slowboy

A good day out

slowboy
1 minute ago, Tex said:

That KTM sounds like my idea of hell. But if I get a big lottery win I’ll cheerfully buy you one. :) 

You are too kind sir, did I mention I have a very long memory? 😂

Tex, whatever you end up with, if not Percy, buy it with your heart, and grin so hard it hurts😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

fred_jb
31 minutes ago, Tex said:

Thanks Rocker, Ken and, I think ;) Fred.

I guess I was just trying to say try to enjoy the challenge of making do with a mere 55 bhp or whatever it is.  In any case, even with that you have a far superior power to weight ratio than many cars, so with the benefit of your years of experience you should be able to make progress without too much difficulty.  On the other it does seem that you are trying to convince yourself that a change of steed is needed, I guess it has to be "needed" as "wanted" isn't going to cut it for the powers that be, especially after the investment in essential improvements that has already been made. You have my sympathy - when the upgrade bug bites it is hard to resist!  :drool:

• Like 2

Tex

Thanks Tony, your input does help. 

And you Mason. Feels good to know I’m not alone in this.. ;) 

• Like 2

Tex

Fred, you old sod, you’re so bloody spot on it’s actually scary.. :D:D 

• Like 2

fred_jb
5 minutes ago, Tex said:

Ah, yes, Brian, I didn’t explain that very well. Of course any bike can nip through slow moving traffic, it’s the buggers doing 70 on a road with limited passing opportunities that Percy struggles with. 

Ah I see, I think you suffer from the same affliction as me - you can't stand to have another vehicle in front of you!   That is why I find biking less stressful than driving the car, safe overtaking opportunities are generally much more plentiful on a bike.  However, I'm afraid that in this crowded country there is no real cure - having a more powerful bike just means you catch up with the next moving roadblock a bit quicker.   I find the only answer is to do most of my riding abroad.

• Like 3

Andy m
Posted (edited)

Poor old Captain Hardy, Nelson wanted to kiss him, people raise huge columns to remember them and the biggest perverts in the world (HM Royal Marines) are taught all about it just to really get the rumour mill going.

Decisions on bikes are difficult. For a test ride a big one always seems more fun (as Nelson said to Hardy), but when you get using them its like any one trick pony, the fun wears off. Power means weight and/or size and/or other extreme features like seats, bars and what not. Then there is cost. Drop that GS on a trail and you'll be ringing Touratech to order a crane and adding that to percentage of huge a few scratches knocked off the value. Next there is the question of where I can use 150mph performance. I have to travel 30 miles to find a motorway without cameras. They have average jobbies on the cat & fiddle and two Sundays ago there was a tax van between Ribbleshead and Hawes at 8am. I can get to Germany or a track one, twice, a year. A narrow light bike filters better which given UK traffic is a requirement.

At 2010's technology levels I think 30 HP per person is about right. The CB500 at 47 I'm having no trouble overtaking on.

I don't think you can decide this until you've tried a bigger bike and really got a smaller one working. The Bonneville suffers from 1990's weight levels and a 5 speed gearbox. I don't recall much trouble overtaking on that though. Wringing its neck for the last 200 rpm made noises out all proportion to the effect on say an MZ or XT600 though. It still did it, that motor is tough.

Enjoy the trip, the plan sounds great and the CRF would be my pick of the pair (bikes that is, not Nelson and Hardy).

Andy

Edited by Andy m
  • Like 1

Rocker66

I certainly wouldn’t want to try some of the overtakes I can do safely on the Crossrunner if I was on the CB500 or even the NC. Maybe you don’t have the amount of traffic and especially HGVs that we have down here leaving us with exactly the sort of situation Tex described.

slowboy
49 minutes ago, Rocker66 said:

I certainly wouldn’t want to try some of the overtakes I can do safely on the Crossrunner if I was on the CB500 or even the NC. Maybe you don’t have the amount of traffic and especially HGVs that we have down here leaving us with exactly the sort of situation Tex described.

Ah the troubles of the south east driver.

