Mr Toad

Carbon fibre lid - anyone using one?

Mr Toad

While out on the bike today I called in a dealers, free coffee and lots of nice toys to look at. :) 

While in there I tried on a carbon fibre lid, I've never even looked at them before let alone picked one up and tried it on. I knew it would be light but have to say I was surprised at how light it felt when on, also how close fitting it was. Compared to my Shark, which is huge and even my Shoei, not so huge, there's a lot less internal padding.

It was a BMW dealership, and so was the helmet, the one that colour matches the various GS colours. How nice :) 

It was extremely light and comfortable, so much so that I'm seriously considering buying a carbon fibre helmet. 

Is anyone wearing one?

What do you think to it?

• Like 1

Reckless_Rat

I've got the Shark Evoline Series 3 Pro Carbon. It seems fine.
About the same weight as my other helmet even though it's a complicated design.
I believe that not all the parts are carbon fibre.
Found a good deal on it a couple of years ago.

• Thanks 1

poldark

Bought a Marushin Carbon when I bought the Street Triple in 2010, only 1.1kg, staggeringly light.

Only £180 at J&S but sadly no longer available.

Such a huge difference on a fast naked bike, now using a Stealth Carbon (nowhere near as good) & HJC RPHA ST (not carbon but v. light and circa £130 online)

Weight is main reason I don't have a flip helmet, but I have slightly iffy back/neck so just being cautious.

• Thanks 1

Wilco

I have a Shark Spartan Carbon, although it is not a real 100% carbon lid it is pretty light and comfy. 

If you are looking for an excuse to buy remember the lighter the helmet the lower the rotational forces on your neck if the worst happens.

• Like 1

Walklikegump
On 01/05/2018 at 16:29, Reckless_Rat said:

I've got the Shark Evoline Series 3 Pro Carbon. It seems fine.

Does it fit in the frunk?   I have one and couldn't get it in the frunk on the test bike.  My bike is still a couple of weeks away .  

Radarman

Hi Mason,

I have been using Lazer Monaco Pure Carbon helmet for some 2 years and anyone who picks it compliments how lightweight it is. It weights 1350g which is very good result for flip front helmet. I certainly can say that at the motorway speed doing shoulder checks is way more effortless.

lazer_monaco-evo_pure-carbon_black.jpg

• Thanks 1

Neo
12 minutes ago, Radarman said:

Hi Mason,

I have been using Lazer Monaco Pure Carbon helmet for some 2 years and anyone who picks it compliments how lightweight it is. It weights 1350g which is very good result for flip front helmet. I certainly can say that at the motorway speed doing shoulder checks is way more effortless.

lazer_monaco-evo_pure-carbon_black.jpg

Is it noisy? Only since loosing my shoei I am looking for another to replace it.. I had a roof which was quiet but I really like the feature of internal sun shade 

Radarman
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Neo said:

Is it noisy? Only since loosing my shoei I am looking for another to replace it.. I had a roof which was quiet but I really like the feature of internal sun shade 

My answer will be subjective as I always use ear plugs with 20dB filters and in my opinion it depends as well on the type of the bike/screen you have etc. But I would say is rather quiet helmet.

One of the pros (or cons as some seem to think) is it comes with photochromic visor as standard. Have a look at the review here, however recent model (Monaco Evo 2.0) is slightly modernised. I

Helmet has 5 year warranty as well...

http://www.lazerhelmets.com/product.php?markets=world&pid=18

Edited by Radarman
  • Thanks 1

Neo

Thanks Hubert I never heard of this and just reading up they sat max sun 80% tint! Is it really that good also do you have a pinlock to stop mist up?

Thanks for your help I appreciate helmet noise is subjective,I'd like to try one on but no local stockist 

Radarman
13 minutes ago, Neo said:

Thanks Hubert I never heard of this and just reading up they sat max sun 80% tint! Is it really that good also do you have a pinlock to stop mist up?

Thanks for your help I appreciate helmet noise is subjective,I'd like to try one on but no local stockist 

It is really deep tint in the bright sun (you had a chance to see it today :D) but some people say it might be dangerous when you travel through the tunnels etc, as the visor won't be able to revert to clear in a seconds.

