When to stop using Honda Main Dealer for services

Steve Blackdog

embee
4 hours ago, coopers12345 said:

I had the 600 mile and the 1st proper service done at main dealer just in case anything did go that needed doing under warranty, after that I did my own.  etc

I work on the same principle, "infant mortality" is the most likely failure so once you get past the first year it's likely that anything which was going to fail probably will have. After that if you can do the routine stuff yourself the savings compared to dealership rates will probably offset any unlucky issue, and if you can also do consumable stuff like brake pads and chains then you're almost certainly going to be squids in.

If you're going to keep it, as said by others, the value after 5 or 6 yrs is minimal anyway. If you want to trade it in after a couple of years then dealer stamps are worth having I guess.

coopers12345
1 hour ago, embee said:

If you want to trade it in after a couple of years then dealer stamps are worth having I guess.

You'd be surprised, a friend traded his car in at a main dealers and got nothing extra for having had it serviced at main dealers. It's something they'll highlight when they sell it but they won't give you anything extra for it. Unless you get a warm tingly feeling from having matching stamps then there's very little point once the warranty expires.

Andy m
14 hours ago, Steve Blackdog said:

If you do your own servicing, do you put anything in the service booklet?

Yes, I bought myself a stamp off the auction site.

When I traded my Guzzi the dealer never batted so much as an eyelid over being handed a memory stick with photo's of every oil change. Only BMW ever bothered and they had naff all realistic chance of selling me anything anyway. When the dealer advertised the Guzzi it suddenly had full dealer service history. I therefore now stamp the book to make it clear, or at least make dealers source a new book.

Andy 

• Like 2
Guest ericzed1962

Mine is going in for it's 1st service on the 11th of May and this will be the last time it will be seing the main dealer. I will be doing the servicing myself after that, using genuine Honda parts obviously. Did the same on my previous bikes and the main dealer never batted and eyelid, they aren't bothered.