Different power - why?

Rev Ken

Rev Ken

The standard 'X' has a greater power output than the 'S' - WHY????? Is it easy to 'upgrade' the 'S' to the 'X' specification? :geek:

poldark

Sorry but I just checked Honda UK website and NC700X & S are listed with identical engine outputs (35kW).

The only difference is with the DCT option, which uses increased engine output (38.1kW)

I did however find a different anomaly, according to the listed Specs, which I guess could be wrong, the DCT version weighs 4kg more (S) but 10kg more (X) - whatever explanation could there be for that?

Edited by poldark
Mike5100

It's always struck me as unlikely that the net increase in weight for DCT would be 10kg (ie 22lb). OK there's an extra clutch shaft and several extra cogs and an extra clutch mechanism, but there's a saving in clutch lever, cable and gearshift.

Somehow 4kg seems nearer the mark.

Mike

poldark

Well the 38.1kW is the DCT version in the UK listings, perhaps there's been a mistake "in translation", or maybe different markets have stipulated their preference. But I'd have thought Honda would benefit from standardisation from a production efficiency viewpoint.

I thought the new license regs also have a maximum power to weight ratio as well? Perhaps the DCT with extra weight can get away with a little extra power?