Chain needs replacing

Guest jelle1970

Guest jelle1970

Hello my chain is nearing the end of life. Just 20000 km with a tutoro chainoiler. This is the first chain. But disappointed about the lifetime of this chain. 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• makman

• Tex

• EastSussexPete

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think they really are naff chains. By 12k Miles all my NC chains were shot. My Africa Twin is at 17k miles and chain is in great condition. Same maintenance regime mike

Nothing unusual, OEM chain at NC is pretty rubbish. Just replaced my one last week, at 9000 miles. Used D.I.D X-Ring 520 VX2, with new JT sprockets as well, as difference in price was only £

Asthmatic snail 🐌 with a limp and Angina ?

TheEnglishman

Nah - that's about right.  You might get more, you might get less.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm on 11k miles with an PD Oiler the chain is always wet with oil and I'm seeing sprocket ware already, a slight hooking of the teeth, I'm expecting to get to 20k miles but not passed it. 20k is a good life for a chain set.

makman

My chain is gone.  Just failed MOT due to excessive movement on a chain that has done 5k....  I've had chains do over 24k as I clean and lube them (Sprint RS, FJ1200), but this one is just rubbish. Was apparently fitted new to the bike when I bought it 1 year ago, but must be a chocolate chain as it has tight/loose spots and although it looks to be in good condition, has gone to pot.  

Managed to get chain a bit tighter so it should pass MOT, but I'm very annoyed at having such rubbish on the bike.  The C&S look reasonable still, but I'll replace them along with the chain.  Had similar issues with brake pads from same place, gone in 2400 miles.  EBC Road Black pads.  Far too soft for such a heavy bike.  Hey ho!

Bought a DID ZX chain with Afam sprockets, will have them fitted next week.  Thankfully I due to how has panned out, I am not on the bike until Tuesday next week anyhow. So it works out for me anyhow.

Defender
1 hour ago, makman said:

My chain is gone.  Just failed MOT due to excessive movement on a chain that has done 5k....  I've had chains do over 24k as I clean and lube them (Sprint RS, FJ1200), but this one is just rubbish. Was apparently fitted new to the bike when I bought it 1 year ago, but must be a chocolate chain as it has tight/loose spots and although it looks to be in good condition, has gone to pot.  

Managed to get chain a bit tighter so it should pass MOT, but I'm very annoyed at having such rubbish on the bike.  The C&S look reasonable still, but I'll replace them along with the chain.  Had similar issues with brake pads from same place, gone in 2400 miles.  EBC Road Black pads.  Far too soft for such a heavy bike.  Hey ho!

Bought a DID ZX chain with Afam sprockets, will have them fitted next week.  Thankfully I due to how has panned out, I am not on the bike until Tuesday next week anyhow. So it works out for me anyhow.

Make sure they send you the right sprockets, as many suppliers use a list that has the rear sprocket list the same as the manual bike, but it's not!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
makman

Thanks. Yes, I was careful to check that this was specifically for the DCT model.  I'll double check when it is delivered as well.  

• Like 1
Defender
44 minutes ago, makman said:

Thanks. Yes, I was careful to check that this was specifically for the DCT model.  I'll double check when it is delivered as well.  

I did that, but still took 3 goes to get it right, the list that most suppliers use lists a 43 tooth rear sprocket for the '700 DCT version rather than 39 teeth.

Oddly the 700 Integra is correct, so in future I will be using that when ordering again, although I may try a 17 tooth front like the '750's run.

• Like 1
makman

Cheers for that.  Always good to make sure it is spot on.  I'm not sure the current C&S is correct seeing as how bad the wear has been etc....  I'll find out on Friday. new set delivered tomorrow and fitting at my friendly place on Friday.  I use the ramp there to sort my bike myself.  Easy with all the right tools and only costs me £25 for as long as I need. Owner is a long time friend.

• Like 2
Guest DelBoy
On 5/3/2018 at 20:32, jelle1970 said:

Hello my chain is nearing the end of life. Just 20000 km with a tutoro chainoiler. This is the first chain. But disappointed about the lifetime of this chain. 

You did well... The Tutoro has already paid for itself. The OEM chain is rubbish IMHO, If you replace with quality a Quality chain & Sprockets it will lats a long time with the Tutoro.

I atchually upgraded to a 525 chain, lasting really well and rarely needs adjusting (also have a Tutoro).

Guest DelBoy
39 minutes ago, DelBoy said:

You did well... The Tutoro has already paid for itself. The OEM chain is rubbish IMHO, If you replace with quality a Quality chain & Sprockets it will lats a long time with the Tutoro.

I atchually upgraded to a 525 chain, lasting really well and rarely needs adjusting (also have a Tutoro).

Gosh my Spilling is terraball....

Guest DelBoy
On 5/3/2018 at 20:39, TheEnglishman said:

Nah - that's about right.  You might get more, you might get less.

