Honda 700 - DCT Gear Box Issue - Shifter Pin Issue

makman

I hope people don't mind.  I've decided to put this into one post, issue and resolution so that it is not swallowed up in the pages of the other threads.

My 2013 NC700X DCT with less than 21K Miles had issues with the DCT gearbox.

If I came to a standstill at traffic lights or yield junctions, it would display the dreaded [--] instead of [D] or

This resulted in the bike being stuck in 1st Gear and not being able to change up or back into [N].  

If you toggled the gear switch to try and select [N] or [S/D] it would also then display [--].  This was the same for using Auto/Manual selector.

This was happened regardless if I was in Auto or Manual mode, D or S modes.  It only got stuck in a higher gear once and turning the bike off would mean it had to shift down into N at a standstill after turning off and on again.

Turning the bike off and on again would solve the issue and it would drop into [N] and then allow me to select gear again.

No engine management light showing and no errors on the ECU.  

This is because it was a mechanical issue - The Shifter Pin in the gearbox broke.  This is true of the Integra 700 DCT model as well.  This is the result apparently of a batch of faulty welded pins that were fitted to earlier models of the 700 DCT range.  This does not affect the NC750 range as they had a different model pin fitted (that is the new replacement shifter pin that I have just had fitted to my bike).

The replacement part is PIN, SHIFTER  24315-HA0-000 from Fowlers or David Silver Spares. Less than £10 before delivery.

You can see the the part in relation to the below pictogram: Part No 6.

HTTPS://WWW.FOWLERSPARTS.CO.UK/PARTS/VIEW/24315-HA0-000

I managed to get mine repaired by a mechanic near Anerley Railway Station for £155, diagnosis, materials, part and labour.  It is 1/2 day work for him.  

Dave Wilkins Motorcycle - search for him on Facebook.

Edited by makman
Superscript issue.

This resulted in the bike being stuck in 1st Gear and not being able to change up or back into [N].  

If you toggled the gear switch to try and select [N] or [S/D] it would also then display [--].  This was the same for using Auto/Manual selector.

This was happened regardless if I was in Auto or Manual mode, D or S modes.  It only got stuck in a higher gear once and turning the bike off would mean it had to shift down into N at a standstill after turning off and on again.

Turning the bike off and on again would solve the issue and it would drop into [N] and then allow me to select gear again.

This is because it was a mechanical issue - The Shifter Pin in the gearbox broke.  This is true of the Integra 700 DCT model as well.  This is the result apparently of a batch of faulty welded pins that were fitted to earlier models of the 700 DCT range.  This does not affect the NC750 range as they had a different model pin fitted (that is the new replacement shifter pin that I have just had fitted to my bike).

The replacement part is PIN, SHIFTER  24315-HA0-000 from Fowlers or David Silver Spares. Less than £10 before delivery.

I managed to get mine repaired by a mechanic near Anerley Railway Station for £155, diagnosis, materials, part and labour.  It is 1/2 day work for him.  

Could not edit the superscript issue.  Really annoying.

• Like 4
Defender
21 hours ago, makman said:

Could not edit the superscript issue.  Really annoying.

Thanks for reporting back on this issue, sounds like a fair price for the fix. 

I will be keeping my fingers crossed with my 2012 DCT, but we now have solution and a price :ahappy:

• Like 1

Broken Shifter pin below.  You can see the small surface area of the spot weld.   Collected bike, runs as smooth as ever and no issues now.

y4m5yoUli726-oSL_aW_OxYklJVr2ivghVxVbE_N

• Like 1
outrunner

Glad you got it sorted, at a decent price too.

Andy.

embee

Can't see clearly from the photo, but it looks like a typical brittle fatigue fracture to me. I suspect the assumed weld (probably a friction weld or possibly resistance weld) hasn't penetrated sufficiently or has been chilled too rapidly, the resulting fillet radius is too sharp, and perhaps the plating has caused some hydrogen embrittlement. All of these would add up to a bad design for fatigue.

You can often see concentric ridges or rings (beachmarks) as the crack propagates from the outside diameter inwards, and when it reaches a point where there is insufficient material left to withstand the stress you get a brittle fracture in one go, which often has peaks/pits due to the final catastrophic failure.

This is a typical appearance

Fatigue-fracture-surface-of-the-propeller-shaft-in-the-cross-section-A-A-1-zone-of-f.png.d6b16b66ae8c5f93a090b1082393e676.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Science in this too!  I am just very glad to have it sorted. The mechanic was saying that he basically services a Honda NC derivative every week as they are very popular with commuters.  I whizzed past a nice  NC750 16 plate this morning in traffic.  Just so glad that the gearbox is back to the smooth changes and no issues behaviour.  What a joy!

PS. the walk from the train station to the workshop is less than 10 minutes, so very convenient. He opens at 8am and closes 5pm, sometimes later if the other mechanic is working late.  My brother is taking his newly acquired TDM850 (1997 model) there for a service as well.

• Like 1
Guest machinman

If anyones remotely interested, my local dealer has a VFR12 DCT in bits as it wont go from 2nd to 3rd.

Honda saying suspected selector forks.

If i get to know the outcome il post here.

Lads in the workshop, never had a DCT apart for mechanical failure to date.

• 2 months later...
Guest machinman
On 07/03/2018 at 08:54, machinman said:

If anyones remotely interested, my local dealer has a VFR12 DCT in bits as it wont go from 2nd to 3rd.

