Oil Grade for DCT Bikes

Graham NZ

Graham NZ

It's time for the 12,000km oil change and the dealer's service manager recommends a full synthetic oil for DCT bikes.  Is that necessary?

There is evidence of the bike being serviced in Japan at 1,000km and 3,000km so I'm assuming that the clutch oil filter was replaced according to schedule and don't plan to replace it again until the 24,000km oil change.  Am I being unwise?

outrunner

No real need for synthetic oil, mine runs with 10/30 and I always change both filters as the clutch filter is not expensive. I know the service book does not say to change the clutch filter every time but it just seems silly not to.

Andy.

• Like 2
trisaki

Totally agree with out runner 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Slowboy

Agree with Outrunner and Trisaki, might as well change it, it's cheap enough.

Filters are cheap, may as well change them. 10W30 is what it needs. I only put the Castrol R in as it was cheaper than the Semi at the time of purchase.

• Like 1
embee

Agree with the others. Semi synthetic is absolutely fine, just use a known brand with the correct JASO-MA(2) rating to be sure it's approved for use with wet clutches. Technically there's essentially no difference between the manual/DCT as far as oil requirement goes, all the same type of components.

I use Castrol Power1. Be aware that according to Castrol's tech data sheets their oils are at the lower end of the viscosity bandings, so their 10W40 is only just thicker than the top of the 10W30 banding, and you wouldn't do any harm at all using their 10W40. Personally I use a mix of 10W30 and 10W40, but I'm just being perverse. I find it quietens the engine noticeably compared to neat 10W30, but of course every manufacturer's oil will be different.

FWIW I change the DCT filter each oil change, Hondasan recommends every other change, you choose.

Edited by embee
  • Like 1
Graham NZ

Bought a DCT filter today.  So small yet cost $NZ29!  I will be using Motul 10W40 semi-synthetic.

ChrisCB
5 hours ago, Graham NZ said:

Bought a DCT filter today.  So small yet cost $NZ29!  I will be using Motul 10W40 semi-synthetic.

Crikey! A complete Honda kit is only £26 From rugged roads! 2 filters seals and plug washers.