Battery reconnection problem

Guest Jkf78

Guest Jkf78

I have an NC750s, bought new last March and I disconnected the battery to trickle charge over winter. I have reconnected it today yet all the display lights and head lights are staying on (there is no key in the ignition). I have followed the manual, connected the positive first then negative and connected the fuse wire to the positive terminal.

Any suggestions please 

SteveThackery

How odd.  What happens if you put the key in and move the ignition switch back and forth between its positions?  Will the engine start?

Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, Jkf78 said:

I have an NC750s, bought new last March and I disconnected the battery to trickle charge over winter. I have reconnected it today yet all the display lights and head lights are staying on (there is no key in the ignition). I have followed the manual, connected the positive first then negative and connected the fuse wire to the positive terminal.

Any suggestions please 

Which is the fuse wire you are referring to my manual only mentions 2 cables negative and positive?  I must admit I have had no reason to disconnect my battery so I might be talking a load of. 

Interesting.  Embee will sort it😊

Guest Funkycowie

No fuse wire should be attached, only the positive and then negative. I recently took mine out to charge (although didn't need to because it had held its charge) and there were no other cables.

Guest Jkf78

The bike starts fine and stops, just all lights remain on. There is an extra wire in there which we are convinced we took off when disconnecting, I even wrote in the manual that it came off the positive terminal so we put it back right. Will try without the extra wire though.

SteveThackery

Oh, wait, I should have read this more carefully.  If there is a "fuse wire" then it has had some additional wiring fitted.  This makes it a bit more tricky.

SteveThackery

I suspect that wire was connected to a "comes on with the ignition" point in the wiring, in order to provide a switched feed for ancillary equipment.  If you connect that to the battery, then all of the "comes on with the ignition" stuff will be permanently on.

Disconnect the wire.  I think that will sort it out.  Make sure you insulate it and tuck it away safely.

• Like 3
embee

I think Steve has it there.

If the "fuse wire" goes to a relay which should be switched on by the ignition to supply power to ancillaries, it may be that the relay has stuck in the on position or it is wired incorrectly (power take off goes to the normally closed instead of the normally open terminal for example). Sounds like something along those lines anyway.

• Like 1
Guest Jkf78

Thanks for the replies, I have established it is the wire that connects my heated grips. The bike is in for a service on Saturday anyway so I will get them to reconnect it and check there are no problems.

Grumpy old man
1 hour ago, Jkf78 said:

Thanks for the replies, I have established it is the wire that connects my heated grips. The bike is in for a service on Saturday anyway so I will get them to reconnect it and check there are no problems.

Hi

Did removing the wire solve the problem of the lights being permanently on?

SteveThackery

Good, so it was a wire that once fed an accessory requiring a switched-live.  As you discovered, if you connect it to the battery instead, then everything else on that same circuit will be permanently on.

I'm impressed that you trust the dealer to sort it out.  

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, SteveThackery said:

I'm impressed that you trust the dealer to sort it out.  

Not every owner is convinced they know more know more about motorcycles than the paid professionals at their dealership.. :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
Grumpy old man
41 minutes ago, Tex said:

Not every owner is convinced they know more know more about motorcycles than the paid professionals at their dealership.. :D 

I wished I knew as much. I don't think it's lack of knowledge I think some don't take the care that the owner does.😔

• Like 1