1st service

Guest ericzed1962

Guest ericzed1962

Hallo all

I find it very strange that in todays world bike's still have to go in for a 1st service. Why is that?

My theory is that it is a money making racket.

Andy m

The only other reason is that some bikes still come in crates with the forks off. The 600 service lets them check the bolts. Cars from a factory have this sort of data recorded as they go down the line, so less risk.

Its mostly just an extra charge IMHO.

Andy

Rocker66

As some dealers do the first service FOC it can’t just be a money making exercise..

• Like 1
Spindizzy

I assumed the 600 mile is part of the initial bedding in process for the engine. A straight non detergent oil that allows the rings to bed in. Exact same principle we use in plane engines for the first 50 hours run. Then we swap to a high performance oil.

Seems odd as cars don't need the same attention from new. 

• Like 1
Guest ericzed1962
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

As some dealers do the first service FOC it can’t just be a money making exercise..

Mine is costing me £150.

Andy m

Hundred quid here if I decide to keep the warranty for a year.

They could do it FOC then knock it off the trade in or add it on to the bike, its not as though you'd just have a first service.

Andy

Spindizzy
38 minutes ago, Andy m said:

Hundred quid here if I decide to keep the warranty for a year.

They could do it FOC then knock it off the trade in or add it on to the bike, its not as though you'd just have a first service.

Andy

Mine is free, all part of the post haggle after I was given the price to exchange. Also got the centre stand thrown in. Pretty sure they still made their margins, I am still happy though and so are they.

• Like 3
Finlayson99
16 hours ago, Spindizzy said:

I assumed the 600 mile is part of the initial bedding in process for the engine. A straight non detergent oil that allows the rings to bed in. Exact same principle we use in plane engines for the first 50 hours run. Then we swap to a high performance oil.

Seems odd as cars don't need the same attention from new. 

My old Scooby WRX had a 1000 mile service with oil change etc. The only car I have ever had that had that in it's schedule but then obviously it's got a performance engine that is designed to be driven hard.

• Like 1

The first service harks back to the old days. Everything used to have a 500 mile service to change the oils (to remove particles of components that had bedded in to their neighbours).

Modern manufacturing and lubricants have reduced/removed the need. Cars no longer have it. No reason bikes should either, but we always lag behind the four wheel crowd in such matters. :(

Edited by Tex