Yes, the helmet comes with pinlock Max-Vision (so the one that fits almost the whole visor).

Adventure Spec sells them in the UK: www.adventure-spec.com

Neo
4 minutes ago, Radarman said:

It is really deep tint in the bright sun (you had a chance to see it today :D) but some people say it might be dangerous when you travel through the tunnels etc, as the visor won't be able to revert to clear in a seconds.

Yes, the helmet comes with pinlock Max-Vision (so the one that fits almost the whole visor).

Adventure Spec sells them in the UK: www.adventure-spec.com

Thanks Hubert I'll have a look 

Mr Toad

I'll have a look as well Hubert, thanks.

If you really can't see when going into a tunnel you alway have the option of lifting the visor.

• Haha 1

Tex
1 hour ago, Mr Toad said:

If you really can't see when going into a tunnel you alway have the option of lifting the visor.

One of the bonkers parts of the legislation that outlaws dark visors (which can be flipped open) and yet permits sun glasses under a plain one. Oh, OK, so that’s the only bonkers part.. :D 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Black Marauder

HELD CT 1200 its light enough ...but not a match for my other lids...NEOTEC... C3 PRO.. or the newly owned NEOTEC 2...Do you really get what you pay for ??

Radarman
4 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

To be clear it's not a problem for me at all. And the only tunnel in my area I'm aware of is Hindhead Tunnel on A3

• Like 1

wozza
Posted (edited)

I have a Carbon Fibre NEXX helmet.  My fav helmet by far so comfy and quiet..... :D

Edited by wozza
  • Like 1

Neo
Posted (edited)
55 minutes ago, Radarman said:

To be clear it's not a problem for me at all. And the only tunnel in my area I'm aware of is Hindhead Tunnel on A3

I ordered one last night Hubert many thanks not bad for 350 I got it on  e b a y  which included free delivery 👌many thanks hope it fits my bonce ok 

Edited by Neo
Typo

Neo

Won't let me type e b a y 

Radarman
42 minutes ago, Neo said:

I ordered one last night Hubert many thanks not bad for 350 I got it on  e b a y  which included free delivery 👌many thanks hope it fits my bonce ok 

What colour did you go for? 

roddy

I also have a lazer carbon monaco,here are my thoughts on it.

Its probably the best lid I have ever worn. Its incredibly light,the visor is fantastic great peripheral vision as well as the photo chromatic properties,   its legal to ride with the chin bar up. I did have to change the cheek pads from medium to large though as I am a medium it was a fraction tight but with the new pads its perfect. After 5 hours of pizza delivering there is absolutely no fatigue whatsoever,incredible lid. I got mine off adventure-spec the latest designs are out now at £440. I am going to save for one of the red ones they look great as well.

In my humble opinion it knocks spots off the Neotec which is a fantastic lid in its own right but weighs a ton compared to the lazer..

• Like 1

roddy

Sorry forgot to mention one problem, it can whistle a bit in certain head positions. Noise is not a problem with ear plugs but its not a overly noisy lid anyway. 

Reckless_Rat
On 5/5/2018 at 21:44, Walklikegump said:

Does it fit in the frunk?   I have one and couldn't get it in the frunk on the test bike.  My bike is still a couple of weeks away .  

It's a bit tight but it will just fit in the frunk, but I guess it depends on your size.

• Like 1

Mr Toad

I'm still looking. Every time a visit a bike dealers to look at the shiny things I have a look at the carbon lids.

So far the selection has been a bit disappointing, they either have very few or plenty of the mega expensive ones so the quest continues. 

roddy

Has anyone read the latest edition of Ride magazine. They have their Ride kit test section and this month its flip up helmets, the best buy was won by the Lazer Monaco Carbon but you can't get a red one in medium for love or money. 

MikeBike
10 hours ago, roddy said:

Has anyone read the latest edition of Ride magazine. They have their Ride kit test section and this month its flip up helmets, the best buy was won by the Lazer Monaco Carbon but you can't get a red one in medium for love or money. 

Sharp 4*

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/helmets/lazer-monaco/