Dodogree

Rema Tip Top Tyre Puncture Repair Kit at the bottom of the frunk?

Dodogree

I got a Rema Tip Top Tyre Puncture Repair Kit (item no 162409303719 at the website that can't be named).

It fits perfectly at the bottom of the frunk, in the rectangular compartment that's supposed to hold the owner's manual.

Being right above the engine, this compartment is exposed to quite high temperatures.

Would you say it would be dangerous to store the kit there, given that it contains three compressed CO2 cartridges?

Tex

I doubt the frunk gets hot enough to risk the C02 cartridges, but I would find somewhere else to store it for the sake of the glue. This adhesive needs to be really ‘runny’ to aid the plug in slipping into the hole and (I suspect but don’t ‘know’) continual high temperature may cause it to harden prematurely.

Deltabi

You can easily place it in the tail space, under and behind the passenger seat. Wrap it around a plastic wrap in order to keep it dry. That's what I did with my tubeless tyre repair kit.

• Like 2

arengle

can someone just get a medical thermometer put it in that compartment and after ridding for a day come back and write the temperature :)

elbee

Does the frunk get too warm while moving? I think mine just gradually warms up from rising engine heat after the bike is parked. For instance, I don't notice my abus chain being particularly warm when I pull it out of the frunk.

Dodogree
3 hours ago, Tex said:

I doubt the frunk gets hot enough to risk the C02 cartridges, but I would find somewhere else to store it for the sake of the glue. This adhesive needs to be really ‘runny’ to aid the plug in slipping into the hole and (I suspect but don’t ‘know’) continual high temperature may cause it to harden prematurely.

Hadn't thought of that, thanks Tex.

I think I'll go with the tail space instead, sounds like a much safer option.

On a slightly different note, what do you store in the rect compartment at the bottom of the frunk?

Or do you just leave it empty?

PoppetM

I put my suit in there and after an hours ride it needs to go an a radiator in the office before I will change into it  :brr:

My Vespa’s under seat. storage used to “cook” it to a comfy toasty temperature...lunch had to go in the top box :D

Wedgepilot

My owners manual was in there when I bought the bike, so that's where I left it 😀 (and my puncture repair kit is in the tail)

Graham NZ

Heat build-up in the frunk was something I worried about but was pleasantly surprised to find that it remains cool enough for my sandwiches etc.  I do store a puncture repair kit in there.  Contact glue needs air to cure so as long as there is no air in the tube it should be fine.  The best way to ensure that is to have a new tube with the seal un-broken and if any is used then replace it with a new tube.

• Like 1

DelBoy

I carry a puncture repair kit in my "Frunk" have done for that last 3 years, no problem. 

Does not get that hot in there at all...

Bart Stilgo

Our friends at Aldy have push bike CO2 18gram cylinders and inflater

Not sure if they are worth buying.

Any thoughts :unsure:

Cheers