slowboy

A good day out

slowboy

What a great day yesterday was, had a ride out with a friend collecting points on the BMW club treasure hunt round Dorset.

We're both off next week to Bilbao for a trip up length of France for 9 days, then following that with a weeks touring with our VMCC section round Normandy.

I thinks it's going to be the little and large tour....(1200 GS and CRF250)

IMG_3137.jpg

Abbotsbury Swannery

IMG_3140.jpg

Hardy's monument (The Admiral, not the writer)

• Like 9

Tex

Be interesting to see if your pal’s extra 950cc give him any real advantage on your trip.. :) 

• Like 2

Trev

Popped into the Hardy monument week before last, bit gloomier on that day, pity as the view from there is superb.

I'm off to France on Friday with my lad, unfortunately (due to circumstances at the business) I can't get the ten days I was hoping to get so not likely to be bumping into a red CRF with sheepskin jacket while en France. Have a great trip Brian, look forward to catching up sometime :thumbsup:

• Like 1

slowboy
3 hours ago, Tex said:

Be interesting to see if your pal’s extra 950cc give him any real advantage on your trip.. :) 

The huge advantage is on motorways, the CRF is pretty much flat out at 75 (sat nav) where the beemer isn't 😉 And I can't just open up an go past stuff at will, its needs a bit more space and thought. Basically its 101 hp short😳

We've got 50 miles of motorway out of Bilbao then that's it, no motorways, no N roads. D roads all the way.

On the twisty stuff, not so much as you'd think, and off road, I'm pretty confident the advantage is mine.

Comfort wise there not much in it, and economy wise it's going to cost me slightly more than half what it costs him.

But that's not the point, the point is the trip and the company. And that's going to be good whatever we're riding.

• Like 8

slowboy
1 hour ago, Trev said:

Popped into the Hardy monument week before last, bit gloomier on that day, pity as the view from there is superb.

I'm off to France on Friday with my lad, unfortunately (due to circumstances at the business) I can't get the ten days I was hoping to get so not likely to be bumping into a red CRF with sheepskin jacket while en France. Have a great trip Brian, look forward to catching up sometime :thumbsup:

Have a good trip Trev, hope the weather holds up for you🌤

• Like 3

Trev
1 hour ago, slowboy said:

But that's not the point, the point is the trip and the company. And that's going to be good whatever we're riding.

So many of us (myself included) get caught up in the cobblers of 'we need this bike for that type of riding nonsense' that we sometimes forget - IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE :D

Thanks for the reminder Brian, enjoy your trip :thumbsup:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

DelBoy
On 5/16/2018 at 14:31, slowboy said:

. D roads all the way.

On the twisty stuff, not so much as you'd think, and off road, I'm pretty confident the advantage is mine.

That's the best way to do it :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Defender
On 16/05/2018 at 16:10, Trev said:

So many of us (myself included) get caught up in the cobblers of 'we need this bike for that type of riding nonsense' that we sometimes forget - IT'S ABOUT THE RIDE :D

Exactly right, that is so often over looked.

I've had that conversation many times, along with the fact the bike only has so much power or will only do so many mph.

Dave H

I’m currently down in Dorset ferrying the wife and another couple around the county, seeing the sites.  All the time I’m thinking what fun I could have on these same roads on a bike.

• Like 2

baben
1 minute ago, Dave H said:

I’m currently down in Dorset ferrying the wife and another couple around the county, seeing the sites.  All the time I’m thinking what fun I could have on these same roads on a bike.

Any time I on holiday in the car I am thinking, would love to do this on a bike. Then SWMBO says "you've got your bike head on - I can tell from the way you are driving."

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Dave H
1 minute ago, baben said:

Any time I on holiday in the car I am thinking, would love to do this on a bike. Then SWMBO says "you've got your bike head on - I can tell from the way you are driving."

Always a temptation, always dangerous.

larryblag
On 18/05/2018 at 20:16, baben said:

Yup. I do that. Taking it wide to the line on lefthanders, left front wheel almost in the gutter on rights lol

Mr Toad
On 5/16/2018 at 16:10, Trev said:

Spot on Trev and Brian. 

