James Russell

Mesh/Summer Jacket

James Russell

Hello All,

Does any ride in the summer with a Mesh Jacket. My Jacket has the pockets on the shoulders to let in the air. But I still get incredibly hot. And I don't cope well in the heat. I did have a jacket years ago that was Mesh when you took off the outer layer. Are there any good quality mesh jackets out there?

Thanks,

James

arengle

try a Rev'it Sand jacket ... I used in 40 degrees in Europe and had no issues, it has 2 large zips on the front another 2 in the back and each arm has long zips, you can adjust the right ventilation for you at the speed you travel.

• Like 1

Mike5100

I saw some genuine Honda mesh jackets for sale in the dealership.  They seemed to be a good price too at about £160 but they may have been on offer.

Mike

• Like 1

White Skark

How about this one, it looks good and plenty of ventilation, "Knox Zephyr Armoured Mens Jacket", made by Knox so should be good, Infinity are selling them £229.99.

PoppetM

Knox do them to. 

My Held has two inch mesh behind the front zip from collar to waist, I just unzip the outer zip and the wind goes right through it

Radarman
Posted (edited)

I have Rukka AiRider that is not really a mesh but so called Cordura AFT so gives you more protection over standard mesh but still allows air to flow through the outer layer. There's no airflow panels, basically the whole jacket (except abrasion areas) allows for air to flow through.

Bought it almost new for £150 which was a bargain price for that type of jacket... See Revzilla's review of it below:

7 hours ago, arengle said:

try a Rev'it Sand jacket ... I used in 40 degrees in Europe and had no issues, it has 2 large zips on the front another 2 in the back and each arm has long zips, you can adjust the right ventilation for you at the speed you travel.

Rev'it has just released 3rd generation of this jacket: https://www.revitsport.com/en/jacket-sand-3-43758.html#229

Edited by Radarman

arengle
55 minutes ago, Radarman said:

Rev'it has just released 3rd generation of this jacket: https://www.revitsport.com/en/jacket-sand-3-43758.html#229

I know, I have Sand 2 and I have no reason to switch to 3, plus Sand 2 was £250 2 years ago and now Sand 3 is £400. They also release Sand Urban, if you want to lock cool for £450.

Scootabout

I have an old Hein Gericke mesh jacket that I still wear in summer. It's the only jacket that is cool enough in the city in summer. It's also more versatile than it seems, because you can wear a light nylon windproof jacket underneath for cooler conditions &/or faster speeds, and/or a waterproof shell jacket on top to keep the rain out. 

Woody 99

Knox is the answer.

• Like 1

Tonyj

Depends on the budget and how much protection you're comfortanble with . There are loads of "mesh" style jackets but these are not very  protective other then the loose bits of foam etc in the corners or you have to make a jump up the ladder . 

The rukka air rider was a steal at that price and a very good deal indeed . Myself I have the rukka airman with the gore tex liner . It's very well made but rukka prices 😁 . I bought my suit from Germany as this isn't stocked here ,well I couldn't get it here .motolegends where very good though. I think you could skip the rukka  liner and get  a cheaper goretex inner coat ,  so far this has been very practical 

James Russell

Being really sad I have been looking at AplineStars as that is what I wear currently. I have seen a mesh one. But I was thinking about the level of protection. As I'm no the motorway most of the time, I SHOULD look for something a bit more substantial. Will have a look at the Rukka AirRider. That looks pretty cool.

wpbrown

Yes, I use a Knox Urbane mesh jacket. Brilliant in the summer with good protection for back, shoulders, elbows and forearm.

Coval

Revit Levante, a touring style jacket, comes with a thermal/waterproof inner/outer jacket, which if folded tightly, fits into a pocket at the rear of the jkt.

Have his and hers in black but they also come in heat reflective silver. Plenty of airflow on out soth european tours.

The matching trousers. called Airway, have long zippers running the entire length of inner legs for ease of access and ventilation.

Scootabout
6 hours ago, Coval said:

long zippers running the entire length of inner legs for ease of access

Too much information :D

• Sigh 1
  • Haha 2

Coval
19 hours ago, Scootabout said:

Too much information :D

are you trying to imply it is I who has a problem? :banana:

Scootabout
5 hours ago, Coval said:

are you trying to imply it is I who has a problem? :banana:

Put it down to envy :D

• Haha 1

Coval
23 minutes ago, Scootabout said:

Put it down to envy :D

surely, you too have legs? :geek:

but seriously,  the zips aid putting your pants on top of ordinary jeans when the weather isn't warm enough.

Ciaran1602

I use an Alpine Stars AST Air Textile jacket; comes up about £130 or so in various places. I actually find it a little bit chilly in some conditions like the motorway so wearing a thicker layer underneath is advisable though to be fair I feel the cold! Probably the best summer investment I've made. My Oxford jacket is too thick even with the vents open and my winter jacket is essentially a snowboarding jacket -> far too much!

suffolk58

For the last fifteen years or more I've been using a Frank Thomas mesh jacket. It's getting tatty now and Frank Thomas is no more. I'll continue to watch this thread with a personal interest.😀

Wilco

I think Frank Thomas was resurrected some time ago, J&S stocks their stuff.

coopers12345

I've got a Rev'it Tracer jacket that I brought for when I went over to southern Spain last year. They also do the Hudson which I believe is the newer version and they might even have brought out another one since.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/251001

ppeters
Posted (edited)

I have a Rev'it Airforce, which is a sporty mesh-jacket, shoulder and elbow protectors standard, back protector optional.

It's really breezy, feels more like you're just wearing a t-shirt. Arms get a bit warmer over time, but chest stays cool and ventilated.

Edit:

This is my first post? wow.... lurking for over a year now... :angel:

Edited by ppeters

Wedgepilot

Slightly OT, but has anyone tried the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket? I stumbled across a review recently and I'm intrigued.

Mesh summer jacket with armour, plus a waterproof outer jacket and thermal lining for winter. The review reckoned it was a genuine 4-season jacket.

Rev Ken

I bought a Richa mesh jacket for my European and Balkans tour, but bought a Knox 'turtle' back protector as I wanted the best protection and none of the insert back protectors covered enough of my back. It worked very well in extremes of heat and I even wore it yesterday, after a search though my bike kit!

Scootabout
On 25/05/2018 at 23:14, Coval said:

but seriously,  the zips aid putting your pants on top of ordinary jeans when the weather isn't warm enough.

Yes, with you on that. I have a pair of Berghaus Goretex overtrousers that I use in hot conditions. They are very light and have a full length zip, so you can slip them on over trousers and (hiking) boots. Very convenient. 

• Like 1