Trev

Insurance - how the heck ...?

Trev

I'm sorting out insurance for my new toy and have decided not to add to my multi-bike policy as Carole Nash want £40 admin fee and the policy will be up for renewal in August. One benefit of being 'older' is that bike and car insurance is pretty low for me so I'm going to start a separate policy.

I opened up the Compare The Market quote I did for the Africa Twin when I got it last year, popped in the new Guzzi V7 details and up came the best price, Bennetts for £95. Not bad I thought considering zero no claims as I use the full no claims on my multi-bike policy. I then noticed the price on the original quote for the Africa Twin was lower, I thought maybe as it was nearly a year old so I updated the details with a new start date same as the Guzzi and guess what, the 1000cc, 98bhp £10k Africa Twin would be £13 cheaper for me to insure (again wth Bennetts) than the 750cc, 48bhp, £5k Guzzi V7 ........ how the heck?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Tex

There’s lots of factors at play there, Trev. Not all of them obvious to ‘normal’ people.. 

One factor is spare parts prices for Italian machines. Another is that you have owned the A/T for a year now and qualify for ‘continuous ownership’ discount. 

It’s never entirely straightforward ;) 

Still want a ride on the V7.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Andy m

One V7 stolen or wrecked is a bigger pecentage of the population. V7 repairs may be more expensive. Where V7's crash effects the size of payout, taking a wing mirror off a Bentley in Chelsea is more than a Ford in Castleford. V7 owners may been accepting higher quotes rather than deciding not to buy the bike.

Statistics applied to an undersized sample.

Andy

• Like 1

Trev
36 minutes ago, Andy m said:

One V7 stolen or wrecked is a bigger pecentage of the population. V7 repairs may be more expensive. Where V7's crash effects the size of payout, taking a wing mirror off a Bentley in Chelsea is more than a Ford in Castleford. V7 owners may been accepting higher quotes rather than deciding not to buy the bike.

Statistics applied to an undersized sample.

Andy

Yes of course, I hadn't really considered just how niche the V7 (or any Guzzi) is, in my mind it's Guzzi's biggest selling bike but that isn't saying much. I just looked through the UK motor industry stats and Moto Guzzi doesn't get mention anywhere in the sales figures whilst the AT is the biggest selling 650 - 1000cc bike, 249 units in March. I can't find any figures for Guzzi in my ten minute google but I wouldn't mind betting they don't sell as many in total in the UK as Honda sell AT's

No idea why I got engrossed in that, back to work to earn enough for some Guzzi silencers :ahappy:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Trev
52 minutes ago, Tex said:

Still want a ride on the V7.. 

You're very welcome, you'll have to pop over to my 'shed' one day and you can have a tryout on a few bikes, if I can get them out from  behind the cr*p I'm storing in my lock up for other people. I may even find a tea bag and a lump of sugar for a cuppa :thumbsup:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gasman

I can only dream of the insurance figures your getting, even with full NCD! Try putting a Central London post code, 12k pa mileage and Class1 Biz use into your details.......all I can say is owww! Doesnt stop me smiling every time I get on it though. :D

• Like 2

Tex

Good for you, Gas. We all have our cross to bear, but finding something (like your Affy Twin) that makes you smile on through is, indeed, priceless. :)

Motorcycles should be available on prescription. I would have been in the loony bin long ago without mine.. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Trev
15 hours ago, Gasman said:

I can only dream of the insurance figures your getting, even with full NCD! Try putting a Central London post code, 12k pa mileage and Class1 Biz use into your details.......all I can say is owww! Doesnt stop me smiling every time I get on it though. :D

I feel for you, I have a few bikes so usually put about 2k mileage on the quote request but have gone for 8k on the V7 (and the AT) as plan to use them for longer trips and all year riding (I did just over 6k on the AT last year). Not sure about business use, never put that on a bike but for sure your Central London postcode will be the killer compared to my sleepy Dorset abode - on the plus side you have all sorts of new fangled things like broadband and trains up there :thumbsup:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

baben
On 4/13/2018 at 08:53, Trev said:

I feel for you, I have a few bikes so usually put about 2k mileage on the quote request but have gone for 8k on the V7 (and the AT) as plan to use them for longer trips and all year riding (I did just over 6k on the AT last year). Not sure about business use, never put that on a bike but for sure your Central London postcode will be the killer compared to my sleepy Dorset abode - on the plus side you have all sorts of new fangled things like broadband and trains up there :thumbsup:

Trains are over rated. It all went down hill when they got shot of the trolley buses.

