corrosion on 2016 X silencer

iaink

iaink

I was wondering if anyone has had issues with the black paint peeling and flaking off the silencer on their 2016 model NC750X ?

F.Honda750xd

Yes I've a 16x and had flaking. Took it to the main dealer and they replaced the silencer. I've no idea whether it was a bad batch of steel or the honda sprayer had a bad day. It was within the warranty. 

Defender

PoppetM's 'S has that issue, it's quite noticeable, I would mention it when getting a service and ask for them to submit a warranty claim to Honda.

• Thanks 1
alhendo1

Mines has started to peel off under the heat shield....2017 model...I'll mention it at the service and see what's what....it's as if the paints really thin...straight through to the bare metal...👎

Edited by alhendo1
Andy m

My 2016 S was doing it when sold.

I'd I have probably got the exhaust paint out on the basis Honda will just keep supplying the same until the warranty runs out. A fresh one from the dealers could be a good starting point though.

Andy

wendeg

Can it be that the metal used for the can has some sort of rust inhibitor treatment which makes it hard for the black paint to adhere to? I stand to be corrected but there was someone on this site who had the same problem but noted that the steel where the paint flaked off did not rust. On the owner's manual I seem to have read that the exhaust system is stainless steel.

• Like 1
dazznutts

i had paint peeling of the radiator on my S back 2 years ago got replaced under warranty  

elbee
25 minutes ago, wendeg said:

Can it be that the metal used for the can has some sort of rust inhibitor treatment which makes it hard for the black paint to adhere to? I stand to be corrected but there was someone on this site who had the same problem but noted that the steel where the paint flaked off did not rust. On the owner's manual I seem to have read that the exhaust system is stainless steel.

Sounds right.

A month or so back I noticed a small patch of paint missing, no rust. Last week I took the heat guard off (one bolt) to have a look underneath. All was fine. Looking closely I saw some of the paint near the patch had a few small bumps in it, maybe a fine grit contaminant that is a focus for the peeling to start.

Shouldn't have happened as I've done 2.5K miles since new, only 200 over winter. Bike never got wet/salty and is kept ACF50'd and dry at the end of a well ventilated car port (think garage without a door).

Anyway, although I keep my bike cleaned and maintained I'm not bothered about pristine and accept little dings and scratches. If/when the time comes I'll dab some paint on it as I'm planning for a fancy new exhaust in a few years time. Also I wonder if anyone has stripped off all the paint to see what it would look like stainless?

• 2 weeks later...
alhendo1

Mines has started literally flaking off the underside of the exhaust....shockingly bad quality...dealers tomorrow! 

rab_not_c

A  year ago I had a replacement due to flaking paint on the exhaust on my 2016 NCX. Now waiting to here the response as a couple of weeks ago I discovered it had happened again.:ahappy:

Dave

:)

Andy m

It's a process issue then. Either surface prep, cleaning fluid not allowed time to evaporate or the paint itself. Typically the line is running too fast and/or the workers think more is better.

I think I would:

Stainless wire wheel to get off anything that will move.

Fine wet and dry to feather the edge.

Course paper to rough the surface

Clean with acetone or white spririt

Let it dry under a clean cloth overnight

A coat of BBQ paint

Get in mounted as soon as its touch dry

Italian tune-up to cook it on.

Andy

Edited by Andy m
alhendo1

Dropped by the dealer this morning. ..the tech took pictures of it and agreed it looks like it's really poor quality/bad prep or similar...warranty case will be submitted to the big H....hopefully hear back next week.

alhendo1

Failing that....as per Andy m suggest☺....

I called into the dealer in Glasgow, so pictures taken for warranty claim to Honda.

Waiting to hear their decision.

alhendo1
40 minutes ago, iaink said:

I called into the dealer in Glasgow, so pictures taken for warranty claim to Honda.

Waiting to hear their decision.

Victor Devine....that's where I went this morning. 

36 minutes ago, alhendo1 said:

Victor Devine....that's where I went this morning. 

Interesting.

When I called in last Saturday he told me mine was the first issue he had seen with the exhaust now he has two within a week !

Hopefully we will get a positive answer.

alhendo1
1 hour ago, iaink said:

Interesting.

When I called in last Saturday he told me mine was the first issue he had seen with the exhaust now he has two within a week !

Hopefully we will get a positive answer.

Here's hoping....we really shouldn't have to be stripping paint off a silencer/prepping and re painting. ...

Andy m

If they reject the warranty ask about each others claims and ask them to think again. Two words likley to concentrate minds in the warranty department "class action". Lawyers are almost twice as affordable when you share.

Andy

alhendo1

I've just spoken to them ...it's covered and the dealer is ordering the parts👍

• Like 2
5 hours ago, alhendo1 said:

I've just spoken to them ...it's covered and the dealer is ordering the parts👍

Also got a call today, silencer is being replaced under warranty so good result.

• Like 1
PoppetM

I got told at 23k mileage its wear and tear....thus outsid3 the warranty tjat is due to expire in July

• Sad 1

Replacement silencer fitted this morning  :sunny2: