Dealer adjusted the slack too tight

hypnotic

Tex
43 minutes ago, hypnotic said:

Do you think that tight chain could have caused some damage inside the engine that created jerks?

No. I think you need to just ride the bike. Get used to it and let it get used to you. As the mileage builds the ‘feel’ you have for the machine will improve and the two of you will become a partnership. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• hypnotic

• Rocker66

• Tex

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Leave it in, you are doing more harm running with no oil while the pump primes, disturbing aluminium threads etc.   10W30 means its a 10 on their viscosity scale when cold, 30 when hot.

I did the service only to keep the warranty, my bike won't see the mechanic again unless completely necessary. They mess up the work every time. I called them to tell them that the chain is too tight

Hi all,   I just have a quick question regarding the chain slack on NC750X DCT 2017. I took the bike to the dealer for 8k service. I haven't checked the slack immediately but when I arrived

arengle
On 08/05/2018 at 22:44, Bart Stilgo said:

Rocker, How?

Chain 'stretch' describes wear and tear.  Chain links do not stretch

The inner and outer plates have a fixed pitch the only way the chain can 'stretch' is for wear to take place on the components that are moving against each other, I think.

If after 'a few' miles from new there is sufficient chain 'wear' for adjustment to be needed then it should be replaced as will last no time at all (IMO)

Are we talking myths or facts

Comments welcome. :pirate:

:cheers:

Totally agree. The parts that wear in the chain are the bushes around the pins that connects the inner and outer plates, basically when the bushes wear the pins will no longer be in the middle of the hole but will move to the extremity.

• Thanks 1
Graham NZ

A worn chain is a common culprit when it comes to slow speed jerkiness.  They 'jerk and snatch'.  If you want your bike to feel amazingly better, fit new tyres and new chain.  The wear and deterioration comes on gradually and often un-noticed but renewal shows instant improvement.

• Like 1
arengle

a better document explaining chain wear

ScottoilerKnowledgeWorkshopv1.pdf

Rocker66
32 minutes ago, hypnotic said:

Can you recommend one? I dont mind travelling up to 60 miles out of London if they will  do a good job.

Are you in North or South London? If South why not an easy run down the M2/A2 to Kent M/Cs if your North London you would have to ask other members with a better knowledge of that area. May I ask which dealer you are using?

hypnotic
1 minute ago, Rocker66 said:

Are you in North or South London? If South why not an easy run down the M2/A2 to Kent M/Cs if your North London you would have to ask other members with a better knowledge of that area. May I ask which dealer you are using?

It was 1st line motorcycles but I heard good stories about Kent M/C, have you tried them?

Rocker66
4 minutes ago, hypnotic said:

It was 1st line motorcycles but I heard good stories about Kent M/C, have you tried them?

My wife and I have dealt with them for years and bought quite a few new bikes from them. I’m collecting a new Crossrunner from them on Saturday. People travel quite a distance to use them such as TonyJ of this forum who travels from Essex. Put Kent M/Cs into search and you will find several mentions of them including my recent post commenting on the service I received when buying my Crossrunner. If you decide to try them please give me a PM..

hypnotic
30 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

My wife and I have dealt with them for years and bought quite a few new bikes from them. I’m collecting a new Crossrunner from them on Saturday. People travel quite a distance to use them such as TonyJ of this forum who travels from Essex. Put Kent M/Cs into search and you will find several mentions of them including my recent post commenting on the service I received when buying my Crossrunner. If you decide to try them please give me a PM..

Will do.

Actually, I wanted to buy my NC from them but it took them 3 days to get back with the offer so I went to another dealer. It's hard to be patient when you are buying a new bike :-)

Edited by hypnotic
  • Like 1
Scootabout

I've been using Dobles in Coulsden since I bought my NC and have had a generally good experience with them.  For tyres, pads, chain and sprockets I go to FWR Tyres in Kennington, who are also good (and cheaper). 

Guest DelBoy
On 5/10/2018 at 22:07, hypnotic said:

Heard good things about Kent m/c's also.

I have had good service from 21st Moto in Swanley, probably nearer to you.

I also believe that Dobels are very good too, family run and they care about their reputation.

Rocker66
6 minutes ago, DelBoy said:

Heard good things about Kent m/c's also.

I have had good service from 21st Moto in Swanley, probably nearer to you.

I also believe that Dobels are very good too, family run and they care about their reputation.

I can’t comment about 21st Moto as I don’t know enough about them must pay a visit sometime. However when it comes to Dobles I have to disagree with you totally unless you think not only charging for L plates on a brand scooter but also for fixing them on the bike good service.

Guest Wilco

I can also recommend Dobles, I had a couple of Hondas from them, good prices, and they did a good job in getting bits off my old bike to fit on the new one,

Guest DelBoy
12 hours ago, Rocker66 said:

I can’t comment about 21st Moto as I don’t know enough about them must pay a visit sometime. However when it comes to Dobles I have to disagree with you totally unless you think not only charging for L plates on a brand scooter but also for fixing them on the bike good service.

I stand corrected. I have had no first hand experience of them, but have just heard good things.

I think that if I needed the services of a Honda dealer in the future Kent M/C's would be my first port of call.

Although 21st Moto Service dept have been brilliant regarding my Clutch issue etc.

• 1 month later...
On 08/05/2018 at 14:50, hypnotic said:

Got it last week along with the laser tool for alignment :-). Do you use chain monkey? I noticed that the head of the bolt is peeling off when tightening it against the chain.

The one I got stated: "Before you begin, remove black plastic cap from domed nut"

• Haha 1
larryblag
On 5/8/2018 at 11:32, Tex said:

Grrr.. what’s the point of paying for a dealer service when you have to correct it yourself at home later? :( 

I was just thinking the same thing Simon. I wonder how many on here have to "tinker" ourselves when we get our bikes back from paying good money?

I believe Poppet had a very bad experience at her first service and Trisaki had to sort it out for her?

• Like 1
larryblag

Mine was left with about 100ml too much oil in it. Had to suck the excess out. Sadly not uncommon either.