Brake Pads

dazznutts

dazznutts

just a quick question about front brake pads i need to replace from orignal honda oem

are the oem organic or sintered

do i stay organic/kevlar or sintered

will my discs wear quicker with sintered 

I think there are some existing threads on this and potentially some difference of opinion re sintered v organic on rear

I followed what I believe is Honda recommendations, although I can't remember where I git them from, possibly service manual.

So for 2014 NC750X I used

Front: EBC FA196HH (Sintered)

Rear:  EBC FA496 (organic)

(edit: just to clarify I think Honda recommendation was for sintered & organic not sepcifcally EBC pads)

Edited by Rogue
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
dazznutts

just asking the question was when i had bike serviced yesterday i was quoted price for oem pads which are over double the price of EBC

But dealer said the HH will wear disc quicker so confused if i should get Kevlar or HH pads

skorpion

These are the pads I have been trying over the last 1000 miles, they work well, and powerfull, now that the disc is coated in brake pad residue, and no grabbing/ squealing as the original Honda pads did, also no noticable brake diac wear.

Recomended.

https://www.that auction site.co.uk/itm/HONDA-NC-750-X-NC-750-XE-14-15-Front-Sintered-HH-Race-Pads-/222338475378?hash=item33c467e572

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss/257-7421348-3341532?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Huey++HONDA-NC-750-X+brake+pads

dazznutts

these are listed as a race pad wont they wear disc quicker and pads wear as quick ?

Mr Toad
38 minutes ago, dazznutts said:

just asking the question was when i had bike serviced yesterday i was quoted price for oem pads which are over double the price of EBC

But dealer said the HH will wear disc quicker so confused if i should get Kevlar or HH pads

Braking is a matter of friction, the friction between the pad and the disk.

Friction causes wear in both the pads and the disk. What you need to decide is how efficient do you feel your brakes are and do they need to be better. I'd rather have the ability to  stop quickly should I need to, if that means disk wear then so be it.

Yes you can get pads that give long life and cause little wear to the disk and you can get pads that with stand the bike on its nose and wear the disks. Then there's pretty much everything in between. 

I'm still on the original Honda pads and changing them is top of my list of things to do now the weather is improving. I like the EBC HH pads, I've used them on my bikes for years. I replaced the OEM Triumph pads on my Bonneville with EBC pads and it transformed the braking. Twin disks would be better. 

I know the NC is race bike and performance is modest but that said I've never ridden a 750 before that has such vague braking, I'd say they were adequate at best. Some people disagree but when it comes to brakes I like, and expect, to be able to stop quickly if needed. 

• Like 1
skorpion

Over the years I have had experiance with pads/brakes on various machines, I found not all maufactures brake pads work well on all bikes.

As a Yorkshireman I find I gravitate to the less well known/ cheaper end of the market, having tried the likes of EBC etc.

As examples,

1998 MZ Skorpion Traveller worked best with Goldfren AB brake pads front & rear.

2008 Kawasaki ZZR600e6f front Goldfren GP5 or Bendix MRR, both classed as race pads both worked powerfully but as a downside gave off more dust, they made the crap stock brakes fine.

2017 Honda NC750X has a weak rear brake I have upgraded to Goldfren S33 pads better but not as good as I would like ,but dont want it too powerful as to lock up the rear.

Front Huey race pads.

Brake pads are like tyres everyone has a favourite but for my style of riding the above pads are/were mine.

Mr Toad
42 minutes ago, skorpion said:

2017 Honda NC750X has a weak rear brake I have upgraded to Goldfren S33 pads better but not as good as I would like ,but dont want it too powerful as to lock up the rear.

Front Huey race pads.

My rear brake on the NC actually feels stronger than the front and that's not right and why new pads are in order.

Mr Toad

I've just placed an order for new pads for the NC. 

As stated above by Rogue they are EBC FA196HH. 

Interestingly they are exactly the same pads, FA196HH, as I put in the Bonneville. If you search by the pad reference rather than the bike it returns a long list of machines that use them. No surprise really. 

TheEnglishman

EBC sintered front and organic rear here.  The front disc isn't too worn after 50k commuting daily to London.  Depends how and where you ride though.  

And the NC's front brake is the softest, spongiest brake I've ever had on a bike.  It's horrible.  I've taken a couple for test rides to check and it seems they're all like that.

• Like 1
skorpion
12 hours ago, dazznutts said:

these are listed as a race pad wont they wear disc quicker and pads wear as quick ?

No they work by leaving a layer of brake pad on the disc, it's this that the pad mostly grips, not like some that only abrade the brake disc.

As to pad wear 1000 miles  still bedding in and far more powerfull than the Honda pads.

Anyone who has spongy/soft brakes I would suggest bleeding/changing the brake fluid if still no change upgrade the pads.

Mark8arker

Over the recent poor weather period i stood my bike up. After couple weeks  the brakes had sized a little. Stripped, cleaned the brakes. Bleeded them as well. The parking brake was sized  as well.  After cleaning both the  braking and feel improved. Ride over some very dirty roads. 

Brake pads and tyres are quite personal choices. The brakes are in real terms adequate! 

Tonyj

I think I'm the oddity on this forum ( not wrong there mate , leave it rocker 😆) I seem to find Oem pads ok . The times I have used different products have given me varying results and disc wear was accelerated. This has been on other bike not the mc.

• Like 1

I like the SBS ceramics. No disc wear and good breaking power. The OEM pads seem to make the disc feel like it is warped ... just saying 

Rocker66
4 hours ago, Tonyj said:

I think I'm the oddity on this forum ( not wrong there mate , leave it rocker 😆) I seem to find Oem pads ok . The times I have used different products have given me varying results and disc wear was accelerated. This has been on other bike not the mc.

I wasn’t going to say a word🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1