Several years ago I was in Germany and needed a break from the driving. I stopped in a beautiful village and went to the local cafe/bar, sat outside in the shade and on the next table was biker he was in his 70s and riding the 600 Yamaha Tenere with UK plates parked under a tree by the kerb, also cooling down.

We got talking and he was making his way home, he was two months into his adventure at this point and had ridden as far east as Istanbul with excursions to look at anything interesting that he either saw or was told about. He did't have a huge amount of stuff on the bike, a small one man tent and enough stuff for the odd night of wild camping if no accommodation was available as well as his clothes. I was interested how he managed, I was riding a BMW R1100RS with full touring kit at the time and it was him that started a change in my attitude to longer trips. He said that if you're doing more than 50-60mph you can't really enjoy the scenery as you're concentrating on the road, or you should be, and for those speeds you don't need a big bike and having a smaller engine meant that you don't get tempted to let the speed creep up. Also he'd been to some pretty remote places in Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria where there were very few people so having a bike you can pick up on your own if you drop it was important, especially given his age but true for all of us. 

• Like 6

elbee
On 18/05/2018 at 20:16, baben said:

"you've got your bike head on"

I've never owned a car but I drive my wife's a couple of times a month. Any passenger on the left gets a rough ride as I only tend to avoid pot holes appearing on my side. :blink:

Tex
6 hours ago, Mr Toad said:

Spot on Trev and Brian. 

Several years ago I was in Germany and needed a break from the driving. I stopped in a beautiful village and went to the local cafe/bar, sat outside in the shade and on the next table was biker he was in his 70s and riding the 600 Yamaha Tenere with UK plates parked under a tree by the kerb, also cooling down.

We got talking and he was making his way home, he was two months into his adventure at this point and had ridden as far east as Istanbul with excursions to look at anything interesting that he either saw or was told about. He did't have a huge amount of stuff on the bike, a small one man tent and enough stuff for the odd night of wild camping if no accommodation was available as well as his clothes. I was interested how he managed, I was riding a BMW R1100RS with full touring kit at the time and it was him that started a change in my attitude to longer trips. He said that if you're doing more than 50-60mph you can't really enjoy the scenery as you're concentrating on the road, or you should be, and for those speeds you don't need a big bike and having a smaller engine meant that you don't get tempted to let the speed creep up. Also he'd been to some pretty remote places in Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria where there were very few people so having a bike you can pick up on your own if you drop it was important, especially given his age but true for all of us. 

I’m so in two minds over this! Part of me (lots of me, really) know you’re right. Little Percy has more than enough ‘real world’ performance, honestly, he does.

So why do I miss a faster bike so bloody much (sigh). I’m not talking 140bhp fast, or even 140mph fast, just something that can pass a car at will. The most frustrating thing ever has to be following a car through some favourite bends because your (my) bike lacked the poke to pass it before them. 

I’m trying (chorus of ‘You’re telling us!!” ;) ) I really am. But I struggle. 

• Like 1

Rocker66
14 minutes ago, Tex said:

I’m so in two minds over this! Part of me (lots of me, really) know you’re right. Little Percy has more than enough ‘real world’ performance, honestly, he does.

So why do I miss a faster bike so bloody much (sigh). I’m not talking 140bhp fast, or even 140mph fast, just something that can pass a car at will. The most frustrating thing ever has to be following a car through some favourite bends because your (my) bike lacked the poke to pass it before them. 

I have just witnessed a case of deja  vue as your comments exactly sum up my feelings when decided to change from the NC to the Crossrunner. I now have more power than I need but for me  it’s like  having a meal better to have some left over than being left wanting more.

• Like 2

Rev Ken

And I DO enjoy my 90bhp F800GT! I don't use all the performance all the time, but it is nice to have it when I want to - or even more so if it helps me get of of a difficult situation. However I do recognise that over enthusiastic use of power can get you into a difficult situation, so am still trying to 'calm down'....

On Saturday I did a 140 miles very disciplined ride choosing best possible lines, and obeying every sign with half a dozen advanced riders over some torturous roads around the Lake District; Sunday was different with a 240 mile charity ride with 22 bikes. A 'less structured' ride with various riding standards, but no untoward incidents except for one burst radiator when reaching Newcastle. (It was for 'Jack's Journey' who has had leukemia from a very young age and whose parents have been raising money for a static caravan for holidays for parents and children suffering from this debilitating cancer. It started at Whitehaven Hospital A&E and we did the return trip to the Newcastle Royal Victoria Hospital, retracing Jack's first journey. We rarely hit a major road as we took the same route that his dad did with a group of cyclists. It was hard enough on a motorcycle!) 

