needle bearings - suspension arm

rjp996

rjp996

Almost got the bike back together after the disaster that started out as changing the front break pads and chain.....

Anyhow, I've taken the opportunity to remove the rust off the swingers and repaint, as well as service the rear breaks.

However, when I went to grease the needle bearings on the (not sure what its called) big block of metal that pivots and is connected to the lower shock most and dog bone things.. i pushed out the metal tube and one end was black, checking the needle bearing that side they are stuck solid, so looks like i need to replace the tube and bearings on that side. 

Has anyone done this, reading the manual it looks like you need a 17mm bearing puller and a slide hammer to remove and press to put back in - if this is so I may see how much it would be if I just take the part in to the dealer and get them to pull the bearing and put another in - it really can't cost more than 1hrs labour as there is nothing to remove from the bike.

trisaki

Find a small car garage that's got a bearing  press  probably do it for a drink -wemoto do bearings i  believe  

Edited by trisaki
Tex

If you struggle to find someone, Richard, get the replacement bearings and I’m pretty sure I can fit them. Honda don’t grease the things from new, that’s the problem. 

rjp996

Thanks Trisaki and Tex - looked at the tools (I love tools ;-), but looks like £300 in tools so going to order the bits and see if the local bike shop can do it at a reasonable rate - at least I know if they ask to much I can alway discount that if the cost of the tools and add to my collection:-)

embee

You can do it without special tools if you are canny. A length of threaded rod (studding) and nuts (Screwfix etc), some washers and odd sockets etc to use as spacers will do it. To get the bearings out, a suitable sized washer with 2 flats filed on it can be dropped through the bearing then turned to sit behind the bearing, so you can then press/drive it out from the other side into one of the above mentioned large sockets.

Use the new pins to align the bearings as you pull them together into the rocker.

I'm sure youtube will provide examples.

Alternatively take it to someone for them to do it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Croydonscooter
  1. I would be interested in the outcome of this question since the rear suspension linkages on my Integra often require a lubrication.   I have checked online and can see that the needle bearings are available for about £15 for four (BEARING, NEEDLE, 17X24X30 part number 91052-MGS-D31 on the Honda Fowlers Parts site).  Like you I don't wish to take everything apart only to find that I can't finish the job due to needing a bearing puller or press.   I have access to a bearing press at my work but it would mean leaving the bike in my garage whilst take public transport etc.   I don't even know if it is the bearings which are in need of replacement but if I don't frequently lubricate the suspension assembly it feels firm/hard over the many potholes!   Tex/Simon its interesting that you say they are fitted with no grease!  Sounds like a horrible mucky job and apparently you can use a trolley jack and jack the rear wheel up (whilst the bike is on the centre stand) and weigh down the front wheel/end.   But if anyone has any pictures of this procedure I'm sure many people would be interested in this as a how to procedure.   Furthermore maybe how to replace the rear shock without spending hundreds of pounds and perhaps import one from (Rocker ;)  dare I say it) China. 
skorpion
2 hours ago, Croydonscooter said:
  1. I would be interested in the outcome of this question since the rear suspension linkages on my Integra often require a lubrication.   I have checked online and can see that the needle bearings are available for about £15 for four (BEARING, NEEDLE, 17X24X30 part number 91052-MGS-D31 on the Honda Fowlers Parts site).  Like you I don't wish to take everything apart only to find that I can't finish the job due to needing a bearing puller or press.   I have access to a bearing press at my work but it would mean leaving the bike in my garage whilst take public transport etc.   I don't even know if it is the bearings which are in need of replacement but if I don't frequently lubricate the suspension assembly it feels firm/hard over the many potholes!   Tex/Simon its interesting that you say they are fitted with no grease!  Sounds like a horrible mucky job and apparently you can use a trolley jack and jack the rear wheel up (whilst the bike is on the centre stand) and weigh down the front wheel/end.   But if anyone has any pictures of this procedure I'm sure many people would be interested in this as a how to procedure.   Furthermore maybe how to replace the rear shock without spending hundreds of pounds and perhaps import one from (Rocker ;)  dare I say it) China. 

I think you will find that price is for each bearing, 4+ is the stock.

Enter the bearing size into a search and check bearing stockest prices, 

Croydonscooter
10 minutes ago, skorpion said:

I think you will find that price is for each bearing, 4+ is the stock.

Enter the bearing size into a search and check bearing stockest prices, 

Yes agreed given that the bearings from Honda are price each it would be better search elsewhere wouldn't it.  I thought it priced it per 4 but that is just the min order quantity.  On the bay it is about £5 each plus delivery maybe RS components are cheaper. When I get around to doing mine I may change the single needle bearing fitted on the damper/shock as well.   In terms of mileage in theory I can hazard a guess that they should not need changing until say 50k miles but I find that there are so many pot holes and sunken man hole covers driving around London! 

embee

If you replace the bearings it's false economy not to replace the pin also. Wemoto etc usually do kits with all the bits.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Can anyone recommend a set of tools that can be used to replace ALL of the bearings on the swing arm and linkage? Would this be any good

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0294

Would this kit fit the bearing used on the NC?

What would be used in a bike shop apart from Honda's official tools listed in the service manual?

I would really like to invest in a set of tools so I can do this work myself if needed.

gonzo

Would it be an idea (if possible) while your down there, to in stall a grease nipple , so future greasing will be easy..  just asking . !!

3 hours ago, djsb said:

Can anyone recommend a set of tools that can be used to replace ALL of the bearings on the swing arm and linkage? Would this be any good

https://www.motionpro.com/product/08-0294

Would this kit fit the bearing used on the NC?

What would be used in a bike shop apart from Honda's official tools listed in the service manual?

I would really like to invest in a set of tools so I can do this work myself if needed.

Would the Seally blind bearing remover in this video do the job?

TheEnglishman

My local independant bike garage is more than happy to just change the bearings if I do the donkey work taking as much of the bike to bits as I can.  

It'd be lovely to have a nice bearing puller set and all the tools but I can't justify it considering the number of times I'd actually use them.

Find a decent independant bike garage or bike friendly car place.

rjp996
On 6/16/2018 at 11:03, gonzo said:

Would it be an idea (if possible) while your down there, to in stall a grease nipple , so future greasing will be easy..  just asking . !!

Thats a good point.

Next time im taking things apart I think I will drill and tap a grease nipple onto my center stand