooh, well spotted that man...I think the fact they don't say 'removable' means they're not (they always like to mention every possible feature in these ads)...looks like I'll have to find some time to get to the shop...

That could be because the liner is what makes them waterproof as well as thermal.

There's a review of them on YouTube  and they do say they're a three season trouser, too warm in the summer.

lipsee

I bought a pair of Hood jeans ,,not water proof of course,,, and really only good in spring/autum/winter...but very comfortable.... Just thinking a couple of years ago I bought off amerzon a pair of pants ,suppose to be waterprooof,with a liner,(all the bells and whistles) for about £40,,  they turned out tobe complete pants,,,very uncomfortable,,too hot and sweaty without the liner,so much so I cannot wear and they are in the bottom of my cupboard...buyer beware

Mr Toad
52 minutes ago, Tex said:

A familiar enough problem. The trouble comes (I find) in balancing crash protection and weight. I have some ‘TOTR’ Dragging Jeans that I brought back from Australia. Every inch is lined with Kevlar and they have D30 armour. Wonderfully protective, very comfy to wear and as hot and heavy as hell.. :( 

I know that a good dose of gravel rash or a badly broken leg would be a ‘game changer’ for me, so I tend to just suck it up. Klim do some very nice ‘hot weather’ stuff (despite my reservations with them as a brand) but it’s bloody ‘spendy’ for a low mileage guy like me.

Simon, you may well come up with the answer. Just done a search for Klim summer trousers and found these.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/286972

At £148 they're not too bad although that doesn't include armour, that said I would hope the armour from my IXS trousers will fit. Cheaper would be better but definitely food for thought. 

• Like 1

Tex

Cool (fnar fnar) let us know how you get on. :) 

• Like 1

nelmo
57 minutes ago, lipsee said:

Just thinking a couple of years ago I bought off amerzon a pair of pants ,suppose to be waterprooof,with a liner,(all the bells and whistles) for about £40,,  they turned out tobe complete pants,,,very uncomfortable,,too hot and sweaty without the liner,so much so I cannot wear and they are in the bottom of my cupboard...buyer beware

Darn, I've just ordered some from Amazon - ok, let's see how it goes...:cry:

steve-a

I have a pair of Hein Gericke Bulson textile trousers that I purchased a while ago, they are xxl as I wear them over jeans etc, but they are too long for me,, only worn once so as new, pm me if interested.

rainmaker

Around a month ago I got Lindstrands Taal trousers reduced to £115 as they were last season style (in grey+black graphics).  Full adjustable armor, very well made (as everything from Jofama) and featuring their Hi-Art reinforcement for safety. They have removable rain and wind proof lining so can be very light for dry summer days. Excellent pants and still available from some retailers at that price. Just google them. 

Edited by rainmaker

White Skark

I you want good cheap Textiles try "Biker Gear" they are Australian with a Shop in Wales, I have a couple of there jackets, just bought a pair of there trousers £57 inc post next day. They are waterproof and have a removable warm liner and Knee and hip armour, the quality is really good and very well made.

nelmo

Well, as an update, I can heartily NOT recommend these trousers - bought them in Feb and a few weeks ago, a large rip appeared in the main seam:

gYElIlTvs2pLt0ylKHvHunX9ohJu28YRfjOcxPaZ

I haven't come off in them or caught them on anything, so not sure why this happened and maybe a one-off as there are lots of good reviews from others. There is another, smaller rip on one of the pockets (which I never use).

A shame really because these trousers are actually pretty good otherwise, especially their waterproof ability. I've only been out in moderate rain but nothing has got through - much better than my (old) Gore-Tex trousers.

Well, it was an experiment but a failed one - I'll take my old pair to have the zip repaired. :ermm:

Mr Toad

I had exactly this with one of my IXS jackets. 

When I looked at it the reason for the failure was obvious, when stitching the panel the machine had gone too close to the edge of the material and it had come apart. When I returned it they said the same thing adding that these days they leave very little spare material when they cut the panels and if the seam isn't perfect this can happen. 

J&S sent my jacket for repair and it was back in a week all sorted. They had removed the faulty panel and replaced it with a new one.

If you bought them from Amazon then you should contact them about it, I find Amazon to be great at sorting stuff out even the cheaper stuff.