bornagain

new season - summer gloves -suggestions please!

bornagain

Post title and format shamelessly stolen from @bazza ;)

As the wonderful weather has quite quickly turned from artic :brr: to tropical :sunny: I've been caught out on the gloves front and would like some suggestions.
When I stopped for petrol, yesterday,  I had a"peeling" exercise then getting the gloves back on was ... well you know the rest :cry:

Seeking:

Short summer, vented gloves. I have longish digits with a narrow hand, so tend to find I have to go up a size to get the finger length.
I carry spare gloves in the frunk so it's a snip to switch over in the event of a weather change.

Budget - around £50-60 ish

FWIW: I have seen Oxford RP-6 and Spada MX-air and RST 2123 Stunt III and thought I'd ask for opinions.

Cheers
Neil.

BTW: Get out there in this weather!

djsb

I've got a pair of Held Phantom GP One's . Not tried any other so can't compare.

• Thanks 1

Grumpy Meltdown

I need a new pair too.

Anybody got any suggestions for summer gortex with cuff?

Radarman
3 hours ago, CFB said:

summer gortex

Is that not a contradiction, Clive?

Even the thinnest Goretex gloves with X-Trafit technology seem to be too warm for days like today... at least to me.

• Thanks 1

PoppetM

I have Bering TX09's - I bought them for my Australia trip and used them yesterday - really good vented glove, although I am guessing they are not too waterproof! Will have to report on that. 

I have a pair of gorgeous Held leather summer gloves but they are a tad tight so if my hands get too warm, I can't get them back on...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

arengle

I have Spada Contour, this are the best gloves for summer, but they are discontinued, sometimes I use Rev'it Sand that I got them for free with the suit, but I don't like off road type gloves on tarmac

• Thanks 1

coopers12345
8 hours ago, CFB said:

I need a new pair too.

Anybody got any suggestions for summer gortex with cuff?

I use a pair of Held Air n Dry all year round. They have two internal sections, one vented and one Goretex.

• Thanks 1

embee

I recently got some Halvarssons Aerate to replace my old vented gloves, they are CE approved so satisfy the French regs. Nicely made and sturdy for a vented summer glove. I too have reasonably long fingers but these are quite well dimensioned, though I do tend to go one size bigger than might be expected. I used https://www.motolegends.com/gloves/Halvarssons-Aerate-Glove.html , they do a price match or beat (10%) offer which they've done for me a couple of times, so well worth checking out alternative pricing and then trying them.

• Thanks 1

Grumpy Meltdown
On 21/04/2018 at 16:25, Radarman said:

Is that not a contradiction, Clive?

Even the thinnest Goretex gloves with X-Trafit technology seem to be too warm for days like today... at least to me.

Possibly. The pair I wore in Scotland are summer gloves and gortex. They're 11 years old.

Although the leather is fine, they're not that waterproof any more, as I reckon the gortex liner is FUBAR.

Ive had a look at the HG site and they don't seem to do an equivalent now. 🙁

18 hours ago, coopers12345 said:

I use a pair of Held Air n Dry all year round. They have two internal sections, one vented and one Goretex.

Sounds interesting... Definitely waterproof?

lipsee

I have a pair of Triumph cruiser gloves,there,s not much protection,but plenty of ventilation,and look cool...I think around £35 sods..

• Thanks 1

Radarman
4 hours ago, CFB said:

Personally never had them but I heard very good opinions about these Helds.

Here is the review of them from one of my favourite review sites WebBikeWorld.com

https://www.webbikeworld.com/held-air-n-dry-gloves-review/

• Thanks 1

Grumpy Meltdown

Hmm.

As it says, they seem to have the compartments the wrong way round.

I'm not convinced they are for me so the search continues...

ScooterCommuter

I use Alpinestars smx1 air gloves in summer and was very happy to put them on again for the first time at the weekend. Very meshy but seems to have protection in all the right places. I paid £55 but you can probably find them cheaper if you shop around.

• Thanks 2

Hickky

Its that time of year then because only this lunchtime I went out looking for leather summer gloves with ce approval for France. I have been looking on tinternet but whatever I order seems to be miles too small or not as described. My hands are 11" around the fingers, most sizing charts say XL but most XL I cant even get my hands inside! Guy from shop recons most gloves are made in Pakistan or Bangla Desh and they just make it up as they go along. European made are now rare!

bornagain
22 hours ago, Hickky said:

Its that time of year then because only this lunchtime I went out looking for leather summer gloves with ce approval for France. I have been looking on tinternet but whatever I order seems to be miles too small or not as described. My hands are 11" around the fingers, most sizing charts say XL but most XL I cant even get my hands inside! Guy from shop recons most gloves are made in Pakistan or Bangla Desh and they just make it up as they go along. European made are now rare!

Sounds about right to me. I hate clothes shopping as I'm not "standard" sized.
Given that, the service I've had from Sports Bike Shop seems geared to these issues. Free returns and good customer service - not the cheapest but I'm happy to pay a few more quid for the ease of use. I tend to order a few items / sizes and return what doesn't suit.

Neil

bazza

I can't get excited about gloves.Paying absurd money to basicly keep your hands warm -no thanks.

I use simple leather gloves that get wet and so use the heated grips. Warm wet hands is fine by me and a spare pair doesn't take up much room.

Yes there's an argument that they don't give much "protection" - but your choice!

Hickky

Just taken delivery of Rolef Raceware XXXL Leather gloves. Hmmmm only just big enough as long as I allow them to stretch. £30.00 from the south american river. I'll let you know.

• Thanks 1

bornagain

Hi all,

many, many thanks for all of the replies and ideas.

I found a bargain on the auction site:
RST 2123 Stunt III @ £24.99 :ahappy:

They are CE, (useful as I fancy the odd excursion to France). If anyone else is interested they appear to come up small, I needed 2XL.

They arrived on Thursday, so I tried them to go the IAM club night and needed the heated grips to come home :dielaugh:

Also snaffled a pair for the good lady.

Ride safe,

Neil.

• Thanks 1

Scootabout

Just bought a pair of Bering Raven gloves. They seem fine so far, but I've only ridden about two miles in them :D

I initially wanted unlined leather gloves like my old ones, but they didn't have any in the shop. The salesman said that lined ones with perforated leather (or fabric) is the norm now as sweat tends to degrade unlined leather and weaken it.  Since one of my old gloved had several holes in the palm and fingers I wasn't going to argue. 

coopers12345
Posted (edited)
On ‎22‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 16:56, CFB said:

100%

Rode in them through some torrential downpours without so much as a drop getting through.

On ‎23‎/‎04‎/‎2018 at 21:37, CFB said:

Hmm.

As it says, they seem to have the compartments the wrong way round.

I'm not convinced they are for me so the search continues...

Having the goretex compartment ontop means that you get a vented palm when you want it.

Edited by coopers12345