Sign in to follow this  
bazza

new season - really good trousers -suggestions!

bazza

Like most I have had the lot -from leather two piece suits to textile.

being somewhat barrel shaped the usual trousers have a waist that isn't anything like mine and the result is belt that doesn't work.Yes I can use braces but want a better solution.

Gear makers get around this by having the jacket zip to the trews -but that's only ok when on the bike and you have taken the wet top off to eat, drink or be more comfortable.

So I like the salopette style -or bib and brace so in fashion in the 70's by my Greenham Common visiting wife ( I promised NOT to bail her out if grabbed by the "fuzz")

Younger readers may like the visit the less frequented upper 150 channels of Freeview to see the "Waltons" showing off these fashion pants !

So with the trews not having to be restrained by a belt and the high front stopping draughts and rain from getting in, these are what I want to buy.The old leather ones are still useful but need over trousers to keep out the rain. Does anyone make a suitable pair under say £400 ?

I have toyed with Rukka as, if forced,  I can find the money - but as a summer rider the amount of use makes the purchase into the luxury category. My present 2 piecesuit - a Halvasson (or something like that)- is getting long in the tooth and despite re-waterproofing always seems soaked through when i get off.

Use - on road thanks - mud and sand riding is for horses or camels!

all suggestions appreciated - except body reshaping !

bazza

• Haha 2

elbee

Braces are ace. When I pop over on the bike to visit my two young grandsons, how else would they greet me other than to pull my braces like a bow and arrow then let go?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Tex
Posted (edited)

Salopettes are, sadly, unfashionable these days Baz. A shame, because they’re brilliant. I think Halvarsons might do something, I’ll see if I can find out..

Edit: J&S sell these which zip on to ‘normal’ Frank Thomas trousers and convert them into  salopettes. Might be worth a look?

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/Frank-Thomas-FTW357-Kinetik-Bib-&-Brace/13687.htm

Add a pair of these..

https://www.jsaccessories.co.uk/buy/Frank-Thomas-Navigator-Pants/26742.htm

Bingo! :D 

Edited by Tex
Added links.
  • Like 1

bazza

thanks Tex will look into it. Always been a bit snobby about Frank Thomas stuff -sure its fine but a bit mass market? i got my original salopettes from J&S when they had a shop in Newbury- note they are not far from me in Northwich so will have a mooch!

Tonyj

Seem to remember moto legends catalogue showing a pair of salopett

• Like 1

makman

Halvarssons and Held both do Salopettes. I've got both at home.  My Held ones are gore tex, so aces for all weather riding.  Really rate them.  They are warm and cosy even in this recently bitter weather.  Dry too in torrential downpours as well.  

• Like 1

makman

BTW an inexpensive solution much like couriers do is to simply get goretex overtrousers from RAF/Army stores etc.  That evil auction site has decent ones from RAF 262163139513 is the item number. Good range of sizes, always go a couple of sizes larger than your armoured jeans and budget for good strong braces!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

bornagain
Posted (edited)

@bazza

I see this thread is old now - but I'd shout out for the Oxford trousers.

I have a pair of the Oxford Ranger 2.0 Textile Trousers. I've had these for two years, daily commuting + IAM riding, all weathers, I'd guess at 20K + miles. They have built in braces with a good sized back panel and zip out liners. I don't bother zipping the jacket to the trousers although I could. I only bother with over-trousers in biblical downpours - on many occasions the outers are pretty wet, but I'm fine on the inside.

They are now starting to get a bit thin around the inside of the ankles and  seat so need replacing ...

Just today I have taken delivery of a pair of Oxford Montreal 2.0 trousers. I went for these as they are available in a long leg size :)  (Available in short also, my wife has a pair!) These come with braces, zip out liner and a webbing belt.The leg on these is more tapered and "fitted" than the straight leg of the Rangers. If they give me the same service, I'll be more than satisfied.

FWIW - these are reasonably priced and I have no connection with Oxford except for being a happy repeat customer.

@Tex - I was at J&S a couple of weeks ago and asked for sallopette styles for my better half. The assistant insisted the term was dungarees, just made me chuckle :dielaugh: as I had visions in denim!

Regards,

ride safe.

Edited by bornagain
Emoticons
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

lipsee

I ordered from Sportsbike shop a pair of Spidi Mesh Leg Pants...reduced to about £94...When I got the bleeders,,there was not fly!!!! and you had to open via the sides ( where your hips are) Well what a load of rubbish,,, I do,nt live far from Sportsbike so took straight back...Turns out they are an mesh over trouser!!! why would you want to have a mesh over trouser...Daft idea if you ask me,,,so still looking,,,  Rev it stuff looks good,,, but its £150...and I,m sint,,, (any donations gratefully received..) 

Black Marauder

Braces for my "physique" & as for leather trousers absolutely..........NO CHANCE !!!!!!!!!!

Tex
On 22/04/2018 at 19:56, lipsee said:

I ordered from Sportsbike shop a pair of Spidi Mesh Leg Pants...reduced to about £94...When I got the bleeders,,there was not fly!!!! and you had to open via the sides ( where your hips are) Well what a load of rubbish,,, I do,nt live far from Sportsbike so took straight back...Turns out they are an mesh over trouser!!! why would you want to have a mesh over trouser...Daft idea if you ask me,,,so still looking,,,  Rev it stuff looks good,,, but its £150...and I,m sint,,, (any donations gratefully received..) 

Just seen this: A mesh over trouser? :D I must add those to the list of things I never thought would be invented.. 

• Haha 1

makman
47 minutes ago, Tex said:

Just seen this: A mesh over trouser? :D I must add those to the list of things I never thought would be invented.. 

Better than chaps surely!!!!  Ooor eerrr sir!

• Sigh 1
  • Haha 1