What a day

SteveM

SteveM

Well after a brilliant day yesterday and a long ride I found my Nc700 x DCT stuck in gear. The first time this happened I phoned my good friend Mark who told me to discount the battery for 6-7 mins then reconnect and then rock it back and forward while hitting the down shift to neutral. Happy day so I set off. Few miles later happened again. Did the same thing. 5 miles later same thing. Getting a little peeved now. Went along after the 3rd time, this time stayed in 4th gear and kept going, even when I stopped at the lights, kept going, set off in 4th and managed to get it home. It has stuck in 3rd,4th, 5th and 6th gear not 1st or 2nd. The battery should have been fully charged as I came from Skegness Saturday night and went all the way to RAF Cosford before this happened.

So my question is WTF. I have never had this done before after 2 years of ownership, seen it has happened before but I cant find a solution. Need this sorting soon as I'm going to Belgium in July and don't fancy calling the AA to get me home. Is it a lost cause?

My bike is a NC700 X DCT 60k on the clock. 13 plate (and Black lol)

P.S. here are my pics from the great day up to 1pm.

https://stevempics.smugmug.com/2018-Memorial-ride/

Dunnster

I'm sure an expert will help you soon, but could it be the gear shifter pin? 

kayz1

If it is the shift pin Steve you will have to get it here and i will do it for you..

Lyn. PS: did you get my text's?

• Like 3
SteveM

Cheers Lyn

makman

From the sounds of the issue it is the Shifter Pin.  Mine was sorted in 2 hours of work and £40 of oil.  Bike is back to smooth riding and higher MPG's again.  

Have a look at the thread I posted.

embee

It should be relatively straightforward on an X, it's a right royal PITA on an Integra with taking the plastics off. It has all the hallmarks of the pin, right symptoms, right age.

kayz1

Cheers all, Steve will do the photos as my interweb is far to slow to be able to upload pictures...

Good news they have no hidden nasties Murry.:D

Lyn.

kayz1

There you go Steve, £40 for oil..Do you want me to get the oil this end? then not so much weight for you to cart around!!
don't forget to check your insurance permits you to ride my scoot just in-case!!!!!  PS: when did you last change both filtres?

SteveM

Yes please Lyn. So what do you need me to bring, is it just the pin you want me to bring? Do you have the sealant? Could do with a full service too along with the DCT filters.

Tex

And while you’re at it could you just pop on a pair of tyres and a chain and sprocket set? :D 

SteveM
25 minutes ago, Tex said:

And while you’re at it could you just pop on a pair of tyres and a chain and sprocket set? :D 

Tyres and the chain and sprocket done last year  :D

Edited by SteveM
  • Haha 1
kayz1
32 minutes ago, Tex said:

no problemO:D

• Haha 1
kayz1

I think you need a gasket as well Steve, just thought i could get the heavy stuff for you.

When did you last change the plugs? Best ask Embee what is needed.

Lyn.

embee

Steve has messaged me and we have exchanged some info.

The clutch cover is sealant (I suggested Loctite 5980, which I found was easiest to get at Hafrauds), the gear shifter gear case on the left side, which you have to remove, is a paper gasket which is stupidly expensive for what it is. Mine was stuck firmly and was destroyed getting it off. I made one from gasket material which I had in stock but that is pretty time consuming. The gear case only has grease in it so no real sealing difficulties, but there is an oil hole at the top which has to be sealed properly so you do need to do it "properly".

When taking the clutch cover off there is a short tube which transfers engine oil under pressure to the clutch solenoids, it has 2 O-rings and fits between crankcase and cover. take care this doesn't drop out.

You need to take the load off the split gear on the crank by carefully levering the 2 parts and inserting a pin (6mm?) through the hole to hold them aligned, easier to see what to do than try to describe it.

Also take care when removing the clutch cover, the clutch support bearing dropped out when I did it, it was a slip fit on the clutch stub and a slip fit in the cover .............. and it slipped off. Make sure you have something clean underneath to catch it if it does drop.

Otherwise not a complicated job.

• Like 2
kayz1

Many thanks Murry..so just another day at the office then!:D

Tomorrow i have to make ( re-manufacture ) some parts for an old 60's tractor:oldfart:

Lyn.

• Like 2
horobags

I'd be be adding your tent to the list as well as the gasket Steve, looks like it could be a weekend away in north wales by the sound of the work involved!  !:D

I'm always glad to see Lyn turn up  on our euro trips, its better than bringing the RAC with us!! :D  :D

SteveM

Went on a blast yesterday, all was fine no issues. Went to work today all fine again too. On the way home happened again. thought I might get away without doing this but I think it needs doing now. going shopping on Friday for parts

SteveM

Ordered these parts today from Via Moto in Sheffield

24315-HA0-000       SHIFTER PIN

15410-MFJ-D01       OIL FILTER

90131-896-650        DRAIN PLUG

94109-12000           WASHER

15414-MEB-670       OIL FILTER SPRING

15412-MGS-D21      DCT FILTER

91302-PA9-003        O RING

As for spark plugs would these fit 0242236544 bosch

and going to order some power 1 racing 4t 4 stroke 10w30 4 litres

and going to order 102 RTV Silicone Sealant - 85g

If I have missed anything Lyn please let me know, these should be here before next weekend.  Maybe next Sunday for this Job????

kayz1

Did Murry not say you also need a gasket, he had gasket paper in stock to make one..So that is Sunday the threth of June 03/06/18

Also are the plugs not meant to be Iridium 1x   NGK ifr6g ?

SteveM
11 hours ago, kayz1 said:

Did Murry not say you also need a gasket, he had gasket paper in stock to make one..So that is Sunday the threth of June 03/06/18

Also are the plugs not meant to be Iridium 1x   NGK ifr6g ?

I cant for the life of me find the gasket on the fowlers website, any help would be appreciated. I will have to order this Tuesday now. I will find the right spark plugs too.  

embee

The gasket is item2 on the "reduction case" fiche here

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-67120-67120-NC700SDD-2013-E_19-NC+700+ABS+DCT+35KW.html

E_19.jpg

The 2 places I usually use for plugs are http://www.gsparkplug.com/ and https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ , be cautious using somewhere on the auction site as there are plenty of fake plugs around, especially the expensive ones. The Bosch ones Steve lists are a lot cheaper than the NGK IFR6-11K, I don't know if they are compatible.

SteveM

Everything turned from Honda, Day at Lyn's garage tomorrow.

SteveM
On ‎27‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 09:44, embee said:

The gasket is item2 on the "reduction case" fiche here

https://www.bike-parts-honda.com/pieces-honda-detail-67120-67120-NC700SDD-2013-E_19-NC+700+ABS+DCT+35KW.html

E_19.jpg

The 2 places I usually use for plugs are http://www.gsparkplug.com/ and https://www.sparkplugs.co.uk/ , be cautious using somewhere on the auction site as there are plenty of fake plugs around, especially the expensive ones. The Bosch ones Steve lists are a lot cheaper than the NGK IFR6-11K, I don't know if they are compatible.

Thanks for these links, ordered the spark plugs from the green spark plug company, fast delivery and cheaper than Honda.

• Like 1
kayz1

Well that was a bit of a let down::: shift Pin in A1 condition nothing wrong with it or the Shift drum center bolt that appears to be the same thing( but is NOT )

we did find the Neutral switch to be intermittent in operation, i will go the Honda dealer in the morning to get/order one.

Lyn. 

• Sigh 1
  • Sad 1