Front sprocket integra nc700 chain

ade

Chain and sprocket integra nc 700.

I’ve done 19,000 miles on my current chain and sprockets. The original chain set did 14,000 miles. 

I use a tutoro chain oiler which works well. 

I often ride two up with a full load in the box and panniers. So the bike has to work hard. 

i have one tight spot  and am thinking of changing the sprocket and chain set. It’s not urgent.  I do tighten the chain intermittently on the tight spot, but I get a bit of a rattle particularly at low revs from the chain. I have noticed that the dct is much more effective when the chain tension is just right. 

Honda have quoted about £370 for the job including labour, which seems a lot. 

The local bike tyre centre is quoting about £180 for the job with a DID chain set. I’m not sure if they’ve worked on an integra before but for sure they will have Had other nc’s in. 

1. I’m thinking maybe doing the job myself. 

Which sprocket and chain kit are people recommending for integra nc 700 obviously with dct?

2. How much of the plastic cowl and fairing needs to come off to reveal the front sprocket on the integra.

3.I have dzell foot pegs. Will these also have to come off to do the job. 

4. I live in SE london. Can anyone recommmend and independent bike mechanic/ shop, who would do a good job?

Edited by ade
Wording
Croydonscooter

My personal experience is having changed the chain and both sprockets on my NC700  Integra for the first time is that it is a fairly straightforward job.  I paid just  £60  for the complete set plus a splitter/riveter tool for about £20.  So unless it is something you wish to do time and time again the quote of £180 sounds ok to save a lot of bending down grimy arse work!  The Integra had a small front panel which needed removing with about 3 bolts (it will be pretty self explanatory when doing the job) but getting the parking brake assembly back in place when fitting the rear wheel was a bit of a challenge for me as I had to try to lift a heavy wheel up whilst simultaneously fitting the brake calipers etc.

Experience of doing things yourself is never wasted time but it depends on what value you place on your time.

All the best

Aaron

embee

For bodywork, just the silver sprocket cover to come off, two 8mm head size bolts, you do need a small socket on an extension to get down to them. The upper is obvious, the lower is down through a diamond shaped hole in the lower black panel, no need to remove the lower panel though, just the silver one.

I fitted a DID VX2 chain, much smoother than the original item. Note that you can get various "grades" of DID chain so worth being specific about which one to use. I find it's worth paying a little more for the better spec. I wouldn't bother with the VO (O-ring as opposed to X-ring). I think the "best" one they do is a ZVM-X http://www.didchain.com/streetChains.html

From a reputable supplier (beware of fakes) a VX2 will be around £70ish, a JT front sprocket probably in the £15 range. M&P, Wemoto, Busters etc.

If you've kept it well lubed the  rear sprocket may well still be perfectly serviceable, though the books all will say change the full set together. The front will definitely warrant changing at that mileage.

Don't know about the Dzell footrests, but only a couple of bolts anyway.

For a decent mechanic the Integra is no different to any normal bike as far as changing the chain/sprockets. If fitting a split chain and riveting the link, it's not necessary to remove the rear wheel unless changing the rear sprocket also. If removing the wheel, the handbrake caliper comes off first (2 bolts), and then the caliper carrier and rear service brake caliper come off together as normal when removing the wheel. A decent mechanic can probably do the job properly in an hour and a bit, less if not doing the rear sprocket.

The alternative is to fit an endless (factory riveted) chain, no need for a riveting tool, but you need to drop the swingarm out. This is actually not a difficult job and needs no specific tools, just normal sockets etc. That's the way I would do it next time, having had the swingarm out, but if you're not into that level of DIY mechanics then someone else to fit and rivet a chain is probably the way to go. One advantage of dropping the swingarm out is that you can take the opportunity to grease all the suspension bearings (a photo of a tin of grease is waved in their general direction in the factory).

Excellent thanks embee

Edited by ade
Spelling
Croydonscooter

Always fit new chain and sockets.   So the rear wheel will need taking off in my opinion and a good opportunity to clean everything up as Emblee mentions including the suspension parts and swinging arm.  Both the chain tension adjusters needed cleaning up so that you can get a visual in the adjustment increments as well.   The set I fitted was a X-Ring 520 Chain and was £55 delivered from Cardiff Motorcycles via that Auction site.  It included everything and the quality was heavy good grade steel on the sprockets and a quality chain with sealed o ring links complete with rivet for joining.  Easilly better quality than the Honda chain and so much smoother than the old worn out one - a joy to use now!  Good luck and you should thank Emblee for his detailed input too!  Have a go its not too hard if you have the skills and the will power to have a go!  Aaron

• 1 month later...

Phewweee. 

Fitted the DID   ZVM-X chain. 

What a difference. Its like a new bike. Everything is so smooth. Gears on the DCT are much more responsive.

OK I got 20,000 miles on my last stock chain from Honda. However it never felt like this before.

Moral of the story- Upgrade your chains  NC lovers. You will not regret it.

Mad thing is that a quality chain set and sprockets is also much cheaper than the Honda stock set. What a weird world.

My only gripe is that the chain came in black and gold. :cry: Which is not really me. Oh well

Thanks again to Aaron and Murray

Viva Integra

• Like 1
kayz1

Honda Neutral switch £21 plus Vat:  work that one out,,others i have bought not long ago for 5 or 6 £'s..

10 minutes ago, kayz1 said:

Honda Neutral switch £21 plus Vat:  work that one out,,others i have bought not long ago for 5 or 6 £'s..

Check the price of a spark plug cap- £80:bye::bye::bye:

• Sad 1
kayz1
Just now, ade said:

Check the price of a spark plug cap- £80:bye::bye::bye:

Not good, hope i never need one....Or two:lol:

1 minute ago, kayz1 said:

Not good, hope i never need one....Or two:lol:

Unfortunately I did have a split in spark plug cap after my bike was serviced and plugs replaced. I ended up on the auction site and bought a coil, ht, lead and cap for a fraction of the £80 price of a new cap from honda. I always feel sorry for the parts guys at honda who try to keep a an impassive face when you grimace at the price of replacements

kayz1

I would not mind but there is a thriving after market parts business in motorcycle bits just as there is with cars/trucks/marine stuff.

So why do we have to pay these prices! Why do the after market not advertise to the public!!