Cast or Spoked Wheels.

alhendo1

Andy m

I bet they could bond a tube inside a tyre. Keep the cheap fashion rims but let you use a plug to fix punctures  🤔

Won't happen,  the market is too small to support the testing and development costs.

Andy

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tex

• Tonyj

• Rev Ken

• Andy m

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just changed the tyres on the CRF250, they have to be tubed whatever (no beads). At least it was easy to do at home. Good to know I'm still cool after all these years😎 And the C90's got spok

Off road a spoked wheel can withstand damage better than a cast one - they also can carry tubed tyres which are better off road - if you dint the rim you will not lose pressure. I think they are light

When the Africa Twin came out, I so wanted one, but just had the "minor" problem of approaching the wife, to agree to me taking the money out of the savings account. A few weeks later, I had to g

gonzo
18 hours ago, stephenmcg said:

Mark, a centre stand could allow you to take off back wheel. You would need to carry an axle stand, or have plenty of top box ballast to remove front wheel.

you would need better tools than in bike toolkit to get wheels off.

then you would need a few tyre levers to get tyre off rim.

you would save effort by carrying a spare tube rather than fixing puncture.

when I had transalp, there was lots of talk on all the kit some carried.

some had a section of upvc pipe with end caps fixed to bike.

all this assumes you do not get a puncture at speed and stop in one piece.

i was very lucky with my episode, I will not be wanting to experience it again.

we all take risks by riding bikes, this additional one is not for me.

smcg in Glasgow 

You can buy DISPATCH RIDERS  DOCUMENT CANISTERS  in black and cabled tied to the rack or frame, Had one on my tranny, it was useful for tools and rag etc.

Slowboy

Risk, what is it good for? Let me try to explain

1. highest risk factor of death - you're alive, you will be dead, it's a 100% certainty💀

2. As a subset of 1, we ride motorbikes. Arguably a higher risk of death than other transport users.

3. As a subset of 1 & 2, a number of us have had/will have an incident

4. As a subset of 1,2 & 3 a number had/will have that incident on tubed tyres.

5. As a subset of 1,2,3 & 4, a number have had/will have a tyre related incident.

6. As a subset of 1,2,3,4 & 5, a number have been/will be injured as a result.

7. As a subset of 1,2,3,4,5, & 6, a number have been/will be seriously injured.

8. As a subset of 1,2,3,4,5,6 & 7, a number have had/will have a fatal incident.

The actual risk of 6, 7 or 8 is small, although I don't have numbers for it, I suspect they are very small indeed. As a gross simplification, let's for argument assume each subset is 10% of the one before, the risk as a percent  is;

1. 100% - everyone who is alive dies, sorry to bring the bad news

2. 10% have the risk of an incident

3. 1% have the risk of a tyre related incident

4. 0.1% have a tubed tyre

5. 0.01% have the risk of a tubed tyre related incident

6. 0.001% have the risk of a tubed tyre related injury

7. 0.0001% have the risk of a tubed tyre related serious injury

8. 0.00001% have the risk of a tubed tyre related fatal incident.

The consequences of 7 or 8 is high, but the risks are very small, there are other far greater risks in life that.

Yes, as part of the full picture it's part of our informed choice. You ride a motorcycle, your already take a higher risk than many, most of us will be injured or killed by something else other than a tubed tyre on a motorcycle. (The majority of us age and health related like the non-riding population)

Don't lose sleep over it, enjoy riding your bike. When it all flashes before you at the end, you wouldn't want to be bored now, would you?😇

What was that bang.........👻

Edited by slowboy
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

I don’t remember my old dad ever getting a puncture on his C70 (and I would remember because it would have been me who had to deal with it.. :) ) and I rode tens of thousands of trouble free miles on various bikes fitted with tubes without a care in the world. I’m certainly not claiming anyone is going to die. It’s personal choice. I can’t be bothered with tubes. In the same way I can’t be bothered with carburettors and contact breaker points - so ‘last century’ darling. The world has moved on. 

But those of you who enjoy that stuff, cool. Enjoy. I celebrate your freedom of choice. :) 

• Like 3
Tonyj

Brian . Regrettably from point one . You are overlooking the fact that what is life and do we really die ? ........... You just broke a bazillion Hindu's and buddist's understanding of reincarnation 😀😀.

never mind the question what are we really here for . 😀 

Spindizzy

Seems anything that relies on filling a bag with air to go round and round is backward in these modern times with ball point pens and pot noodles.

Some interesting designs out there, not there yet but surely stretched out bits of leaky tree gum in a tube shape is not very Jetson. Already in use on heavy plant. Probably too pricey and also cant stop yoofs with a stinger if no air.

• Like 1
Andy m

They've been demoing those since they gave up on jet-packs and hovercraft! 😆

Andy

Slowboy
2 hours ago, Tonyj said:

Brian . Regrettably from point one . You are overlooking the fact that what is life and do we really die ? ........... You just broke a bazillion Hindu's and buddist's understanding of reincarnation 😀😀.

never mind the question what are we really here for . 😀 

Tony, I respect people's religious beliefs, whatever they may be. No intention to offend there.

Maybe we can both wear I told you so badges, and when we're stood in front of whoever, one of us will be right😁

As my dear old old dad said the day before he passed away "It must be bloody good where I'm going son, I've sent a lot of miserable b*ggers there before me (he was ex SF) and none of them came back to complain."

As to what were here for, I believe the choice is ours.🤔

Edited by slowboy
Edited for thinking and spelling
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Tonyj

Didn't find it offensive in any way shape or form brian , just made me chuckle. Try watching the Ricky gervis humanity tour , bit in it about chocolate and dogs springs to mind . 

• Haha 1