Honda saying suspected selector forks.

If i get to know the outcome il post here.

Lads in the workshop, never had a DCT apart for mechanical failure to date.

Update on this is no mechanical problem could be found. The customer complained of a delay between 2nd and 3rd.

The diagnosis is a control module which is still on order

• 3 weeks later...
kayz1

We have been looking into Steves DCT today, same as...no mechanical problem  found. , we did find the neutral switch to be intermittent

in operation. I will get/order one tomorrow.

Lyn.

Edited by kayz1
  • 1 year later...
Guest uzi22

Help pls! My issue is completely different, I  forgot to remove the disk lock and now the abs light stays on, and the bike won’t shift anymore. Not sure if the two things are connected. The bike enter in gear if I press D and gets back to neutral. I have tried to do the clutch reset but still nothing, it doesn’t change gear, only from neutral to 1 and back to neutral...what could it be?

Defender
6 minutes ago, uzi22 said:

Help pls! My issue is completely different, I  forgot to remove the disk lock and now the abs light stays on, and the bike won’t shift anymore. Not sure if the two things are connected. The bike enter in gear if I press D and gets back to neutral. I have tried to do the clutch reset but still nothing, it doesn’t change gear, only from neutral to 1 and back to neutral...what could it be?

Ooops, not quite sure why that would be, was the disc lock on the front or rear wheel?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while to see if that will reset the ECU's etc?

Guest uzi22
3 minutes ago, Defender said:

Ooops, not quite sure why that would be, was the disc lock on the front or rear wheel?

Have you tried disconnecting the battery for a while to see if that will reset the ECU's etc?

It was the front, and now I have just noticed I have smashed the brake calliper too 😭

embee

OK, the caliper is dead then. If it's taken the ABS pick-up mounting with it, then that's going to be why the ABS light is on, and the DCT won't play ball if the ABS isn't happy.

Otherwise, the ABS light and DCT issue will very likely be because the ABS pole wheel (slotted disc) is bent. If the bend is slight then they can usually be straightened successfully, if it's mangled then replacement will be necessary. The run-out needs to be significantly less than one mm (I can't recall the exact tolerance but it's in this ballpark) to have any chance of the ABS system recognising the signal as satisfactory. Several folk have had such issues due to parking knocks.

Edited by embee
Guest uzi22

Thanks, I believe this must be the case since no engine warning light on nor any flashing from the gear indicator. It must be a safety feature which in my case worked extremely well. I hadn’t noticed about the calliper. Hopefully after replacing the subframe everything should go back as it was. 

09FD8EFA-7BB6-4297-B089-1B91CC57D555.jpeg

Edited by uzi22
kayz1

That should fix it, new caliper mount and all should be back into place..

embee

You'll be best to source a second-hand caliper assy if you can, I'd suggest keeping your caliper if it is in good condition and swapping the carrier. You really don't want to know how much Honda want for that carrier ………………….

https://nutjob.ie/honda-genuine-parts/?Year=2012&Model=NC700D&Bike=NC700DC&Bike section=Front Brake Caliper&page=1&limit=50&sort=featured

Note that not all NC700 bikes had ABS, so you need one which did. The caliper is common on all NC700 ABS variants (S,X,D) but is not the same on the NC750. From looking at an NC750 item on the auction site it looks like the carrier is definitely different (the 750 has a 2-pot caliper).

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/honda-motorcycle/assignment_spare_parts/45290MGSD81 

• 11 months later...
Babeneba

I had the same issue with the pin shifter on my 2012 NC700SD. Thanks to this forum, it was fixed within a few hours with the pre-ordered part. I do not think it would have been such a smooth issue had you not explained your fix so precisely.

I appreciate the help.,

• Like 1
makman
5 minutes ago, Babeneba said:

I had the same issue with the pin shifter on my 2012 NC700SD. Thanks to this forum, it was fixed within a few hours with the pre-ordered part. I do not think it would have been such a smooth issue had you not explained your fix so precisely.

I appreciate the help.,

Glad this thread helped.  It is good to get information down and to make sure it is relevant.  Another bike back on the road running smoothly is always good news!

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...
davebike

Oh  nice to see Mark on here Yes it was me that changed the pin  5/6 th I have done !  And not I gone a bought a NC 750X with dct myself !

• 5 months later...

Boing! Thought i'd bounce this thread rather than start a new one.

I'm trying to find out more info on this shifter pin issue now i have a NC700X. I can't seem to find out what bikes this was limited to? Is there a known faulty batch between certain chassis numbers, or does it seem to be random? Is it case of not if, but when, for all 700s? Or if you get past a certain mileage, you're not going to have the issue?

• Like 1
Slowboy
9 hours ago, Taipan said:

Boing! Thought i'd bounce this thread rather than start a new one.

I'm trying to find out more info on this shifter pin issue now i have a NC700X. I can't seem to find out what bikes this was limited to? Is there a known faulty batch between certain chassis numbers, or does it seem to be random? Is it case of not if, but when, for all 700s? Or if you get past a certain mileage, you're not going to have the issue?

DCT Gearboxes only. Seems to have been a NC700 issue, does not affect 750’s from memory the replacement part is improved and seems not to have an issue.

• Like 1

I have seen a 750 with a broken pin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
45 minutes ago, davebike said:

I have seen a 750 with a broken pin

What was the mileage Dave and was it a commuter bike i.e. lots of gear changes?

• Like 1