• Grrr 1
  • Haha 1

arengle

a question regarding how many miles you put on insurance, I generally do around 2-3k miles in UK but I make another 4-5k outside UK, should I put 8k or just 3k because outside UK I am not getting fully compressive inssurance only the mandatory EU one?

Rocker66
13 minutes ago, arengle said:

a question regarding how many miles you put on insurance, I generally do around 2-3k miles in UK but I make another 4-5k outside UK, should I put 8k or just 3k because outside UK I am not getting fully compressive inssurance only the mandatory EU one?

I would say 8 because your still riding on the same policy. You don’t want to give the insurance company an excuse not to pay out should the worse happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Andy m

If they will find out (new bike, with the same company in earlier years, they asked what the current mileage was at the start etc.) I'd give them the full number for definate. Any excuse to weedle  out of paying and they'll take it. Also, don't assume higher miles will put the premium up. In the same way declared security probably means you go to high risk areas, low miles may mean you don't get enough practice or are parked up where thieves operate.

Andy

• Like 2

Tex
4 hours ago, arengle said:

Are you sure you’re only getting the mandatory level of insurance while in the EU? I would check it out because most companies include full cover. Either way you need to make full disclosure about your total mileage. Crazy not to.

• Like 2

arengle

I always put 10k but I was curious about the subject. Yes I get only the third party when I am going in EU.

Gasman
On 13/04/2018 at 08:53, Trev said:

Yes, Broadband is pretty good up here...........where are you guys at? Have you got past dial up where it squeaks and crackles for 10 minutes before it connects up for 5seconds before losing connection:thumbsup:

Trev
2 minutes ago, Gasman said:

Yes, Broadband is pretty good up here...........where are you guys at? Have you got past dial up where it squeaks and crackles for 10 minutes before it connects up for 5seconds before losing connection:thumbsup:

I'm on the (currently) sunny Dorset/Hants border, quiet but not exactly the back of beyond, it's just that our part of the village (3,000 people, is that still a village?) suffers the worse of old school BT telephone comms. Our broadband drops out so often I sometimes wonder if it's still dial-up.

Actually you reminded me of the 'arms race' in dial-up up modems, I was in a repro studio for several years and every time the next latest and greatest modem came out we had to have one, all the way from our US Robotics Sportster 14,400 up to the heady heights of 56k and more :thumbsup:

Gasman

hahaha, we've come along way since those days. Actually, I don't even use my broad band now when using my laptop at home as hotspotting 4g from my phone works faster. On another note I looked at the map last week to see where might be reasonably equi distance with Tex (and anyone else who might be around) to have that impromtu midweek drink and a bite to eat. I came up with Chiddingfold where there are 2 or 3 locals serving good grub. When its still light past 8pm we could maybe firm up a date. 

Trev
5 minutes ago, Gasman said:

hahaha, we've come along way since those days. Actually, I don't even use my broad band now when using my laptop at home as hotspotting 4g from my phone works faster. On another note I looked at the map last week to see where might be reasonably equi distance with Tex (and anyone else who might be around) to have that impromtu midweek drink and a bite to eat. I came up with Chiddingfold where there are 2 or 3 locals serving good grub. When its still light past 8pm we could maybe firm up a date. 

Where the hell is Chiddingfold, sounds like a made up English village? I'll fire up google maps once the modem has dialed up :D

• Like 1

Gasman

It would be boring to go somewhere you've heard of:D

Trev

:D I genuinely thought I would google it and find it's the next village on from Trumpton!

It's about an hour and half for me, so maybe on a day when I can get away bit early. I'm assume that Tex, being a man of leisure, will be able to make it any time (:ermm:), any particular day of the week that is better for you?

Next couple of weeks are hectic for me, off to Cornwall Thursday and then funeral and business meet in London next week mean it will need to be into May for me. At the moment w/c 30th April is pretty free.

Gasman

Its only 40/45 mins from me so lets find somewhere further south......is Tex coming from Hastings area?

poldark
1 hour ago, Gasman said:

Its only 40/45 mins from me so lets find somewhere further south......is Tex coming from Hastings area?

More a daytime place but there's a pleasant cafe at Goodwood Aerodrome, just a little further south, can watch single seater lessons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Trev
1 hour ago, Gasman said:

I don't mind the ride, yes I think he's near Hastings, let's see how far he wants to go

• Like 1

Tex

I’m in Eastbourne (‘your’ side of Hastings) and I don’t mind too much where we meet. Just pick somewhere ‘bike friendly’ :) 

Gasman

In the interests of making Tex feel like he hasn't left home:D there's a village called Easebourne with a nice looking pub called the White Horse. Pretty equi distance for all

• Like 1