Like Crocodile Dundee said "this must be such a happy place all these people wanting to live so close together"

Sadly we outliers have to put up with the empty roads and empty spaces as we wend our lonely way through the endless green. ''Tis a tough life.😂😂😂😂😂

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Rocker66
5 minutes ago, slowboy said:

Ah the troubles of the south east driver.

Like Crocodile Dundee said "this must be such a happy place all these people wanting to live so close together"

Sadly we outliers have to put up with the empty roads and empty spaces as we wend our lonely way through the endless green. ''Tis a tough life.😂😂😂😂😂

You are quite correct places like the North and The West Country are great places to visit but I for one wouldn’t want to live in either. As to empty roads in your part of the country Brian  I can only say that’s not how I remember the A303 and A30 when we used to come and stay in Bodmin😀😀

If I wanted to live in the country side and I could persuade Sue to come with me I would move out of the UK altogether.

As it is where I live we have countryside coast quiet roads with open bends where you can see through several bends at a time and London all accessible in an hour or less plus we have France within a couple of hours. So you see in my opinion it’s far from being all bad.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

baben

Today I rode up to York on Tigger. I went by a tortuous route and found some empty tarmac and twisty roads. Any cars or lorries were easily dispatched and I scraped my boot toe on a couple of bends. All this and 61mpg. Damn near perfect bike!

• Like 3

baben

Today was another cracking ride over empty roads. North Yorkshire Moors and the sales. Unfortunately, south of Hexham I picked up a puncture. I could not fix it. The Rac man turned up and found six!! holes😣 Spookily the chap was called Simon and he races in Thundersport (?)

• Sigh 1
  • Haha 1

baben

Dales !!!!!

Tex

Six punctures?! That’s just greedy!!

;) 

A bit off your patch there? Yorkshire? God’s own county. (Although, having said that, there’s much to admire about my current location in the Cotswolds..).

• Like 1

baben

Am now in Northumbria. Off to Newcastle in the morning for a new tyre.

Grumpy Meltdown

Seahouses,  just south of Bamburgh.

Pinnacles chippy in Main Street, excellent eat in or takeaway. 🙂

Trev
On 5/18/2018 at 20:13, Dave H said:

I’m currently down in Dorset ferrying the wife and another couple around the county, seeing the sites.  All the time I’m thinking what fun I could have on these same roads on a bike.

Welcome to Daaarset, yup we've some lovely quiet roads and villages down here, the further inland from the coast you go the better it gets, biking wise at least, hope you enjoyed your trip :thumbsup:

Dave H
11 minutes ago, Trev said:

Welcome to Daaarset, yup we've some lovely quiet roads and villages down here, the further inland from the coast you go the better it gets, biking wise at least, hope you enjoyed your trip :thumbsup:

Yes its a lovely place + lots of museums to visit.  My wifes had her fill of tanks, cars, motorcycles & planes though.

Coming back in September, I wonder if I could talk her into the Army aviation & signals museums?

Trev
5 minutes ago, Dave H said:

Yes its a lovely place + lots of museums to visit.  My wifes had her fill of tanks, cars, motorcycles & planes though.

Coming back in September, I wonder if I could talk her into the Army aviation & signals museums?

Most ladies particularly love that museum :no:

Actually that's only a couple of miles from our factory so, as long as I'm around, feel free to pop in for a free (vending machine) coffee, your wife sounds like she would absolutely love a tour of a label printing plant as well :D

• Haha 2

Dave H
4 hours ago, Trev said:

Most ladies particularly love that museum :no:

Actually that's only a couple of miles from our factory so, as long as I'm around, feel free to pop in for a free (vending machine) coffee, your wife sounds like she would absolutely love a tour of a label printing plant as well :D

I wouldn't want to get her all excited. We know where that leads ... shopping.

Trev
14 minutes ago, Dave H said:

I wouldn't want to get her all excited. We know where that leads ... shopping.

You'll be fine in that respect in Blandford,  Westfield it ain't :thumbsup:

• Haha 1