20,000 km = 12,500 miles, I didn't even get that (Mind you I did not have the oiler then). 

a tad messy but they really do enhance chain life.

Mike5100

I think they really are naff chains. By 12k Miles all my NC chains were shot. My Africa Twin is at 17k miles and chain is in great condition. Same maintenance regime

mike

• Like 3
Tex

The NC remains a ‘budget’ (ie.cheap) bike. It’s equipped with ‘budget’ components. You can go through it and replace chains, tyres, brakes, suspension with better stuff, but you will then have spent the £10k that it would have cost if Honda had used that stuff from new.

Like Mike says, the Africa Twin has a much better quality chain, but that was included in the higher purchase price. :) 

• Like 2
Rocker66
40 minutes ago, Tex said:

The NC remains a ‘budget’ (ie.cheap) bike. It’s equipped with ‘budget’ components. You can go through it and replace chains, tyres, brakes, suspension with better stuff, but you will then have spent the £10k that it would have cost if Honda had used that stuff from new.

Like Mike says, the Africa Twin has a much better quality chain, but that was included in the higher purchase price. :) 

Completely agree Tex. The difference in quality of the suspension between the NC and Crossrunner is really noticeable but then so is the price.

• Like 2
makman

The correct size C&S for DCT were delivered with the 520ZX heavy duty gold/black DID chain.  Also the doodah for peening the rivet set.  Next day delivery for free.

• Like 1
matt28

Nothing unusual, OEM chain at NC is pretty rubbish.

Just replaced my one last week, at 9000 miles.

Used D.I.D X-Ring 520 VX2, with new JT sprockets as well, as difference in price was only £10.

To keep it going smooth and clean, installed Scottoiler eSystem V2.

After approx 200 miles done so far, new chain is noticeably quieter. 

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest wolfram

Just replacing my DID 520 x ring chain after 16,000 miles - no chain oiler, no wax, hardly ever wash bike. It was knackered like - caused MOT failure.

Think about the cost of the maintenance, and the 'fling' - its just not worth it for any marginal extension of life. These new xring chains are so good they last ages without much attention. £66 for a new chain and sprocket set delivered. That's about 6 cans of the fancy chain wax!

Guest goldfish

I'm always amazed at how little life folks get from a chain. I'm up to 18k on the NC and the original chain is just fine. Did over 38k on the previous bike on the original chain. All I ever do is brush the chain with hypoid oil every 200 miles or so. Never use sticky wax or grease as all the crud in the world sticks to it and it ends up looking like super grinding paste.

Or may be I ride like a ....

Spindizzy
2 hours ago, goldfish said:

I'm always amazed at how little life folks get from a chain. I'm up to 18k on the NC and the original chain is just fine. Did over 38k on the previous bike on the original chain. All I ever do is brush the chain with hypoid oil every 200 miles or so. Never use sticky wax or grease as all the crud in the world sticks to it and it ends up looking like super grinding paste.

Or may be I ride like a ....

• Sigh 1
  • Haha 2
PoppetM
3 hours ago, Spindizzy said:

So rude, but hell I need to remember that line! :dielaugh:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
Scootabout

Since we're all pitching in...

OEM chain: about 16-17k miles, but by then it was clunking because of frozen links. Should have changed it at about 15k. 

Replacement is still going strong at 35k (aggregate, ie 18-19k for this chain). It's a DID X-ring (V2 I think). 

I use a Tutora oiler that I fill with Scottoiler oil.  I didn't use an oiler on the first chain for about 6,000 miles, though - just clean and spray with lube now and then. 

• Like 1
Guest birdyboy1

I am wondering if I should change my chain yet and if so whether I should get the honda chain and sprockets 140GBP or aftermarket about 65-80. My front sprocket looks very slightly worn although plenty of flat between teeth. I have a scotoiler, ride all year round in all weather and have done 30K miles, only adjusted the chain once I think. I am struggling to relate to the stories of rapid chain wear - I must ride like a pussy!

Wedgepilot

I got 19k from the original chain. Only changed it because the front sprocket was worn out, the chain was still fine. That's commuting all year round in all weather, salt, grit, etc.

• Like 1
makman

Well mine is now super smooth and so much better.  I do clean and lube it so it will last much better than the rubbish one on there before.

Just need to sort the chain oiler for it at some point.  I'm simply too busy!

8 hours ago, birdyboy1 said:

I am wondering if I should change my chain yet and if so whether I should get the honda chain and sprockets 140GBP or aftermarket about 65-80. My front sprocket looks very slightly worn although plenty of flat between teeth. I have a scotoiler, ride all year round in all weather and have done 30K miles, only adjusted the chain once I think. I am struggling to relate to the stories of rapid chain wear - I must ride like a pussy!

Generally speaking, automatic oilers do tend to prolong chain life.