Chain needs replacing

Guest jelle1970

Phewweee. Excuse me for repeating myself from another thread

I've just Fitted the DID   ZVM-X chain. 

What a difference. Its like a new bike. Everything is so smooth. Gears on the DCT are much more responsive.

OK I got 20,000 miles on my last stock chain from Honda. However it never felt like this before.

Moral of the story- Upgrade your chains  NC lovers. You will not regret it.

Mad thing is that a quality chain set and sprockets is also much cheaper than the Honda stock set. What a weird world.

My only gripe is that the chain came in black and gold.  :bye::cheer:Which is not really me. Oh well

Viva Integra

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• makman

• Tex

• EastSussexPete

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I think they really are naff chains. By 12k Miles all my NC chains were shot. My Africa Twin is at 17k miles and chain is in great condition. Same maintenance regime mike

Nothing unusual, OEM chain at NC is pretty rubbish. Just replaced my one last week, at 9000 miles. Used D.I.D X-Ring 520 VX2, with new JT sprockets as well, as difference in price was only £

Asthmatic snail 🐌 with a limp and Angina ?

gilesmdavis

Thanks to the forum I've got a set coming tomorrow,  for those that are interested, the wemoto.com chain and sprocket set for the DCT does have the correct sprocket sizes. (I'm not affiliated but have used for years on numerous Hondas and they are good).

My current chain has "lasted" 15,000 miles and now won't keep tension. Looking forward to a silky-smooth ride next week.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I've definitely learnt my lesson - having snapped two chains in the last 3 years.  I managed to get 25k miles from the first (non-Honda) one and £22k miles with the second.  Both ended up flying off the back of the bike at approximately 60MPH (honest, Officer!).  I've put the DID 520 (V2) on and it is a lovely chain.  Really smooth.  I've also replaced the feed on the Tutoro to a duel pipe and that seems to deliver the oil a lot better.

I shall be changing the chain no later than 20K from now on!

• Confused 1
Scootabout

That sounds a bit alarming. Did you do any checks for movement in the links? Was the chain at the right tension? Surely a chain shouldn't just snap and fly off? 

Alarming was one word for it.  I just need to change the chain a bit sooner.  I know I was lucky but I kept thinking "just a couple more hundred miles".  I won't do that any more!

EastSussexPete

Too much power to cope with.😂

• Haha 1
kayz1
1 hour ago, EastSussexPete said:

Too much power to cope with.😂

:muttley::muttley:

• Like 1

Interesting, modern chains do give some warning usually, needing adjustment after every ride, I put this down to the "O" or "X" rings giving up but it's just my theory. My last broken chain was in the 70s on a Tiger 100, but in those days everything was used until it would go no further due to lack of finance. 

• Like 1

i had a suzuki gsx400 that broke 3 or 4 chains always the split link that failed, one  snapped and the chain wrapped itself around the indicator stem and luggage rack luckily, as next in line of fire was me!

al

Still not had to adjust the chain.  Smooth and silky changes, and I do clean and lube it.

Had a snapped chain on two bikes. FJ1200... straight out the rear after tapping the front sprocket cover and cracking it.  Missed my foot, so I am happy.  Happened under acceleration and I was shifting at the time.

CBF500, was a faulty side plate that let go and thankfully the other side held.  Made for very lumpy riding home at a very sedate smooth pace.  Wired it together to get back to the mechanic to have the chain replaced.  Chain Manufacturer send a replacement chain FOC and were really excellent in their service.  Top notch!

Have since gone for extra heavy duty chains on my bikes.  Just makes sense to have the best of the best on the most essential part of the bikes drive train (and your brain!).

• Like 2

Ah, split links, once stopped at a services coming home from the TT, CB750 split link was there but noticed the securing spring was gone, luckily, being used to having carried spares for off-roading, I had a replacement under the seat. From then on I also used to paint the joining link outer plate to seal the spring in place.

• Like 1
On 16/05/2018 at 21:27, DelBoy said:

You did well... The Tutoro has already paid for itself. The OEM chain is rubbish IMHO, If you replace with quality a Quality chain & Sprockets it will lats a long time with the Tutoro.

I atchually upgraded to a 525 chain, lasting really well and rarely needs adjusting (also have a Tutoro).