This morning I felt a 'bit stiff' as the hammering my old boned took over rough, often single track, roads left me 'all shook up'. But I did enjoy it!

• Like 2

fred_jb
1 hour ago, Tex said:

I've always enjoyed the challenge of hustling a lower powered bike (or car for that matter) into getting the job done, and found it very satisfying, but to some extent I feel the surfeit of power I now enjoy has somewhat deskilled the process!

machinman
1 hour ago, Rocker66 said:

I have just witnessed a case of deja  vue as your comments exactly sum up my feelings when decided to change from the NC to the Crossrunner. I now have more power than I need but for me  it’s like  having a meal better to have some left over than being left wanting more.

Nicely put.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Tex

Thanks Rocker, Ken and, I think ;) Fred. Given a twisty road that’s free of traffic then the 50 odd hp I have now is plenty. But it’s the traffic nightmare of the south east that leaves me frustrated. 

Others here with a more, er, grown up viewpoint claim that any more than 19 hp is unnecessary. And from a strictly transportation side I don’t dispute it. But.. :) 

I either need to (a) just accept things as they are.

(b) find about 30 more hp

or (c) get a 300cc something-or-other and sit in traffic. :D

• Like 1

Rocker66
6 minutes ago, Tex said:

Thanks Rocker, Ken and, I think ;) Fred. Given a twisty road that’s free of traffic then the 50 odd hp I have now is plenty. But it’s the traffic nightmare of the south east that leaves me frustrated. 

Others h:rolleyes:ere with a more, er, grown up viewpoint claim that any more than 19 hp is unnecessary. And from a strictly transportation side I don’t dispute it. But.. :) 

Or be extra kind to Mrs Tex  and give her 11.300 reasons why you should.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Like 1

slowboy
4 minutes ago, Tex said:

Others here with a more, er, grown up viewpoint claim that any more than 19 hp is unnecessary. And from a strictly transportation side I don’t dispute it. But.. :) 

Buy what you want 😁, ride how you want😈(Within reason obviously), enjoy what you want😎.

Don't try to rationalise it, just do it and keep smiling.

Kawaski 900rs, now that's a very nice bike.

My choice, if I had the budget, KTM1290 Super a Duke R, comfortable, light(ish)(200 kg dry), mental (177bhp, 140nm).

My CRF250 can still nip through traffic though 😜, no need to sit in it....

• Like 2

Tonyj

I seem to fall into the matrix mindset , you can never have enough guns 😀.

my leisure biking is about excitement . Not bloody commuting , so I do like the excess. The impractical , the committed . Don't just want it to be about A to B . Hope that helps Tex , probably won't though . I'll let you come over and wash the superduke 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Tex
Posted (edited)

Ah, yes, Brian, I didn’t explain that very well. Of course any bike can nip through slow moving traffic, it’s the buggers doing 70 on a road with limited passing opportunities that Percy struggles with. 

That KTM sounds like my idea of hell. But if I get a big lottery win I’ll cheerfully buy you one. :) 

Edited by Tex

Mr Toad
2 hours ago, Tex said:

You think you're in two minds! 

At the moment I'm in about three or four minds and I wrote it. I know that my NC is just about the perfect bike, not too big but at 750cc it has enough power to comfortably cross Europe with enough gear. But, and this is the kicker, despite knowing this and having had several conversations with myself in my head I still find myself looking at the Africa Twin.

Then there's a part of me that acknowledges that the BMW was probably the best riding bike I ever had and thinks I should I should get another, specifically the 1200GS. 

Add to the mix the Crossrunner that Rocker has just bought, having looked at one in the flesh since it popped up on the radar so to speak, and there's the it's still small enough at 800cc but with a lot more performance debate. Faster than the NC but not as big as the AT.

And finally there's Triumph, I love my Bonneville and think that Triumph do some beautiful bikes not least the Tigers in both 800cc and 1200cc.

Like you Simon I'm trying really hard to be sensible and also like you I'm struggling......................

• Like 3