New bike care

Guest AceTallPaul

Guest AceTallPaul

Hi all

thanks for your welcome on the hello page!

im picking up a new 2018 NC750-x tomorrow- first brand new bike and first bike for 12 years...

id appreciate tips on initial care: is the Tutoro Automatic Chain Oiler worth having, how often to change the oil, how best to clean chain etc. 

I only just realised on here on here that there is no centre stand. Should I get one, or is a paddock stand better? Recommended product for cleaning etc

thanks in advance....

Edited by AceTallPaul
rainmaker

I had Tutoro Oiler on my NC700X. It is simple to install and work very well. Definitely would extended the chain life. The downsize is it requires manual adjustments depending on the outside temperature and inevitably the back-end of the bike become a mess. Not so bad on NC700X with black wheels, but the new models are with silver rims and the mess would be very apparent. After all I decided I'd go without for my Africa Twin with gold rims because of this.

Central strand - I never had paddock stand but I think the main stand is essential for chain driven bike as it goes with the bike, can be used to park in tight spots and do the chain maintenance everywhere. 

Congrats on your new bike and enjoy :)

baben

Centre stand really should be standard kit. definitely get one. Some chaps use the Loobman oiler. I am very happy with my E Scotoiler but they are pricey. Give the whole bike a going over with ACF50 too, really helps keep corrosion at bay.

Loads of really good advice on this site if you search the numerous threads.  Many generous and well-informed comments (mine excepted).

Well worth donating a tenner to become a supporter.  There's far more here than you'll find in, say, two issues of Bike or Ride at £5 each an issue.

Grumpy old man

Hi Paul

As regards oil change These need to be done ( I think) by a Honda dealer so as to keep your warranty. As regard cleaning and cleaning products I learned a lot from youtube in particular the Muc off ones. As I've said before I returned to biking after a 40 year layoff and this forum + youtube as been a great help. Definitely recommend a  center stand and would also consider a a fender extender and a radiator guard. The loobman has been good for me, easy to fit and simple to use.

Good luck

Lloyd

sullspots

Hi Paul,while you are at the dealer it might be a good idea to book the first service.It'll be on you before you know and at this time of year the service departments are crazy busy.

Good luck with the new bike.

PoppetM

If you are planning on touring a centre stand is a must. If you will be using it just to commute a paddock stand is sufficient for maintenance. 

Either automatic oiler or good habit of a regular lube, or the chain won’t see 8,000.

Definetly ACF50 the bike, I went through the first winter unaware of this magical product and the corrosion was horrific, but I commute in all weathers. 

Guest AceTallPaul
1 hour ago, PoppetM said:

If you are planning on touring a centre stand is a must. If you will be using it just to commute a paddock stand is sufficient for maintenance. 

Either automatic oiler or good habit of a regular lube, or the chain won’t see 8,000.

Definetly ACF50 the bike, I went through the first winter unaware of this magical product and the corrosion was horrific, but I commute in all weathers. 

Just really planning on commuting. Is the ACF50 just to put on for winter - so no need at the moment?

Guest AceTallPaul

Ordered a Tutoro.  Now need to figure out how to install it! I’ve read several posts in here, but most of the photos have disappeared.

nearside pillion footpeg seems to be the place to mount it - single or double head, though?

Tonyj

Had a double feed , thought that would be a good idea .......didn't really work too well (or at all really ) 😆

went back to a single , easier to place and get less fling .

Finlayson99
8 hours ago, AceTallPaul said:

Just really planning on commuting. Is the ACF50 just to put on for winter - so no need at the moment?

I use the ACF50 all year round.

PoppetM
9 hours ago, AceTallPaul said:

I tend to just use it for winter as the bike gets washed less, this time of year all the pollen and dust sticks to the ACF50 and the bike gets s

a weekly bath.