Hi,

How has the upgrade to the 525 chain gone?? Also, what sprockets did you spec to make the conversion??

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Guest DelBoy
15 hours ago, kevcl15 said:

Hi,

How has the upgrade to the 525 chain gone?? Also, what sprockets did you spec to make the conversion??

Any info greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

My Mate sorted it out for me with a 525 conversion kit.

I have since gone back to std 520 but with a top quality DID ZVM-X I think and JT sprockets

4 hours ago, DelBoy said:

My Mate sorted it out for me with a 525 conversion kit.

I have since gone back to std 520 but with a top quality DID ZVM-X I think and JT sprockets

Cheers for the info Delboy,

Pretty much decided to go with the same set up to be honest (ZVM-X), it's just a case of finding the cheapest supplier....

For info, M&P have an open weekend this weekend and have 20% off on-line slaes as part of it......

Cheers.

Kev

• Thanks 1
Guest Smiffy

Everyone has different ideas about chain maintenance but I've always had the c & s  last well. I think this is down to my using the spray bottle with paraffin and a good quality chain brush that doesn't damage the chain seals. I normally spring clean the chain about twice a year. I've never used an on bike oiler but prefer to use the spray oils and waxes every 2 hundred miles. Current favourite is the 'muc-off dry chain lube'. 

• 3 weeks later...
Steveb2418

Pavlin from “ Motorcycle adventures” on You Tube has a short video on chain maintenance. Now this is a real adventurer who’s ridden 1000s of miles in all conditions on a Yamaha 660. He has some views on chain lubrication that will have a few on here shaking their heads.  Look up his “ Five things I wish I’d known “ video too , It’s the most motivational m/c adventure video I’ve seen .  He’s great !! 

EastSussexPete
1 hour ago, Steveb2418 said:

Pavlin from “ Motorcycle adventures” on You Tube has a short video on chain maintenance. Now this is a real adventurer who’s ridden 1000s of miles in all conditions on a Yamaha 660. He has some views on chain lubrication that will have a few on here shaking their heads.  Look up his “ Five things I wish I’d known “ video too , It’s the most motivational m/c adventure video I’ve seen .  He’s great !! 

He is guilty like myself of having an opinion without experience. He made a comment on chainoilers not being as affective as they say. But has he used one? (Ps. I was bored by the vid, so skipped loads. Sorry. )

Edited by EastSussexPete
baben

My Weestrom had an immortal chain. It never needed adjusting and it showed no wear at all when I sold the bike after about 15000 miles.  No, I cannot explain it either.

• Like 1
EastSussexPete

Sorry. My comment above was a rude. 

• 3 months later...
Guest Scooby_NOOB

About to change my chain and sprockets for the first time. I am a confidant engineer by trade, but i am not sure what the spec are for my 2014 NC750XA. 

I have found this LINK, but always i bow to your fine and grand collective wisdom and seek your advice. 

Andy m

Looks as good as any to me. Regina are a known brand, the sprockets are steel and reads like its supplied split with a choice of links. 

Andy

• Like 1

Regina were one of the biggest names (maybe THE biggest) in chains for years. Can’t imagine anything bearing their name to be anything less than top quality. Providing the sprocket sizes match - DCT?

Be very careful selecting the chain length and sprocket sizes, a lot of the catalogues have incorrect information.

Guest Scooby_NOOB
On 08/12/2018 at 09:26, Tex said:

Regina were one of the biggest names (maybe THE biggest) in chains for years. Can’t imagine anything bearing their name to be anything less than top quality. Providing the sprocket sizes match - DCT?

I have been told the following for my Non DCT 2014 750XA:-

New chain- 525 (is that how many links???)

New front sprocket- 16

New rear sprocket - 43

Please, can someone confirm for me, please? 

2 hours ago, Scooby_NOOB said:

I have been told the following for my Non DCT 2014 750XA:-

New chain- 525 (is that how many links???)

New front sprocket- 16

New rear sprocket - 43

Please, can someone confirm for me, please? 

525 is the size of the chain. Or, more accurately, the size of the individual links. The length will be given separately. E.G. 525X102 or 525X110 or something. The sprocket sizes vary between manual and DCT. I am sure someone who knows will confirm those for you, but the problem normally comes when fitting a DCT with sprocket sizes from a manual rather than the other way round.